Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Samurai Swoosh

Default Re: Jordan Says Only 4 Current Player Could Play in His Era

Quote Originally Posted by BrickingStar
    LeBron would push off all day and would become one of the better defenders in the league in the 90's
    No one is saying it wouldn't allow him to be a better defender, but his perimeter game would be different. That's for sure.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Like i said 25 years ago Jordan had no rings. He was only in his 3rd year in 1987. He won his last finals in 1998, only 15 years ago.

Your "bigger, stronger, faster" comment was nonsense. do you have any actual documentation to prove this? I didn't think so.

The best pg in todays game is probably CP3 and he isn't bigger,stronger, faster than players in Jordans era. Centers certainly aren't "bigger, stronger, faster" than Drob, Shaq and Hakeem. What power forward is "bigger, stronger, faster" than Karl Malone?

No way Al Horford makes an All-Star game at center in Jordan's era.

Shaq played more in Lebrons Era than Jordan. Yes Centers back than were more skilled. I think the Difference is More Guards and Swingmen are long and athletic. I mean back than most PG's were between 6" and 6"2 now PG's are more in the 6"3 and 6"4 range. Now U have 6"8t o even 6"11 SF's back than most were 6"7 to 6"8. This is the reason why todays NBA there are more Small lineups or unorthodox lineups because the lack of True big men and the sIze and athletic ability of guards and Forwards. Also a reason why Fundamentals were lost because too many young players Relied on their athletic ability and looking for Highlight dunk rather than working on their shooting ability. As much as I dont Like KG he was a pioneer as one of the first 7 footers who can handle, run and shoot like a Guard or SF..The NBA starting changing from that point to where it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    Shaq played more in Lebrons Era than Jordan. Yes Centers back than were more skilled. I think the Difference is More Guards and Swingmen are long and athletic.

Curry
    Monta
    Beal
    Waiters
    Gordon (Eric and Ben)
    Harden
    Redick

Is this what you mean by long and athletic? Do you think these guys could guard Jordan?
    Last edited by tontoz; 02-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    Really you think Kobe would Dominate .. what a Shock.. Seriously you are a hack. It really must Irk you that there is a player WHILE KOBE IS STILL PLAYING that has passed him. Kobe might be most overrated player of all time. He is Very Lucky to have had Shaq win him 3 Ships while being the Complimentary piece and than playing with a Stacked Lakers team being the So called man. Whenever Kobe has not been on a stacked team he never has Carried that team to greater height than they should have achieved like Lebron did with the Cavs.

I wouldn't call Kobe the "most overrated player ever". That OBVIOUSLY going way overboard into tard territory.

Is he overrated? Perhaps. Some people rate him exactly where he belongs. Some overrate him, some underrate him. I can certainly think of players who IMO received more undue credit than Kobe has.

Jordan seems to forget he played a lot of his career in the 80s, an era of suspiciously high scores and statistics. Go watch games from the 80s and tell me today's stars wouldn't be able to score as much in that era.
    As for the 90s, I understand why he would make that point, but listing only 4 players removes all credibility from his argument...

Quote Originally Posted by Kovach
    Jordan's era didn't start with the 95 expansion. Late 80's and early 90's in general had much better wings than the league has today.
    I agree. I think people are thinking about SG's. And in my opinion, the depth of talent at SG's in MJ's era wasn't on the level of the 2000s. But wings ALSO include SF's. Hell when I hear wing player I first think of an SF or a SG-SF type. So when u factor in these SF's who played while MJ was in the L u can see that MJ's era had more depth among wings (SG and SF's combined):

Bird
    Nique
    King
    English
    Aguirre
    Worthy
    Mullin
    Pippen
    Dantley
    Kiki
    Chambers (played both SF and PF)
    X Man

If u look at today's SF's, Bron, Durant, Melo, and Pierce would shoot right toward the top. But the SF's like Gay, Danilo, Granger, etc. can't touch those guys from the 80's. In my list u have seven HOFers. King is a top 5-8 SF ever peak value wise and Aguirre was nasty and has as good of scoring skillset as any SF. The SF's of the 80's simply swing the balance of power of wings to Jordan's era. Even though my peer group the 2000s smoke the SG depth MJ's era had.

I usually hit open layups JD_TO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    I have a hard time believing the expansion team Raptors would give Wade many problems

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Jordan seems to forget he played a lot of his career in the 80s, an era of suspiciously high scores and statistics. Go watch games from the 80s and tell me today's stars wouldn't be able to score as much in that era.
    As for the 90s, I understand why he would make that point, but listing only 4 players removes all credibility from his argument...
    Yeah. It's called "nobody played defense in the '80's".

The toughest defensive eras were the 50's-60's and the the 90's. 80's were weak at best.

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Right on the money! The best of today would wreak havoc on the guys from MJ's era. But I think MJ's era had more depth from top to bottom overall. Mainly due to SF's and C's.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Right on the money! The best of today would wreak havoc on the guys from MJ's era. But I think MJ's era had more depth from top to bottom overall. Mainly due to SF's and C's.
    More depth or the illusion of more depth. By that, I mean, do you just remember more standout players? More standout players doesn't necessarily mean more league wide depth. Kind of the opposite actually. If you have 20 guys that stand out, that seems like a lot of really good players, but if you have like 60 really good players, it's only the truly elite players that stand out. The 50 or so really good players just kinda blend in.

What a ludicrous statement

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    Much of Garnett has been false bravado and manic 'look how crazy i am' posturing.. If he were to have played in the 'bad boys' era or in the knicks vs heat brawling type era, where rough play was permitted.. he wouldnt be the menacing KG that we know now. He would be a tough great defensive player but he would be one in a pool of many.

I would have liked to see him go all 'Your wife smells like cheerios' to Charles Oakley
    beyond the "menace" KG was a beast from 1997-2007. He dominated big men for an entire decade using more than "false bravado", last time I checked that didn't make you a double double machine and perennial DPOY candidate.

Kevin Garnett might be the single most underrated player in the history of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Kevin Garnett might be the single most underrated player in the history of the NBA.
    Manu Ginobili says hi.