Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore SFMF's Avatar

Default Re: Better defender in his prime: Kobe or LeBron?

Let me ruin this thread:

what about offensively?

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavageMode
    Can Kobe defend all 5 positions? Nope.

< Lebron

/thread
    Bron can't even guard 6'2 Jason Terry

lulz

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    I don't know, but he found a way to pull it off.

Anyway, it's Kobe and I don't think it's even that close. Prime Kobe was a complete lockdown defender. Honestly one of the best perimeter defenders I have ever seen.

NUGGETS ALL THE WAY Mr Clutch Melo's Avatar

Lebron

Saw a basketball once

Lebron is a better shotblocker, I dont think he can move fast enough to guard fast point guards, but seems to make that up by making most of his blocks from blindspots.

Kobe can play better one on one defense but he should not been awarded so many first defensive team awards.

National High School Star

Kobe's 1st team all defenses are unbelievably bogus. I love it when Doug Collins called him out for this years ago saying coaches just voted for him because they were too lazy to really think it over. Kobe at his best was a good defender but nowhere near the impact Lebron has.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Kobe is the most overrated defender of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    This.

Both overrated, Lebron better overall. He covers so much ground with his help d. Kobe was a better man defender and played better ball denial, but Lebron's ability to help and recover and get back in transition makes him more impactful.

Kobe was the better man-to-man defender, while Lebron is much more versatile.

Which one is better really depends on the rest of the team, since that will determine which quality you need more.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I'm not even sure I'd call Kobe a great one on one defender as many seem to allude to or believe.

He's had his moments sure, but in order to be a great defender they need consistency, and Kobe hasn't demonstrated that in his entire career.

Even some of the most reasonably ardent Kobe fans will acknowledge that Kobe picks and chooses when he wants to play defense, which is an acknowledgement that he's inconsistent.

I've seen nobodies get career highs ON Kobe, and I've seen many players light him up far more consistently than he's stopped or locked down. Kobe would get good defensively play that gets tons of views, but people would ignore the shitload of defensive mistakes and simply his carelessness/laziness. Just like with his shots, game winners etc.... people concentrate on his shining moments but are blind to the FACT that he's failed more than he's shined.

Now... Bron at least tries to play hard more frequently and is obviously superior on the open court and as a help man. One on one he gets outmatched because he's not as quick laterally and tends to have a bad defensive posture compared to Kobe. Bron also lacks some of Kobe's defensive awareness in one on one situations (again... when Kobe wants to play defense). But one of the most important defensive principles is WANTING to play defense, and Bron just happens to wanna play defense more than Kobe. And imo that's what separates Bron from Kobe even more than his athleticism.

IF Kobe had wanted to focus more on defense like Bron has, his athleticism wasn't so underwhelming (when compared to Bron) that he wouldn't be able to be more disruptive. His instincts, reflexes, and overall IQ are better than Bron's.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Fact. Better defender? Lebron, easily.

What kind of joke is this ? Kobe's defense so overrated...

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas666
    Lebron is a better shotblocker, I dont think he can move fast enough to guard fast point guards, but seems to make that up by making most of his blocks from blindspots.

Kobe can play better one on one defense but he should not been awarded so many first defensive team awards.
    Derrick rose is the fastest pg in the league.Lebron literally crushed him.Besides iverson,rose may be the fastest and most agile pg of alltime.

I think he is by far the best pg defender in the league.However,His versatility what makes him so good.He is heats best center,pf,pg,sg,pg.(defensively).

im a superhero

kobe was one of the best i've seen at denying his man the ball. if not the best.

but, some of you saying kobe is better man to man than lebron? get real. lebron is honestly one of the best man to man defenders i've seen. that is his forte, not help D.

lebron has this to answer the question.