Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default The NBA Should Expand to 32 Teams

The following is a blueprint to how Stern and all the other bigwig executives and GM's of the National Basketball Association could make NBA Basketball more awesome and open up new tv markets etc etc:

1. 32 Teams, Divided up into 2 Conferences of 16 AND 8 divisions of 4

2. Top 2 teams from each division and the top top 3 3rd place teams of a decision have a shot at postseason. ( I know I worded this weirdly if you can't picture this in your head right now just know that 22/32 teams have a postseason)

3. Seeding: Of the 11 teams that qualify in each conference, the top 7 automatically get conference quarterfinal spots. The team that finished 2nd place in it's division but has a worse record than all the other teams that placed 2nd in their division, gets the 8th seed. 9th-11th seeds are the three teams that finished third in their division with the best records.

4. Play-in rounds: 8th seeds plays 11th seed in a 3 game series and the winner of that plays the winner of a 3 game series between the 9th and 10th seeds in a 5 game series.

5. Rest of Playoffs are the same as we have now. Note: the play-in rounds are added to deter teams from tanking.

6. Draft expanded to 65 picks, the 1st pick is available to any team that didn't qualify for it's conference quarterfinal, so if your team lost in the play-in rounds they still have a shot at the 1st overall. The 1st pick is awarded to the team that the 32 league General Managers vote to have been the most sportsmanlike and upheld the highest standard of competitiveness and fairness in the previous season. Note: The general managers of the 16 teams eligible for this aren't allowed to vote for their own team

6.The remaining 64 picks is distributed evenly to the 32 teams based on overall record.

7. The Sprite Slam Dunk contest will feature both NBA players and non-NBA players.

8. All current NBA officials are paid a sum of money equal to the amount they would make in 3 years of officiating and then are replaced by High Tech Computer Machines that make 99.98% accurate calls. The only human official needed is a referee that looks for unsportsmanship like conduct and other infractions that warrant a technical foul. This official is not decided beforehand but is a random celebrity chosen from the courtside seats.

Come on NBA do it, bring the league back to Seattle and to the shores of Baltimore/Conneticut

Default Re: The NBA Should Expand to 32 Teams

Take away 2 teams, not add 2. Too many bad teams as it is, why dilute the league even further

NBA Fan

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Take away 2 teams, not add 2. Too many bad teams as it is, why dilute the league even further
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    This. There's enough bottom feeders as it is thank you

having lived in Europe and watched how pro soccer works a little bit, I will say add 2 teams too.

But divide or add a new categorization of League 1 and League 2.

That's 16 teams per league. Basically League 1 would have all of the best teams arbitrarily determined (best record since last 8-10 years.

League 2 would most likely have Wizards, Kings, Bobcats, TWolves, etc... (all the way to 16 teams).

League 1 and League 2 teams would play each other only twice a year (once at each other's arena).

Imagine having to watch the Celtics and Lakers play more than twice per regular season. money jackpot for ratings and hype.

The 2 new teams added would be Kansas City and Seattle. More than likely they will be relegated to League 2.

Adding 2 more teams will give more opportunities for potential to want to make money and the League 1 and 2 categorizations are great for fans as it matches the best teams more often against each other.

Stick to OTC kid

Nba should eliminate Bobcats, Wizards, Hornets, Sacramento, and shorten the amount of games.

Quote Originally Posted by 9512
    having lived in Europe and watched how pro soccer works a little bit, I will say add 2 teams too.

That's 16 teams per league. Basically League 1 would have all of the best teams arbitrarily determined (best record since last 8-10 years.

League 2 would most likely have Wizards, Kings, Bobcats, TWolves, etc... (all the way to 16 teams).

League 1 and League 2 teams would play each other only twice a year (once at each other's arena).

Imagine having to watch the Celtics and Lakers play more than twice per regular season. money jackpot for ratings and hype.

The 2 new teams added would be Kansas City and Seattle. More than likely they will be relegated to League 2.

Adding 2 more teams will give more opportunities for potential to want to make money and the League 1 and 2 categorizations are great for fans as it matches the best teams more often against each other.
    That's actually really interesting.

Bring back the Hornets to Charlotte.

Send the Bobcats to Vancouver. Vancouver Bobcats

I want to see an NBA team in Mexico or Las vegas.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

I do like the idea. Especially relegating or promoting teams based on end of year record. My only concern is trying to get signings if you are already in the lower division? Who wants to spend at least a season (if not their entire contract) with no possible chance at making the actual playoffs?

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

I've always loved the two league system in football. Encourages teams to perform their best every year so they don't drop out of the top league and the competition would be awesome. The best part is that the games in the second league wouldn't necessarily suck. Teams like the Twolves, Jazz, and Cavs would still be fun to watch. And the frequent exchange of teams between the two leagues would keep things interesting.

Damn. Now I'm almost sad it'll never, ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    Stick to OTC kid

Nba should eliminate Bobcats, Wizards, Hornets, Sacramento, and shorten the amount of games.
    That would realistically be not viable. No owner will want to relinquish and told he can no longer own a team (cough make money cough). This is America the home of capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Bring back the Hornets to Charlotte.

Send the Bobcats to Vancouver. Vancouver Bobcats

I want to see an NBA team in Mexico or Las vegas.

This.

There should be the Las Vegas Kings
    And a team in Tijuana, Mexico.

Memphis should move to the East, which will balance out the talent

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    I do like the idea. Especially relegating or promoting teams based on end of year record. My only concern is trying to get signings if you are already in the lower division? Who wants to spend at least a season (if not their entire contract) with no possible chance at making the actual playoffs?
    Honestly, I haven't thought of this entirely through because I am not as knowledgeable in sports business.

Do you mean mid season signings?

the salary caps will stay the same but the league 1 and 2 will separate those who care about winning out of those who don't care as much.
    Last edited by 9512; 03-13-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    My initial thought was to make the salary cap larger in the bottom league, but I'm not sure how financially viable that is, as they'd be making less money than the teams in the top league.

Quote Originally Posted by Djahjaga
    I've always loved the two league system in football. Encourages teams to perform their best every year so they don't drop out of the top league and the competition would be awesome. The best part is that the games in the second league wouldn't necessarily suck. Teams like the Twolves, Jazz, and Cavs would still be fun to watch. And the frequent exchange of teams between the two leagues would keep things interesting.

Damn. Now I'm almost sad it'll never, ever happen.
    Yes that's what I had in mind. There would be an arrangement between a marquee team from League 1 who would play against a league 2 team on national TV to give exposure of the League 2 team.

The lottery teams all go to League 2 (negotiable though). So imagine a much hyped #1 pick going up against the Heat or Lakers.