Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do America actually need a wall?

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Nope. It won't solve or even solve 30% of the illegal immigration issue. Folks will simply shift patterns to crossing across in oceans or more in visa overstays.
    Well, we

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    You guys understand visa overstayers are the highest percentage right
    They’re not. Visa overstays account for roughly 40%. The other 60% are illegal entry.

College star

If you truly believe in capitalism, and understand the beauty of the free market, you have to be against the wall. Using the state to artificially control immigration and who can enter the labor pool is like any other economic regulation. It drives up prices and costs the tax payers tons of money. There must be an open border and labor market, allowing for the sort of competition capitalism is based on. Which will calibrate wages to their natural levels and help businesses run much more efficiently.
    Last edited by Norcaliblunt; 01-07-2019 at 12:17 PM.

[QUOTE=NumberSix]Well, we

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
    If you truly believe in capitalism, and understand the beauty of the free market, you have to be against the wall. Using the state to control immigration and who can enter the labor pool is like any other economic regulation. It drives up prices and costs the tax payers tons of money. There must be an open border and market for labor allowing the sort of competition capitalism is based on which will calibrate wages to their natural levels and help businesses run much more efficiently.
    You know what the first thing the British Empire did was after banning slavery in their colonies?

Take a place like Jamaica. You

You know what Trump should do is just get on Twitter and tell everyone we already built the wall. It's the greatest wall ever and Mexico paid for it.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

We need to deter criminals terrorists smugglers and whatever else. A wall would stop some of that. We just have to convince our friends in Mexico that it will do enough good to justify spending over 5 billion dollars and Trump's promise will be filled.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
    a wall isnt perfect. nothing is. but its better than nothing and trump was elected by the people because he promised a wall.. so for the dems to block something the people want is kinda ****ed up if you ask me

If enough people wanted it they would have the votes in Congress. They don’t.

This is how it’s supposed to work.

The president isn’t as powerful as you seem to think nor does he have the support.

The leader is always apathy....and second? Democrats usually. Republicans have received more votes in a presidential election once in 30 years. 2004. In 2018 democrats got 9 million more votes....with the border issue being front and center. By votes? They had their best outing relative to Republicans since the watergate scandal.

But there is hardly a mandate either way.

It isn’t often enough of the country goes either way to make these things easy.

Democrats had 60 votes in the senate and a 255 to 179 lead in the house in 2009 and shit was still difficult.

It’s hard to pass anything the other side doesn’t want without an overwhelmingly dominant election night and Trump has never had one.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
    i'm seeing the emperor is tryna declare a national state of emergency to try to get da wall built? this dude really painted himself into a corner with this one.
    lol

Donald J. Trump
    ‏@realDonaldTrump

I am pleased to inform you that I will Address the Nation on the Humanitarian and National Security crisis on our Southern Border. Tuesday night at 9:00 P.M. Eastern.
    all the major networks have cleared their 9pm broadcast slots.

martial law's finally incoming to 'murrica. time to exercise that 2nd amendment freedom. get your milita ready.

what a time.

Id imagine he declares an emergency to divert funds to build....then we see how many rounds the fight lasts in court after a judge stops him and we get new "A judge shouldnt be able to stop a president!" arguments from people who dont know how America was designed. I wonder how ignoring judges using emergency powers works in 2019. Lincoln got away with it....but it was a literal war.

[QUOTE=NumberSix]They

Now that Canada doesnt require a visa to go there from mexico apparently people just fly there and walk across in Vermont.

There are places one neighborhood is split by the border. Im sure terrorists are unaware.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    And those 60% are split into multiple ways of entry

-boats/cargo ships, wall does nothing
    -hidden in vehicles for border crossing, wall does nothing
    -sneaking in small planes for smuggling, wall does nothing
    -paying for access through tunnel underneath the border, wall does nothing
    -walking across border

4 out of 5 ways unaffected by wall
    Yes, all those poor Mexicans sneaking in aboard their private jets and boats.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Yes, all those poor Mexicans sneaking in aboard their private jets and boats.
    More like single engine Cessna and small boats run by smuggling companies whose business is getting people across.