Local High School Star

Default What to do on an off shooting night?

I just had one of the worst games ever, shooting like 2/20. Fyi, I am generally regarded as one of the best shooters, but I just felt off today and every shot does not feels right. I ever shot 96/100 from the free throw line in practice so its not that I cannot shoot.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: What to do on an off shooting night?

You'll get a lot of "do other things", "play D", "get on the glass", type of responses, all of which are true. But they should sorta be true all the time anyway.

But if you're really a shooter, and you're not feeling it, there are a few things that are specifically applicable. First, use your threat. Shot fake every time you catch the ball. If you're uncomfortable enough to question your shot, you should at least be shot faking all the time. If you have the shooter rep, it'll keep defenses running at you, or even better sticking to you. It'll help everyone else. And the real get is to get someone off their feet so you can get by. Draw a foul and get to the line, it's the best way to shake loose your stroke.

The other one is to keep moving. Move without the ball all over. Create passing angles to yourself. That activity, combined with the shot fakes, is often enough to make the only person playing to realize you're in a slump is you.

Just pass the ball to an open teammate.

Earned not given

Keep shooting. Everyone has an off night, even the greats. The moment you lose confidence in your shot is the moment the defense wins.

Love Live Life

Drive and try to get on the free throw line. Look to hit open teammates. If you can shoot then your shot will come.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Drive and try to get on the free throw line. Look to hit open teammates. If you can shoot then your shot will come.

Find out what you are doing wrong with your body when shooting and then fix it.

Learning to shoot layups

Get in a rhythem. Be the point and facilitate. Slash to the basket and if you get an open look, take the layup. Otherwise kick the ball out. It gets your confidence up.
    Then play lockdown D. I'm taking about quick, shuffle feet, fast hands, and play in the passing lanes. Create fast breaks and be a garbage man. DON'T keep chucking shots unless you get hot. That hurts your team.

Decent playground baller

first thing i do is stop trying to force or create my own shot.

create for others with the dribble, make screens for the ball and off ball and play intense defense

now as for the shot, you should very much try to correct it.

you have to stick to a form that you are comfortable with, and you should know the ins and outs of it and know the "feeling" of your shot well.

this way you know what is wrong with your shot the way it misses.

for example:

if the shot is consistently short, you should try to get a feel of your release point, chances are you are probably releasing it late, due to fatigue or lack of focus.

take the open shot even if you are missing, no point in giving up a good look, but always try to make the adjustment by being aware

NBA Superstar

Drive to the rim and quick shooting so much.

OP, my best advice is to keep on shooting even if you've missed your first 6 shots. If shooting is your strength and you decided that tonights not going to be your night, well, you've already admitted defeat.
    I find doing shooting motions at every chance is a great tool to get you back on track and also get a feel for the ball/cradle it

Wow what a beta question.

Ask Black Mamba that