Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller
    "?So while everyone screaming YIPPEE for the new ball, that is the least of the problems. Stern threw u a bone and you're happy but you ignore the crappy yard you play in.

Stern wins again."

You WANT to see your players energy get pointlessely wasted in a no-win argument? ... let a coach work the refs...

Players have been barking at officials since the game first started. How is energy being wasted? Nonsense. This isnt Catholic school where the refs are the nuns and if you talk you get smacke with the ruler. Come on...the rule is pathetic and POINTLESS. And coaches workin the refs only extends so far before they draw a tech. Stop it. Just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    You can bet that the ONLY reason they are switching back is because of the cuts players are getting. In the end it's just a ball and any effect on gameplay itself is minimal at best. I wouldn't be surprised if Spalding addresses the cutting issue and the new ball(an improved version) is back as soon as next season.
    That wouldn't surprise me either, but you can bet that when/if the new ball is ready, it will have gone through a lot more player testing than just a few old retired players. The faces of the league will have to unanimously back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB

Players have been barking at officials since the game first started. How is energy being wasted? Nonsense. This isnt Catholic school where the refs are the nuns and if you talk you get smacke with the ruler. Come on...the rule is pathetic and POINTLESS. And coaches workin the refs only extends so far before they draw a tech. Stop it. Just stop.
    I don't have a problem with players and refs interacting. I have a problem with players arguing EVERY single damn call that there is. I think the big difference here is the way players plead their case. Throwing a fit like a two year old stomping your feet on the floor, and throwing your arms up in the air like you;ve never commmited a foul in your life is completely uneccassary. The quick t's were kind of like baptism by fire type deal to get the players to think about the way they talked and complained to the refs. Now, the quick t's aren't there as much anymore, and most players don't act like some kid stole their favorite toy.

I rule the local playground theinfamousmobb's Avatar

Sweet, now Wade will actually start making his bank shots like he was last season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Stephen A Smith made a good point. Stern gives the players the ball. He now hs fans/players talkin about that and overlookin the fact he doesnt CARE about giving in to the ball issue. What he wont give in is the refs slapping players quickly for verbal harrassment during a game. THAT is what he cares about and he will fight tooth and nail to keep that rule in effect and enforced.

So while everyone screaming YIPPEE for the new ball, that is the least of the problems. Stern threw u a bone and you're happy but you ignore the crappy yard you play in.

Stern wins again.

you cant win against a dictator with that much power. Anyone else would take some major heat for screwing up the ball issue like this or it even becoming an issue when it was never an issue before this season. Stern did it on his whim, just like all these other new rules. Almost anyone that ****ed up like that would get fired or some backlash but Stern doesnt really answer to anyone.

and Stern pretty much had to do it with the ball cutting some players fingers. They talked about it last night in the Suns game with Nash and how he had to bandage his fingers. one of the commentators said it looked pretty nasty.

its just stupid tho how they changed it in the first place because some owners wife whos into PETA reccomended they change it in passing to Stern. Dude is like Mousalini of the NBA :rollingeyes:

"?Players have been barking at officials since the game first started. How is energy being wasted? Nonsense. This isnt Catholic school where the refs are the nuns and if you talk you get smacke with the ruler. Come on...the rule is pathetic and POINTLESS. And coaches workin the refs only extends so far before they draw a tech. Stop it. Just stop."?

Its always annoyed me, and it wasnt until the 90s that players really started becoming very whiny and recently it was just getting dumb. Why defend this behavior? I dont get it.

Watch classic NBA and notice how the players were cooler in the 70s and 80s... they didnt complain like *****es.
    Last edited by 305Baller; 12-11-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Good High School Starter lakers-city's Avatar

first good decision by stern since like...forever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rab
    I don't have a problem with players and refs interacting. I have a problem with players arguing EVERY single damn call that there is. I think the big difference here is the way players plead their case. Throwing a fit like a two year old stomping your feet on the floor, and throwing your arms up in the air like you;ve never commmited a foul in your life is completely uneccassary. The quick t's were kind of like baptism by fire type deal to get the players to think about the way they talked and complained to the refs. Now, the quick t's aren't there as much anymore, and most players don't act like some kid stole their favorite toy.

well its not like they can because they'll get a quick T. Theres a difference between tightening up on the players crying and this no tolerance that Stern put in. He's basically conditioning them to play like robots right now and there isnt **** they can do about it.

Personally i think the new carry rule is the dumbest thing they put in. I can understand calling some **** AI would do, but alot of the carry calls this year are rediculouosly stupid and definitely not consistent. Its nuts how one player gets called for a carry for half a crossover while another player who does the same exact thing doesnt. Refs got way too much power this year and i blame it all on that dictator Stern

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller
    Its always annoyed me, and it wasnt until the 90s that players really started becoming very whiny and recently it was just getting dumb. Why defend this behavior? I dont get it.
    I dont mind it...i agree with RAB tho when its constant complaining then that to me gets annoying. But giving them some feedback is cool. Often goes unnoticed to me. I do hate when a player cries at a ref and the team is at the other end trying to defend 4 on 5. So i wont say i'm completely for all barking. There are cases where I'm like "T his ass up!". But ehhh it annoys you and you like this rule. You're not alone, I'm sure others see it your way.

Decent playground baller gsxr1kryder's Avatar

they should've never changed in the first place.

deep down, i still think it was all a marketing strategy in hopes that people would buy the new ball. the NBA store and several sports catalogs I got had the new ball listed where you could purchase it. I don't remember ever seeing the old leather ball for sale in catalogs. I'm sure they weren't selling very many of the old leather ball, so they thought they would come up with a new concept. only thing was, the stupid thing was still like 100 bucks. and then all these high profile players badmouthing it, sales probably went flatline.

also, it'll be interesting to see what excuses players come up with if their field goal percentage doesn't go up, or the turnovers don't decrease, as they said the new ball caused problems in both of these areas.

This has been bizarre from day one.

I never understood why it was changed in the first place, as it was never made clear.

I never believed Stern would go back to the old ball.

I am stunned.

This is David Stern's "New Coke" fiasco. For those too young to remember, google "New Coke"....

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    Bunch of overpaid crybabies.
    i agree.. maybe they shouldnt have changed it in the first place, but they did, so just get over it and keep the damn ball atleast until next year.

Maybe with the new ball the Jazz will start to suck again and the Heat will be good?

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    i agree.. maybe they shouldnt have changed it in the first place, but they did, so just get over it and keep the damn ball atleast until next year.
    Unless they find there is an actual, real problem with the ball....e.g. it doesn't bounce right, too slippery, etc., i agree. They should just finish this season with new ball and then go back.

But I guess maybe they DID find real problems and legitimate grievances, and said "let's just switch".

But if you think about it, what's the difference if they switch? We all have played hoops on the playground and each time you play it's a different type of ball. So you adjust...not a big deal.

It'll take players 2 games to adjust and it'll be no big deal. It's just the whole situation looks ridiculous.

This is certainly surprising; I didn't expect Stern to cave on this. I wonder how he'll approach the tech situation. My guess is that he'll choose to fight that one.