Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    why live??

Quote Originally Posted by asd
    you are an idiot. stern is a primary reason why the nba is so popular all around the world.
    I don't care how much money he has made or his TV deals etc. Anyone doing his job with half a brain could advertise the NBA globally. Like blaze said, Magic, Larry and Jordan are responsible for the popularity of the league.

Stern is f*cking up the league now with all his bogus ideas.

They should just play damn FIBA rules and be done with it.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    A steady progression isnt Sterns doing. It happened all over the sports world. KG, shaq, Arod, Mcnabb, and so on all got deals in thre 100-130 million dollar range in like a 6 year period. I dont think Stern made the NFL and MLB contracts get bigger.

Stern doesnt control all marketing. There are entire divisions that handle that. Stern doesnt control TV rights. Channels bid and he took the highest ones. Stern helped oversee the change from promoting teams ot promoting players but the league was on its way up before him.
    According to your argument, NHL players' contracts should be monumental, too, but they're not.

Plus, you're right. Stern doesn't control all marketing, TV rights, and all of the other details, but he is the COMMISSIONER. In other words, he is the president, or CEO of the NBA. He is in charge of the general direction of the NBA. The people who are in charge of marketing and tv rights got their wheels rolling because of Stern. He probably hired them, and if they weren't doing their jobs properly, probably fired them and hired more competent individuals.

Saying that Stern should be fired from the NBA is like saying that Bill Gates should have been fired from Microsoft.

why live??

Saying that Stern should be fired from the NBA is like saying that Bill Gates should have been fired from Microsoft.
    Idiot. I suppose you support George Bush as well?

MLK of NBA Minorities

I wonder why that ****er is still the commish while there are great people like Cuban who could've done a much better job.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

According to your argument, NHL players' contracts should be monumental, too, but they're not.
    If hockey mattered in America I assume they would. Hockey is mostly a canada thing.

Plus, you're right. Stern doesn't control all marketing, TV rights, and all of the other details, but he is the COMMISSIONER. In other words, he is the president, or CEO of the NBA. He is in charge of the general direction of the NBA. The people who are in charge of marketing and tv rights got their wheels rolling because of Stern. He probably hired them, and if they weren't doing their jobs properly, probably fired them and hired more competent individuals.
    Things going well while youre in charge doesnt mean youre doing a great job. Plenty of presidents have had America do fine under them with nothing notable done by them. The NBAs success has too many factors to give any one man credit. And if you had to give one man credit....its not him. Its Michael Jordan.

Bill Gates basically created microsoft and made it among the the biggest companies in the world. Stern was handed control of the 3rd biggest sport in america and led it to being....the 3rd biggest sport in america with Nascar catching up. Major difference.

Most of what he did is not **** it up when it was heading in the right direction. Which is a positive...but its far from making him the savior of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHonestTruth
    I wonder why that ****er is still the commish while there are great people like Cuban who could've done a much better job.

Cuban earned his billions from selling his pet product, a video website, broadcast.com, to YAHOO.
    If you check go to broadcast.com, it takes you to yahoo.com because broadcast.com turned out to be a worthless dot com bust. It is regarded as one of the worst business moves EVER made during the dot com era. In other words, Cuban got rich through luck.

If it wasn't for David Stern, the NBA might not exist.

why is he famous?

David Stern is considered the best sports executive working today. He transformed the NBA as commissioner from a league on the verge of bankruptcy into a profitable, global brand through smart marketing and shrewd financial innovations like the salary cap.
    But lately, he has been killing the game, someone take over as Comish and let Stern just handle the business end of it.

Cuban earned his billions from selling his pet product, a video website, broadcast.com, to YAHOO.
    If you check go to broadcast.com, it takes you to yahoo.com because broadcast.com turned out to be a worthless dot com bust. It is regarded as one of the worst business moves EVER made during the dot com era. In other words, Cuban got rich through luck.
    Not from my understanding, and wikipedia further backs me up on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast.com

Broadcast.com was a web radio company founded as "AudioNet" in 1995 by Mark Cuban and Todd Wagner.

The company had unassuming beginnings; it was initially co-founded by Mark Cuban as a way to have access to basketball games of his alma mater, Indiana University. The initial setup involved picking up signals from Dallas radio station, KLIF in Cuban's bedroom and broadcasting them to home computers via the Internet.

As the company grew, AudioNet expanded from mainly broadcasting sporting events to broadcasting presidential conventions and many other events.

In May of 1998, AudioNet renamed itself Broadcast.com and on July 17, 1998, Broadcast.com had their initial public offering, setting (at the time) a one-day record for IPOs by rising almost 250% percent from its opening price. The stock closed up at $62.75 per share from their initial trading at $18 per share.

The record IPO made instant financial successes out of the company's employees through stock options, making 100 employees millionaires on paper (although most of them were unable to exercise their options and sell their shares before the stock price dropped) and founders Cuban and Wagner billionaires.

In April 1999, Broadcast.com was acquired by Yahoo! for $5.7 billion in stock and became Yahoo! Broadcast Solutions. Over the next few years Yahoo! split the services previously offered by Broadcast.com into separate services, Yahoo! Launchcast for music and Yahoo! Platinum for video entertainment. Yahoo! Platinum has since been discontinued, its functionality being offered as part of two pay services, AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet and Yahoo! Plus.

As of 2006, neither broadcast.com nor broadcast.yahoo.com are distinct web addresses; both simply redirect to yahoo.com.

KBlaze, you make good videos, but it is obvious, that you are not an MBA-wielding executive who is in a deserved position to criticize the commissioner of the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Not from my understanding, and wikipedia further backs me up on that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast.com

Um, why don't you try reading what Wikipedia had to say before using it to dispute what I said.

why live??

KBlaze, you make good videos, but it is obvious, that you are not an MBA-wielding executive who is in a deserved position to criticize the commissioner of the NBA.
    asd, you make readable posts, but it is obvious, that you are not an NBA fan who is capable of making a post that makes anycommon sense. Yo uare hardly in the position to criticise anybody on this board.

[QUOTE=Se

why live??

You guys are saying that Stern should be fired over something that he did NOT end up doing, neglecting the success that the NBA has experienced under his deft management. What are your other reasons as to why he should be fired? So he wants a new ball? Does it affect business? Does it affect you as a fan? Please...
    -Hand checking rules
    -New ball
    -Time out lengths created to suit advertisement breaks
    -Strict technicals for even rolling your eyes at a referee
    -Dress code

-Some may even think the shorts length is debatable (personally I think long shorts are for thugs)

Continuing this argument with you is like arguing with the wall in front of me. In the end, nobody wins. So, I will stop.
    True words of a loser.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So an "executive" has a better idea about the direction of the league than a lifelong fan?

Please. Common sense alone shows Stern didnt do much of what you said. You claim we should look at how much players make in comparison to say...our parents...as evidence of Sterns doings. When a decade before Stern took over NBA players had the biggest contracts in the history of the world for athletes. And top NBA guys made more than 99.99% of america in the late 60s.

You tell us to look at the fact that the NBA is on all these channels. Guess what? A lot of the media outlets that exist today didnt exist in the 70s and 80s before stern and those that did were not nearly as major. Stern didnt create ESPN or make it cover all these leagues. ESPN has on NBA, Tennis, NFL, MLB, Nascar, and so on. Stern didnt do that. Any commish would get in on it. Whats some guy gonna say? "Oh no...you can cover the rest of sports...I want the NBA poorly covered"? Its a sports network. Stern cant be given credit for the NBA not being on TNT before him. TNT didnt exist until 1988.

Stern didnt invent international media and satellite coverage overseas. The Dream team, Sabonis, Drazen, and so on have as much to do with basketball blowing up all over the world. Stern didnt create the dream team either. Sabonis killing college kids in 88 made them needed. Fiba made a rule change to allow pros. he might have been involved but he sure as hell didnt create interest in basketball all over the world. baseball is more international than its ever been. football is more international than its ever been. soccer has always been all over. SPORTS IN GENERAL have spread all over the world with the media age and more resources.

Youre giving this guy credit for **** he had zero to do with nd tell me I dont know enough of the league to criticize the commissioner? I know the NBA had issues holding it back before stern many of which went away without him. I know networks popped up all over the world and the computer/media age came about making all sports more interntational. I know NBA players made more than any other athletes in the 70s and baseball and the NFLs contracts rose along with the NBAs totally independant of Stern.

I know I dont need to be an "executive" to have common sense and see that Stern has not taken the league beyond its spot as of the mid 80s(3rd in america) and if it did raise it wasnt because of him. If it passed boxing he didnt do it. the Lack of great boxing/heavyweights did it. NBA has not passed baseball and is being caught by Nascar.

Stern in 20 years is getting credit for things done all over the sports world. Players being more well known worldwide and getting more money. Both started before him and go on in other sports he cant control. The NBA has not moved past any major American sport that was ahead of it when he took over and has not made one major advancment that cant be tied to either the players ability or the advancments in the media/cable neither of which he did.

I dont need to be an "MBA-wielding executive" to see the obvious. But I do have a business degree. And it gives me no information on this issue that being an observant fan doesnt. You disagree? Fine. But you sure arent telling me anything to suggest im wrong. Least of all my lack of being an "MBA-wielding executive".
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 11-01-2006 at 10:45 PM.