Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Re: Is puppymonkeybaby the most blatant attempt to start an internet trend ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Dude all publicity is good publicity

You make an intriguing point.

Have I mentioned I've got a new thread up detailing the latest initiative for my small business called the RMWG Sticker Fundraising Challenge!?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Is puppymonkeybaby the most blatant attempt to start an internet trend ever?

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    I doubt the fact that 28 people in this thread said it was the stupidest commercial they've ever seen would have the creators of this commercial high fiving each other.

I get your point that it generates discussion, but 'I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea' is probably not what they we're going for.

And I still don't know what they were advertising. Purple mountain dew I guess.
    Every little piece counts. I'd say the Inside Hoops discussion is a microcosm of the entire internet's response. Some people liking it, some people recognizing it for what it is, others providing backlash, but many people discussing it nonetheless. Here we are, as a basketball board, with an ongoing discussion about this one random Mountain Dew commercial.

By most accounts, I'd guess Mountain Dew and its analytics team consider this advertisement a smashing success. I'd assume they've seen a massive spike in everything relating to the marketing and internet virility of their company name, puppymonkeybaby, and anything else even slightly affiliated.

The marketing team knew how odd of an idea this was, and that's probably exactly why they felt it'd work.

I believe their plan is less about making individual viewers say, "Mm, that commercial makes me want Mountain Dew" and more about re-establishing oneself as a part of the social consciousness, then letting things work themselves out from there.

Meanwhile, there's absolutely no reason for me to still have the phrase "GoDaddy.com" stuck in my head and yet, years later, here we are.

Advertising is virtually unbeatable. It seems only silence does the trick in most cases and at that point, it's tough to discuss a bad advert because then it wouldn't be silence.

Ask Manziel how good his publicity is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Ask Manziel how good his publicity is.
    If he got no publicity, he would just be out of the league and no one would hear from him again. No one would care in trying to rehabilitate him, they'd just give up on him. No publicity is much worse than bad publicity.

because he's getting this publicity, somewhere down the line, if he rehabs, some team might be willing to take a chance on him, as it would be good for their public image. He can also use this national publicity to generate reality TV and events appearances.

If he got no publicity, he'd just be out of the league and out in the cold with little hope of redemption. Because of the publicity, he has a lot of opportunity to monetize himself in some way that he wouldn't have had if the news hadn't made him a big celebrity.

Washed up druggy quarterback in Cleveland? Who gives a shit. The media is prolonging Manziel's career whether they realize it or not by making this in to a national story.

Bottom line:
    It is better that Johnny has this publicity than if he didn't have this publicity.

I feel like all the people making Superbowl commercials were high as f*ck.

Decent playground baller lilandywiggins's Avatar

28 posts and counting.

Any press is good press.

Ha, saw this right after my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by MrC1991
    I feel like all the people making Superbowl commercials were high as f*ck.
    Which would mean in reality you'd had to have been high asf to understand and enjoy the commercials.. is this a new movement?

#Legalize2016
    #Bernie2016

I will never utter the words puppymonkeybaby ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Which would mean in reality you'd had to have been high asf to understand and enjoy the commercials.. is this a new movement?

#Legalize2016
    #Bernie2016
    I always said if I was going to make commercials, I'd get high and do it.

Whoever made those commercials was not on mary j.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Draz

#Legalize2016
    #Bernie2016
    Bro.

It is not that creative or hard to understand.

Do you remember the creepy dancing baby gif meme from the 90s-early 2000s that was everywhere on the internet?

The ads people just took this, and two of the top things that appear in viral videos-pugs and monkeys- and crammed them all together.

They accompanied this with a "Puppy monkey baby" chant that took 3 seconds to write.

The ads people responsible for making it recognize how blatant and obvious this all is. That is part of the joke.

Regular people just like "aw gee that's so weird! Ima go talk about this around the watercooler and email it to all my friends!"

It his both markets. The impressionable sheep, and the anti-sheep hipsters like myself and the other puppybabymonkey haters.

And guess what-it's a success. It's already gone viral. Mountain Dew wins. We lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brujesino
    I will never utter the words puppymonkeybaby ever!
    But you typed it and that is all that matters.