Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Is "posse" a bad word?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I agree it was meant to be snarky. I do not think it should be headline news. The thing about the comment was I don't believe his intent was to paint LeBron and his friends as "ghetto" ... but he was purposely making a statement about how the normal rules of the NBA do not apply to LeBron.

Seems like controversy for the sake of controversy. But, that dominates much of the news cycle these days, so maybe that's what the people want.
    It probably was meant to be snarky, but not racist.

If anything, I read into it as a dig into the maturity of Bron, and the fact many think he is a spoilt brat.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

If anything, I read into it as a dig into the maturity of Bron, and the fact many think he is a spoilt brat.
    That's the funny thing about it. If the media wants to turn this into a controversy, at least be honest about what the controversial portion of Jackson's comments were.

It's all about narrative with the media. They parse words and dig for a connection to an over-arching storyline already in place. So, in this case, with the whole disaster of an election we just had and the BLM movement, race is on people's mind.

So, how can we tie-in this comment with the national narrative? Completely transparent, but sadly not surprising.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

That's what it was.. At worst. A slight at the fact that Bron and his camp (that words aright right guise ?? Oh wait.. Camp = outdoors = savages = omg racist !!) are known for getting their way and bending rules. Bron took offense to that so he did what any good blm folk would do and turned it into a race issue for attention and to deflect feelings of insecurity.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    That's what it was.. At worst. A slight at the fact that Bron and his camp (that words aright right guise ?? Oh wait.. Camp = outdoors = savages = omg racist !!) are known for getting their way and bending rules. Bron took offense to that so he did what any good blm folk would do and turned it into a race issue for attention and to deflect feelings of insecurity.
    The media made it about the word "posse" before even asking LeBron to comment. This is the conversation the media wants us to have, because it results in views, clicks, etc.

I will call out LeBron on his bullsh!t (though less frequent now than it once was), but this one is on the media. They spearheaded the ruining of the electoral process and now they're moving onto sports with their contrived narratives.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten
    Is there anyone who believes pj didnt mean it as a pejorative? Pj is a pretty articulate guy, him using that word isnt happenstance it was meant to be snarky, dismissive and condescending. He would have referred to them as Lebron's "boys" if he thinks he could have gotten away with it.

Make no mistake, pj resents that today's player has so much power, particularly young black men who he deems as being inept and unqualified to wield the power they do. Well sorry Phil nepotism/good ol boy network has been a vestige of the "establishment" for aeons, what's good for the goose....

Everyone loves the black man so long as he stays in his place, the minute he dares weild any POWER or assume ANY sort of unapologetic autonomy, THAT'S when there is a problem.

Lebald is drama queen diva sensitive bitch.

He'll do anything for attention, he's like the Kim Kardashian of the NBA

Bron Bron just a sucka ass white washed livin in the burbs ho

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews

For once I agree with you. Lebald is a wannabe, he tries so hard to fit in with real black people but he's an uncle tom carlton banks

Quote Originally Posted by Bless Mathews

I think you have Bron confused with MJ. MJ was raised in a wealthy 2 parent household and had no struggles in his youth. Bron on the other hand isn't even supposed to be here. Statistics say he should be dead or in prison, yet here he is! GOAT gonna GOAT

Grab em by the posse. Nuff said.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

This is the Oxford Dictionary definition:

[QUOTE]

Posse

NOUN

1 US historical A body of men summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law.

1.1 British The body of men above the age of fifteen in a county (excluding peers, the clergy, or the infirm), whom the sheriff could summon to repress a riot or for other purposes.

2 informal A group of people who have a common characteristic or

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    I thought Jax meant "pvssies". Oh well...
    Underrated comment

I usually hit open layups

When I hear posse I think of Billy the Kid & his posse. Jesse James rode into town with his posse. Marshall Dillon took his posse in to clean up the town. I'm not getting a negative vibe but that's me.

I don't find it so bad. Lebron surrounded himself with his High School crew, his posse. If Phil was referring to people who didn't get jobs for basically being Lebron's friend, and instead hired people with previous business work experience than yeah. In this scenario I can see how someone might call it his posse, as in group of friends.

If I heard this story 10 years ago I would think it's one of those sarcastic fake stories. An unfunny one at that.