Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #16
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass
 
RecSpecs110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 2,326
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

I can tell.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod
 
haterofhaters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,892
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
Whether Mitchell was implying something else or not is not the point. He should know that the big eared media takes every little word that comes out of your mouth and highlights it and takes it out of context. It was still his mistake to say, "He broke a record. What do you think? He's not injured." If he said, "I believe that he's injured, but I don't think it'll effect him that much," it'd be a whole different story.
Mitchell has been known to have a notoriously bad relationship with the media, and that's even after a win. Imagine them coming up to the guy after Kidd just drops 16/19/16 on his team, and asking him about an injury. He's human, he probably wasn't thinking about how it would get taken out of context and blown out of proportion.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 10:29 PM   #18
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass
 
RecSpecs110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 2,326
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

Whatever, Nets won, who gives a crap about what he thought.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #19
gigantes
   
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,509
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

if mitchell is smart he learned something here:

never give the other team free motivation of any kind. despite the fact that these people are supposedly professionals, motivation is still a key factor at this level.

mitchell screwed up, and now he's just trying to save some face. it's as simple as that.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 PM   #20
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?
 
The Italian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On the Rasho Bandwagon
Posts: 2,497
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
if mitchell is smart he learned something here:

never give the other team free motivation of any kind. despite the fact that these people are supposedly professionals, motivation is still a key factor at this level.

mitchell screwed up, and now he's just trying to save some face. it's as simple as that.
See the problem is that Mitchell isn't smart. So he probaly didn't learn anything.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #21
huppcap
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 927
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
well, I doubt Kidd and Frank just went out and told a lie to everyone. im sure in theory Kidd did get hit in the knee, though it was nothing more than a superficial bump, they decided to give him practice off so he can go to the doctor (as well as run other personal errands) so in esssence two birds could be taken out with one stone.

The media hyped the injury up more than anything. It was on his surgically repaired knee from a couple of years ago. The same procedure that Amare Stoudamire went through so maybe they wanted to be cautious and get it checked out. The Nets casually mentioned Kidd took practice off to simply rest his knee and get it checked and all of a sudden the media starts to question whether he will play or not.

I heard Rod Thorn in an interview on a Toronto radio station this past Friday say Kidd played with a hole in his knee 3 years ago the size of a dollar coin so he would imagine he would play in game 3. That in itself was probably exaggerated. Sure his knee was hurting back then and he was playing in some pain but a hole in your knee that big? Give me a break. Make it sound like he was in a battle and shot in the knee and some sort of war hero.

It's all about some people exaggerating things to make them seem bigger than they are and make a story. In this case it was mainly the media. Mitchell was probably asked about 10 times about Kidd's knee and finally had enough of it and said something in frustration in constantly hearing the same question then the media exaggerates Mitchell's comments.

Last edited by huppcap : 04-30-2007 at 10:51 AM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
huppcap
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 927
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
Mitchell has been known to have a notoriously bad relationship with the media, and that's even after a win. Imagine them coming up to the guy after Kidd just drops 16/19/16 on his team, and asking him about an injury. He's human, he probably wasn't thinking about how it would get taken out of context and blown out of proportion.

I don't think Mitchell has a bad relationship with the media. He just hates stupid questions and getting asked the same question even after answering it 2 or 3 times already.

He's not going to kiss up to the media and smile like some coaches do after being asked the same crap over and over again.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #23
gigantes
   
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,509
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
I don't think Mitchell has a bad relationship with the media. He just hates stupid questions and getting asked the same question even after answering it 2 or 3 times already.

He's not going to kiss up to the media and smile like some coaches do after being asked the same crap over and over again.
you make that sound like some kind of manly and admirable quality in a coach. it's not.

look, you can play the media game several ways:

1) ala people like lawrence frank or rick carlisle who never give the media any free info.
2) you can pacify them via humor and/or geniality, as people like karl, pop and riley have shown the ability to do. actually ronald reagan was superb in that area- he might have made a decent basketball coach. :P
3) you use them to your advantage, ala a PJ with strategic remarks aimed at getting in someone's head.

the coaches who have trouble sticking to one of these approaches are the coaches who get themselves in trouble, like isiah thomas or george karl once in a while.

as a coach, the media are not your friends and are not people you can afford to blow off steam with. better to vent with your coaching friends and your trusted assistants and better to involve a round of beers than a round of microphones.

saying you got tired of hearing the same crap 10x or more in a row is simply a lame excuse.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #24
huppcap
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 927
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
you make that sound like some kind of manly and admirable quality in a coach. it's not.

look, you can play the media game several ways:

1) ala people like lawrence frank or rick carlisle who never give the media any free info.
2) you can pacify them via humor and/or geniality, as people like karl, pop and riley have shown the ability to do. actually ronald reagan was superb in that area- he might have made a decent basketball coach. :P
3) you use them to your advantage, ala a PJ with strategic remarks aimed at getting in someone's head.

the coaches who have trouble sticking to one of these approaches are the coaches who get themselves in trouble, like isiah thomas or george karl once in a while.

as a coach, the media are not your friends and are not people you can afford to blow off steam with. better to vent with your coaching friends and your trusted assistants and better to involve a round of beers than a round of microphones.

saying you got tired of hearing the same crap 10x or more in a row is simply a lame excuse.

What are you? A psychology major? Take media relations? These 3 steps to play the media; is that from a book?

Mitchell uses humour at times too. He is better with the media than he was a couple of years ago. Mitchell does not snarl at every question.

Each coach has their own personality.

You are a Nets fan so I am sure you have not seen most of Mitchell's interviews over season anyways.

Last edited by huppcap : 05-01-2007 at 10:45 AM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar
 
Kiddlovesnets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,540
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

If an injured Kidd could carry out such a tremendous performance, what can a 100 percent healthy Kidd do?
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #26
gigantes
   
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 13,509
Default Re: Sam Mitchell thinks J Kidd was Faking his injury

These 3 steps to play the media; is that from a book?

no- why would i need a book?


Mitchell uses humour at times too. He is better with the media than he was a couple of years ago. Mitchell does not snarl at every question.

good for him. i have a litle gold star i'm willing to paste onto his forehead the next time i see him.


Each coach has their own personality.

you don't say.


You are a Nets fan so I am sure you have not seen most of Mitchell's interviews over season anyways.

that is correct. and also irrelevant.

mitchell still screwed up, and he still had the chance to learn from his mistake if he was willing to. nothing has changed those facts.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy