Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't NBA contracts have contingencies?

For example, I don't understand why Lebron didn't sign a longer term deal with the Cavs. Can't he sign for max years with a contingency that the contract will be revised when the TV deal kicked in?

With his current contract, should he get bad injury like Grant Hill, then he'll miss out on his next contract. It's an unnecessary risk.

Default Re: Can't NBA contracts have contingencies?

I doubt LeBron is worried about his financial situation

Even if he retired today, he'd still be getting bank from all his endorsements, not to mention his shoe line.

Lebron is willing to take that risk so it is his call. Idiot players in the NFL will keep getting destroyed.
    NbaPA >>>>>>>>>>>>>> NflPA

I don't get it though, if the NFL is so much more popular than the NBA, how come the NFLpa can't get an agreement for guaranteed contracts? And why is it that NBA players in general are paid more than NFL players?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    I don't get it though, if the NFL is so much more popular than the NBA, how come the NFLpa can't get an agreement for guaranteed contracts? And why is it that NBA players in general are paid more than NFL players?
    Way less players on an NBA team. other than some great QBs, very few players have as much impact on a game as a good player in an NBA game.
    NBA needs good players unlike NFL where it is almost a cultural thing to see games on Sundays. Most of the casual fans know next to nothing about the game and just want to feel like a part of the crowd.

Owners do not want to give out guaranteed contracts because the risk of injuries is extremely high in NFL. Selfish move but that's the reality.

NFL players only play like 16? games a season while NBA players play 82 games... in terms of salary per game, NFL players are actually making good money compare to NBA players

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    Owners do not want to give out guaranteed contracts because the risk of injuries is extremely high in NFL. Selfish move but that's the reality.

NFL players only play like 16? games a season while NBA players play 82 games... in terms of salary per game, NFL players are actually making good money compare to NBA players

It's also due to the kind of reckless abandon it takes to play the sport at a high level. Football requires fierce collisions and lots of physical grappling. If guys know theyre set for five years anyway the effort simply wont be there and the quality of the game would drop tremendously.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    It's also due to the kind of reckless abandon it takes to play the sport at a high level. Football requires fierce collisions and lots of physical grappling. If guys know theyre set for five years anyway the effort simply wont be there and the quality of the game would drop tremendously.
    It's always most apparent with RBs. Get them that contract and the stop running as hard. Kind of a bitch move but I guess I get it.

I rule the local playground OnFire's Avatar

LeBron having a 1 year contract is like LeBron having damning photos of Dan Gilbert.

Decent playground baller Wiltside's Avatar

Doesn't make sense, because you are making contingencies that include unknown amounts of money.

I doubt LeBron is worried about his financial situation

Even if he retired today, he'd still be getting bank from all his endorsements, not to mention his shoe line.
    Well Lebron ain't the one negotiating, his agent is.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    With his current contract, should he get bad injury like Grant Hill, then he'll miss out on his next contract. It's an unnecessary risk.
    LeBron* only performs his voodoo on others like Durant, Westbrook, Rose, Rondo, Melo, Paul George etc.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Lebron didn't want a longer term deal. That's the reason why he didn't sign one.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    For example, I don't understand why Lebron didn't sign a longer term deal with the Cavs. Can't he sign for max years with a contingency that the contract will be revised when the TV deal kicked in?

It's called having insurance. I'm almost certain he has a $250+ million insurance policy that protects against career ending injuries like that and I'm sure nearly all NBA players have something comparable.

The simple fact that he signed such a short-term deal somewhat proves this.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 04-27-2015 at 09:00 AM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    It's called having insurance. I'm almost certain he has a $250+ million insurance policy that protects against career ending injuries like that and I'm sure nearly all NBA players have something comparable.

The simple fact that he signed such a short-term deal somewhat proves this.
    You are sure most NBA players have a 250M insurance policy?

Because thats a dumb thing to say.