Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Default Re: Dumbest things you've heard from people about Basketball?

You need to be tall to play basketball

Noah is a better "fit" than Melo, and generally any stupid claims from bulls fans...

Manu the 2nd best SG

Team A shot more free throws than Team B = Must be rigged!:banghead:
    (My biggest hate, morons that read a box score and jump to conclusions )

Cavs winning a ring before Lebron does

Also anyone on here claiming the Lakers are done. This shit happens every year. Do you have bad memories or are you just plain retarded???

Banned

That all black guys are good at it

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJohnson
    I think five is asking too much. Here in UK, you'll be surprised if someone knows who Michael Jordan is.
    Being just about the only person I know who actually knows what the NBA is (you know, the Nationwide Basketball Society), it gets pretty annoying. Closer friends of mine can name Jordan (I've got a poster of the FT line dunk), Shaq (not sure why to be fair), KG and Rondo (the 2 jerseys I own). Occasionally my flatmates pick up other names (normally when I'm yelling "f*ck you Kobe/Wade/Lebron/etc" at 3am when they hit some impossible shot) but the average person worldwide probably can't even name Jordan.

I can see why soccer fans don't like basketball, because it's a very different sport. However, that's one of the main reasons I love both basketball and football; with one being a high-scoring game and the other low scoring, you can transfer skills between them (making the extra pass and valuing every possession in basketball, to the importance of a strong defence in basketball).

In answer to the question, it would have to be the absolute overrating of some players, probably Ginobili is the worst for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    The stupidest things are the ones told by basketball haters, especially people who have never watched any sport other than soccer in their lives. Here, in Europe, more than once, I'd heard some stupid and unwitty things about basketball made by hardcore soccer fans. 2 of them:

1) Who deals with the ball with the freckles? It's all about soccer.
    2) Whatever is done with your hands is m@sturb@tion.

After a while of course, I answered these equally (un)witty things to a couple of people who mentioned this crap:

1) You're right. It's much more urgent to deal with the ball with melanomas.
    2) I guess you had some good ejaculation after finishing typing this (I guess with your hands).

You're kidding. This is actually a thing? Soccer fans really talk $hit about basketball? I've watched several soccer games and it's like watching flies f*ck. I understand that this boring-ass sport has millions upon millions of fans worldwide, but aside from team importance over individual players, I'd like to know how soccer is "better" than basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    You're kidding. This is actually a thing? Soccer fans really talk $hit about basketball? I've watched several soccer games and it's like watching flies f*ck. I understand that this boring-ass sport has millions upon millions of fans worldwide, but aside from team importance over individual players, I'd like to know how soccer is "better" than basketball.
    It's all about taste. Soccer has the appeal of those who want a more physical game, but not the brute force that Rugby or American Football has. Soccer still has beautiful plays, and amazing feats of skill. Many people are brought up with soccer and therefore appreciate it's subtleties, whereas a sport such as basketball can be seen by some as one which teams score on too often (especially those who are used to soccer). It's rare you find people who enjoy both; I would be one of those few.

Local High School Star

That Howard is better than Lebron because he would win 1on1.....

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    I can see why soccer fans don't like basketball, because it's a very different sport. However, that's one of the main reasons I love both basketball and football; with one being a high-scoring game and the other low scoring, you can transfer skills between them (making the extra pass and valuing every possession in basketball, to the importance of a strong defence in basketball).
    I think football fans who try to watch basketball and give up after a few games are put off by the constant time outs and interruptions to play. It was in my case and it took me around a year to get past these issues

I disagree about one game being high scoring, though. Both sports have low and high scoring qualities. For example, you can't say the vast majority of games in La Liga and Bundesliga, two of the top four league's in Europe, are renowned for low scoring defensive football? Conversely, you can't say NBA teams like the the Bucks and Bobcats are ambassadors of high quality attacking basketball that produce high scoring games.

The following statement may have been true, if the indivuidual was referring to Stern and the Owners, but he instead was referring to the players themselves:

"The NBA is just one giant criminal enterprise."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sosolid4u09
    Whats the dumbest thing you've ever heard from someone about Basketball?
    you ve got to be tall and black to play it .

oh, wait..

Serious playground baller ATL_Bball_King's Avatar

Quote:

Me: "Bruh you really look like greg oden.."

Male Friend Age 21: "Who is greg oden....Oh you must mean Greg Owens.."

Greg owens is an Australian soccer player...Also white my friend is black...

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleChuck
    Anything these ppl sprout out:

joyner82/YouCallILose
    ashbelly
    KG5MVP
    TheMiz
    Hulk_Hogan
    Bladers
    griffmoney
    TheLogo
    blondie
    asdf1990
    knowitall
    added 2 more

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJohnson
    I think football fans who try to watch basketball and give up after a few games are put off by the constant time outs and interruptions to play. It was in my case and it took me around a year to get past these issues

I disagree about one game being high scoring, though. Both sports have low and high scoring qualities. For example, you can't say the vast majority of games in La Liga and Bundesliga, two of the top four league's in Europe, are renowned for low scoring defensive football? Conversely, you can't say NBA teams like the the Bucks and Bobcats are ambassadors of high quality attacking basketball that produce high scoring games.
    Oh, I just meant in general, NBA teams score at a higher pace per minute or whatever.

Good college starter

Cavs would meet the Mavs in the 2010 finals

I said that

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWhiteGreen
    Oh, I just meant in general, NBA teams score at a higher pace per minute or whatever.
    Yup, that'll happen when you're comparing the scoring rate per minute (or whatever) between football and basketball.