Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: Kareem Abdul Jabbar punches Kent Benson

Dunking on everybody in the park spree43's Avatar

Not only did he overreact at the elbow, considering he was fine 2 seconds later

But he sucker punched him, he didn't even act like he was going to hit him, he walked by so Benson didn't think it was coming

This is a low act, you can knock anyone out if they can't see it coming, because they arent tensed, therefore the head moves more and the brain rattles inside the skull more

Then he yells at him once he's already down and he realises he's not getting back up, what a tough guy

He's got it all in the wrong order, get up in his face and let him know how you feel, then knock him out if your man enough

Melo-esque IMO... at least when Melo hit him they were already in a fight
    Last edited by spree43; 10-17-2009 at 04:14 AM.

Decent college freshman

Wish he would attempted such action against Chamberlain.

@ 4:04 mark in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbcdliLtkEs

Dunking on everybody in the park spree43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Wish he would attempted such action against Chamberlain.

@ 4:04 mark in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbcdliLtkEs
    I'll say it again ... Melo-esque

He hit him and ran off

I call B!TCH!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

In his 1990 autobiography Drive: The Story of My Life, Larry Bird describes how Kent Benson taught him to be nice to freshmen. In 1974, Bird entered Indiana University on a basketball scholarship when Benson was a sophomore at Indiana. Kent Benson was one of the players at Indiana who consistently ribbed on Bird; so much so that in conjunction with other reasons, Bird left Indiana University before the basketball season ever began and never returned. In the book, Bird said he would try extra hard to defeat an NBA team if Kent Benson was playing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Benson

Benson seems like quite the coward. I'm certain he never messed with anyone after Kareem.

Local High School Star franchise#3's Avatar

The part about broken hand

Quote Originally Posted by franchise#3
    The part about broken hand

Well, when you punch someone in the face, there's a good chance you will injure your hand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spree43
    Not only did he overreact at the elbow, considering he was fine 2 seconds later

But he sucker punched him, he didn't even act like he was going to hit him, he walked by so Benson didn't think it was coming

This is a low act, you can knock anyone out if they can't see it coming, because they arent tensed, therefore the head moves more and the brain rattles inside the skull more

Then he yells at him once he's already down and he realises he's not getting back up, what a tough guy

He's got it all in the wrong order, get up in his face and let him know how you feel, then knock him out if your man enough

Melo-esque IMO... at least when Melo hit him they were already in a fight
    Agreed, I don't know why people are defending Jabbar. Everything is such a popularity contest. If that was someone more unlikeable that threw such a cheap shot people would be freaking out.

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    Well, when you punch someone in the face, there's a good chance you will injure your hand.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone112
    Agreed, I don't know why people are defending Jabbar. Everything is such a popularity contest. If that was someone more unlikeable that threw such a cheap shot people would be freaking out.
    Kareem is a jerk for sucker punching him, but that does not absolve Benson here. If you're going to hit people, expect to be hit back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    Kareem is a jerk for sucker punching him, but that does not absolve Benson here. If you're going to hit people, expect to be hit back.
    I agree, I never said Benson was innocent or anything but Spree43 described it perfectly. If KAJ retaliated right away or at least didn't make it a sucker punch then I wouldn't have cared but to actually stroll up like nothing happened and just completely sucker punch someone is bull**** when all they did was give you a little elbow to the gut.

Saw a basketball once

Yeah I lived in Milwaukee at the time and the reaction was very bad considering at the time Milwaukee was a white dominated city. But like another poster said, Kareem had simply had enough. He was pushed around and cheapshotted daily and the refs. never did anything about it. At some point, a guy is going to get tired of it and let it all out. Unfortunately, a guy had to get hurt for the message to be sent out.

Made that high school varsity squad

I dont like this kind of things...but...**** Kent Benson deserved to be owned for acting like a dumbass.