Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Default Can we PLEASE ONCE AND FOR ALL put to bed the notion of taking players word as gospel

Can we PLEASE STOP making this asinine argument to support our viewpoints?

Watch this video of Jerry West and Magic Johnson...

https://streamable.com/0i893

As absolutely ****ing crazy and stupid as most of you are, there are at THE VERY LEAST two dozen of you that post here that would make a better GM than Magic Johnson.

Just because you could play the game at an all time elite level and have one of the highest in game IQs of all time DOES NOT MEAN that translates to a front office or commentator position. Basketball analyst... call it whatever you want.

Look at Michael Jordan and LeBron James and Magic Johnson.

All three of these guys are some of the smartest players that ever played the game... but they’ve also all three proven that their in game IQ does not necessarily correlate with off the field accuracy when breaking down teams and understanding how to assemble rosters. It often does not. They don’t have it. None of them.

Those guys would absolutely KILL ANYONE HERE just with their brains in game neverminding athleticism whatsoever. But take them out of the game? Shit no!!!

Magic is just a blabbering fool. I mean he’s completely and utterly clueless. CLUELESS.

Basketball ability and in game intelligence do not necessarily correlate with remote basketball analysis and if I hear the argument “he’s an all time great player and you’re just some nerdy keyboard warrior! Ha!” I’m going to kill someone.
    Last edited by Ben Simmons 25; 03-22-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Default Re: Can we PLEASE ONCE AND FOR ALL put to bed the notion of taking players word as gospel

Charles Barkley confirms that he doesn't watch much NBA basketball

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports....210927323.html

Default Re: Can we PLEASE ONCE AND FOR ALL put to bed the notion of taking players word as gospel

Only if we stop taking media opinions as the bible

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    Only if we stop taking media opinions as the bible
    Most of them are clueless as well. The extreme majority.

Nobody takes their opinions as bible. You’re just upset because you disagree with a certain narrative they push for ratings and will continue to push with the next guy.

But the major key difference between media opinions and player opinions is that nobody here cites media opinions as gospel unless they’re blatantly trolling. A large portion of you actually believe that if an all time great player says something basketball related it must be true... and you believe that because you’re retarded and you don’t formulate any original thoughts of your own.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Let’s say everyone ever put in position to run a team knew basketball in every way....as well as it could be known.

Busts would still be drafted, teams would still be bad, and trade would still help one team and destroy another.

A guy running a team poorly doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t know basketball. Bad teams are inevitable.

There’s also a difference between knowing basketball and being able to speak eloquently about it. Does Shaq sounding like an idiot compared to a casual fan who simply speaks well and doesn’t stumble making points mean that fan can recognize a play as well or know basics about system concepts?

Plenty of people who can bob and weave nicely through sports talk don’t know the difference between ANY man to man defense. They might know a zone if they see it but they can’t explain what Thibs defense was trying to do.

Most even major fans sound like Skip when Cuban owned him asking what kind of defense they used in the 2011 finals. People don’t know a ****ing thing about the ins and outs.

You have to talk to most fans even on here in such generic terms just to be understood. I don’t think you’re giving credit to what magic or Jordan could break down in a conversation that wasn’t meant for public consumption. Guys talk shit on here all day and don’t know which hand to put in the passing lane in any given situation or which side is strong or weak.

Most of ish don’t know the system their team runs other than calling it *insert best players name*-ball.

Fans are ball watchers who don’t even see plays being run. You watch a game and see a coach call a play that creates space on the side the star is on via a shooter coming off a baseline screen to the corner....

People will then say the star is a chucker when he takes a shot which is the express purpose of the play. They wanted him to move the ball around against the play design. He attacked and missed the shot. He followed the play....it didn’t work. But it wasn’t broken offense.

Fans can’t even see what’s in front of them.

I don’t know how many times Melo took a shot off an out of bounds play designed for him to take it where he did and then fans on here act like it was him breaking the offense.

Fans barely ever know what they are seeing. Even the ones who make less eloquent players seem stupid.

Guys here know Larry Johnson in a UNLV clip. They don’t know shit about the defense Tark ran. You could sound like a serious fan just talking LJ, Greg Anthony, Augmon and those guys showing you remember it happened. You aren’t gonna talk about the amoeba defense likeKenny Smith could.

But he wouldn’t do it on tnt.

It’s not good tv.

Players do in fact know the game better. Even the ones who make poor gms.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Sure OP, we will consider only people that push your agenda to be credible.

Anything for you, massa.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Building a team from raw prospects and projecting 5+ years into the future =/= telling you about how good an already established HOFer was when you played against him. Conflating the two is asinine.

Also the intracicies of the game these guys are all geniuses at... The breakdown of film and application of strategies... OP opinion is literally horse �� by comparison
    Last edited by tpols; 03-22-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife

Anything for you, massa.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Anything for you, massa.
    That’s exactly what everyone does though. You arent going to come on here to post a player opinion not similar to your own. Faced with that? People either ignore it, say the player only said for a reason they made up, or flat out pretend the words mean what they say and not what the English language says.

Nobody ever just says “Maybe I’m wrong since this legend says people like me are stupid.”

People have all the respect in the world for a legend that agrees with them. The ones who don’t get no Consideration. People only agree with legends to the extent that it makes them look correct.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

[QUOTE=Kblaze8855]That

I only rely on my own opinion and when it comes to basketball, I consider my opinion to be fact.

Sometimes I'll use other sources that agree with me to rile up people I consider to have a low basketball IQ, but no source ever forms my opinion.
    By default you can only have opinions on a few players then. No one on Earth would have enough time to "eye test" every player in the league (much less players from other eras) and about 98% of this forum rely on highlights to compare people.

Who's word should we take as gospel?

Great college starter

Nobodies word is gospel. However I'm willing to bet most players know the game better than most folks here. As I said in the other thread, you guys overestimate your ability to use basketball reference.

What KBlaze said was spot on too. Don't forget players also watch thousands of hours of films, read hundreds of scouting reports etc. They've been getting all the tracking data you just now have access to (plus some you don't) for years.

So to believe you have more knowledge of the game than a player simply because... You read some stats on BBall Ref and watch a few games is pretty asinine.

No one's words are gospel, everything should be judged by its own merits. There's nothing wrong with folks saying Kobe knows the game better than Ben Simmons 25 though, in fact I'd say that's almost a given. I mean, you've said how you feel about the players, but what great insight do you provide that shows you know better than them?

I agree about how some athlete takes are horrendous . Some of their.takes are so bad it doesn't even make sense. I forget who it was and I can probably dig it up but somebody was saying that Andre Iguodala was comparable to LeBron James

Or another one was that Brad Beal is an Elite star and top 5 player in the league. Stuff like that really makes me realize how much some forum guys know compared to them, when we take out our biased opinions of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation
    I agree about how some athlete takes are horrendous . Some of their.takes are so bad it doesn't even make sense. I forget who it was and I can probably dig it up but somebody was saying that Andre Iguodala was comparable to LeBron James

Or another one was that Brad Beal is an Elite star and top 5 player in the league. Stuff like that really makes me realize how much some forum guys know compared to them, when we take out our biased opinions of course.