Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default How did you feel about Ron Artest as a player?

Most talk about him of course isnt about on the court....but thats what id like your opinion on.

Peak Ron Artest.....how did you feel about him?

He was a terror on D and maintain that even as he got older...but he didnt get up for many battles. When he wanted to bring it in his Rocket/Laker days he still could. Like when he went in on Melo:

Ron had quick hands and quicker feet than he should have had at his size(he played from 240 to 280 depending on the season). And he turned into a better shooter than you probably remember him being. I always found him so awkward though. I always thought he moved like fat kid who went into a coma and came out slim and didnt know how normal people moved. Ron just bumbled around like he his mind didnt know how athletic his body was...he did score though. He could score 18-20...lock people up. One of the few wing DPOY winners of his time. Hell he, Leonard, and GP are the only ones in the 30 years since Jordan won it in 88. But we all know people dont consider defensive stars "real".

And with Ron especially it always comes back to the physical play that makes you forget he was also good at basketball.

The Harden attempted murder:

How hed occasionally just slam someone for no good reason like he did Big Dog:

How he made Tyler back down and cancel his plans to act tough.

Speaking of which:

[QUOTE]

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: How did you feel about Ron Artest as a player?

low IQ. Wouldn't have wanted him on my team

Hell yes he could have won as the no. 2

One of the best perimeter Forwards of the 21st century

Like Rodman, excelled at their role on the team without needing touches

Guard opposing teams best scorer, needs no attention on offense, can score in the clutch at will. Perfect fit for Kobe ball

He cost the Pacers a title in 05.

Jordan Stopper

Hit the clutchest shot in NBA History in the 2010 Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Ron had quick hands and quicker feet than he should have had at his size(he played from 240 to 280 depending on the season). And he turned into a better shooter than you probably remember him being. I always found him so awkward though. I always thought he moved like fat kid who went into a coma and came out slim and didnt know how normal people moved. Ron just bumbled around like he his mind didnt know how athletic his body was..
    Just like Rodman. Superquick and athletic without the ball, but once they had to dribble and jump with it it looked like it put 100 extra pounds on them.

NBA Legend

Yeah, definitely think his D gets underrated today. In Houston and LA he was relied on for offense, and I think between that and his reputation for eccentricity, his vice grip defense as a Pacer gets overshadowed.

A lot of people think the malice cost them a chip in 04, which someone said in this thread. Those Pacer teams were never gonna win a title. Reggie was old by then, and Jermaine ONeal was pretty overrated IMO. They had talent on paper but I dont see them beating the Lakers or Spurs in a final. Detroit was the better all around team. Kobe would have had to drop twice the clunker he did against Detroit for IND to have a chance. I mean Shaq steamrolled Ben Wallace in the finals, what do you think he’d do against the Pacers?? Probably the same thing he did a few years earlier.

great great defender

great

He was one hell of a player, but he had so many issues mentally that kept him from truly appreciating his greatness and reaching his full potential. If he had his head on right, he had potential to be a top 10 nba player for 6-7 years straight there in mid-2000s.. But he was a mess mentally.

Still, he was someone you wanted on your side. He tormented opponents and covered the passing lanes well. He was strong and powerful enough to defend anyone from sg to the strongest pfs, some centers too. Sure, he could have been greater, but he was still very good. Without him, Lakers don't win that title versus Celtics.

In the end, I appreciate Artest as a player. He battled his mental demons and still was crucial in multiple title wins. I don't think we will ever see another Artest again, especially with these rule changes and softness we see in nba. You can't be anywhere as physical anymore.. The days when Artest clipped you and pushed you around with his sheer strength are over..

underrated player and good teammate... as a Laker and a Rocket

but he screwed over Indiana though.

lovable lunatic. borderline all-star in his prime.

pulled his weight when it mattered.

3-time NBA All-Star

Ron was a great defender and the last guy to put the clamps on KD.. Obviously Ron got away with plenty of pushing and slapping to slow down a guy like KD.. But he also had extemely fast hands and could strip anyone..

Ron may have not PUT UP NUMBERS as big as Tmac but was able to bring Houston into the second round vs the Lakers the one year he played for them..Something Tmac was never able to do.. People forget that Yao was hurt in that series and Ron almost carried the Rockets to a series win vs Lakers that had Kobe and Pau... The guy was an impact player there is no debating that...

He was part of Pacers team in 2004 that had the best defense.. Yep better than The Pistons defense that shut down THE LAKERS in the FINALS..

Ron was mostly black balled after that big fight in Detroit.. Only making the all defensive team once after that fight.. Even though he thrived with the Kings both offensively and defensively.. And then more of a defensive stopper with THE LAKERS..

very good 2 way player.

i actually have to thank him for turning me into a big NBA fan. i watched the malice at the palace live on tv as it happened. been addicted to this league since.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    very good 2 way player.

i actually have to thank him for turning me into a big NBA fan. i watched the malice at the palace live on tv as it happened. been addicted to this league since.

One of those “I remember where I was...” things for everyone who saw it

Id just got home to my apt after a shift delivering pizzas. Flipped on the tv to espn, saw the game was just about over, and right as I was about click the “channel up” button, the artest-wallace scrum started.

5 minutes later Im frantically calling a buddy.

“Hello?”
    Dude, are you seeing....”
    “YES!!!!!”

Both of us: “This is awesome!!!!!

Last edited by Akrazotile; 03-14-2019 at 08:39 PM.