Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Default Re: Bulking up for Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerballer21
    Hey Swaggin, what percent body fat is good for an athlete. I have never gotten an official body fat percentage but last year some guy at my moms work had an informal thing (not 100% accurate but it was supposedly pretty close) and it said i was 4.4% body fat. Now i have gained a good amount of weight (like 20 to 30 lbs) and some height (bout 2 to 3 inches) since then so i bet it has changed a little, but not much.

4 % is pretty low. The male body needs at least 3% or so. SO you at the time were teetering close to that. A male athelte IMO should be around 7-14%, maybe 12% but with the american diet nowadays and the nutritional level of our food falling off the charts, I'll be good with 14% depending on persons overall composition and sport/position.

Having a little extra is not always a bad thing, as the game gets into the latter stages or overtime, the body can tap into that fuel source for energy that may not otherwise be avaliable in super lean people (not saying those lean people couldn't last though)

Yea a guy like Dejaun Blair is an energy guy and he has around 12%. I'd still think under 10% would have more benefits though because you aren't carrying around that extra weight. I think 8% is a great place to be. 8% fat you will be ripped but not at a point where you have to worry about internal organs getting messed up if you get nailed in the gut lol. 4% is ridiculously low.

Aaron Brooks clocked in at 2.7 though coming out of Oregon tho and he seems to be doing alright lol. Man WTF tho I mean I know he is always running around but good lord his metabolism must have an unquenchable thirst for calories lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Yea a guy like Dejaun Blair is an energy guy and he has around 12%. I'd still think under 10% would have more benefits though because you aren't carrying around that extra weight. I think 8% is a great place to be. 8% fat you will be ripped but not at a point where you have to worry about internal organs getting messed up if you get nailed in the gut lol. 4% is ridiculously low.

Aaron Brooks clocked in at 2.7 though coming out of Oregon tho and he seems to be doing alright lol. Man WTF tho I mean I know he is always running around but good lord his metabolism must have an unquenchable thirst for calories lol.
    2.7!?!?! thats crazy but kind of reminds me of my metabolism, extremely high.

Decent playground baller Lancerballer21's Avatar

Yeah well everyone in my family has wicked fast metabolisms when my dad was my age he was 6'3" and 150lbs, and right now im 6'5" and about 170-175lbs