Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Stephen Curry's overall championship playoff run

How good was it?

Stephen Curry (2014-2015)
    28.3 ppg, 6.4 apg, 5 rpg, 1.9 spg on 46%, 42%, 84%, efg of 57%, 31.04 usage percentage

For comparison (their 1st chip as the undisputed #1 man, perimeter players):

Dwyane Wade (2005-2006)
    28.4 ppg, 5.7 apg, 5.9 rpg, 2.2 spg, 1.1 bpg on 50%, 38%, 81%, efg of 51%, 31.73 usage percentage

Kobe Bryant (2008-2009)
    30.2 ppg, 5.5 apg, 5.3 rpg, 1.7 spg, .9 bpg on 46%, 35%, 88%, efg of 49%, 32.95 usage percentage

Lebron James (2012-2013)
    30.3 ppg, 5.6 apg, 9.7 rpg, 1.9 spg, .7 bpg on 50%, 26%, 74%, efg of 52%,
    29.24 usage percentage

To me, it seems like he did comparatively well, and played less minutes than those three. They all had an equally good cast of supporting players (Gasol, Odom, Shaq, Wade, Bosh). He did it within a team concept and still put up #1 option stats.

Agree/disagree? You can talk about his defense, but he played pretty good defense over the course of the playoffs. He is a point guard, so his impact on that side of the ball will of course be diminished a lot in comparison to a ball hawking shooting guard like Wade or Bryant. He did his role within an excellent defense - similar to a Tony Parker or Chauncey. He was more effective than the rest of these players (efg) and had a lower usage rate.

Default Re: Stephen Curry's overall championship playoff run

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    To me, it seems like he did comparatively well, and played less minutes than those three. They all had an equally good cast of supporting players (Gasol, Odom, Shaq, Wade, Bosh). He did it within a team concept and still put up #1 option stats.
    In what way was Wade's 06 team comparable to any of these teams?
    I'm a Heat fan and I can tell you that 06 was one of the weakest finals champions in a while.

What Wade did was as impressive as it gets given his average team. Saying that though, the league was in a bit of a rut post that 3 peat Laker team. It was pretty bad watching some of the ball from 05-07, so Wade's competition was slightly worse too.

Curry was great, but he is behind all 3 of those guys in terms of impact on the court IMO.

he faced no competition in the run

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    How good was it?

Stephen Curry (2014-2015)
    28.3 ppg, 6.4 apg, 5 rpg, 1.9 spg on 46%, 42%, 84%, efg of 57%, 31.04 usage percentage

For comparison (their 1st chip as the undisputed #1 man, perimeter players):

Dwyane Wade (2005-2006)
    28.4 ppg, 5.7 apg, 5.9 rpg, 2.2 spg, 1.1 bpg on 50%, 38%, 81%, efg of 51%, 31.73 usage percentage

Kobe Bryant (2008-2009)
    30.2 ppg, 5.5 apg, 5.3 rpg, 1.7 spg, .9 bpg on 46%, 35%, 88%, efg of 49%, 32.95 usage percentage

Lebron James (2012-2013)
    30.3 ppg, 5.6 apg, 9.7 rpg, 1.9 spg, .7 bpg on 50%, 26%, 74%, efg of 52%,
    29.24 usage percentage

Agree/disagree? You can talk about his defense, but he played pretty good defense over the course of the playoffs. He is a point guard, so his impact on that side of the ball will of course be diminished a lot in comparison to a ball hawking shooting guard like Wade or Bryant. He did his role within an excellent defense - similar to a Tony Parker or Chauncey. He was more effective than the rest of these players (efg) and had a lower usage rate.

His stats are even better if you compare per 100 possessions to adjust for the fact that Curry played less minutes.

Curry played broke down teams, right? All teams had a major injury or two

Grizzlies - Conley
    Rockets - Beverly
    Cavs - Love, Irving, Varejao

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation

Grizzlies - Conley
    Rockets - Beverly
    Whats your point? Which Lebron's championship run havent faced injured teams? None? Exactly.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Definitely a great run, however I agree with one of the above posters that his impact on the court isn't quite on the level of the other 3 guys.

Nowhere near good as the 3, to be honest. Offense as well as defense.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Whats your point? Which Lebron's championship run havent faced injured teams? None? Exactly.
    Good point. These Bran stans don't know when to call it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Who was injured in 2011-12 playoff run on any of the teams Bron faced?

Outside of Deng in 12-13, I can't think of anyone else they faced while injured too.

In fact, the Heat dealt with the Bosh injury, while the teams they played against were healthy in comparison to what they had that year.
    Last edited by plowking; 06-19-2015 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    His stats are even better if you compare per 100 possessions to adjust for the fact that Curry played less minutes.
    Oh really?

Wade - 36.3ppg, 7.5reb, 7.3ast, 49.7fg%, 80.8ft%, 5.0tov, 26.9PER, .240 WS/48
    Lebron - 38.7ppg, 12.4reb, 7.2ast, 50.0fg%, 73.9ft%, 4.5tov, 30.3PER, .284 WS/48
    Kobe - 39.0ppg, 6.9reb, 7.1ast, 45.7fg%, 88.3ft%, 3.3tov, 26.8PER, .238 WS/48
    Stephen - 36.9ppg, 6.5reb, 8.3ast, 45.6fg%, 83.5ft%, 5.1tov, 24.5PER, .228 WS/48

I do think that Lebron, Wade and Kobe are better, but it is mainly due to the eye test. They are bigger, badder, and just seem more like the prototypical type of players to win in the NBA. Lebron def was better, and that run was probably the best playoff run of the past 10-15 years. He was a beast.

Curry does stuff that people can't really comprehend in my opinion. The gravity he has on the floor is similar to what Shaq had. You have to cover him from 28 feet in, there is no weakness in his offensive game when it comes to scoring. He can hit the three, hit the midrange, finish inside, hit the floater etc (as seen by his efg).

His biggest weakness by far is his ability to pass through/around double teams. He def got flustered and made some turnovers etc because of that. It is something he'll work on in the offseason. That constant doubling pressure in the playoffs was new and he struggled with it against some teams. Once he figured it out (usually halfway through game 3 or game 4 in both Memphis and Cleveland) it was pure dominance from there on out.

He scored 10.8 ppg at 75% TS in the 4th. That is unbelievable almost. It is better than any of those above mentioned first year runs by a wide margin.

Curry scores better in bunches than any of those players. If he was as aggressive a shooter as those guys he could of easily dropped his efg by 3-5% and upped his scoring by 6 ppg. Would it of made his team better? Likely not - they succeed as a team. Others would of had less rhythm and shot a poorer percentage.

Wade had Shaq. Shaq in the East is just not fair. Curry had the best team, but his 2nd best player practically became a nobody during the playoffs. It was a clear cut #1 and an excellent 2 to 7 type team. Historically, the playoffs have had either two top 7 (at the moment playing) players like a Wade + Shaq, Kobe + Gasol, Lebron + Wade to win a ring. He combined the Spurs system with the production of one straight superstar.

In a vacuum Dray, Klay, Iggy, Shawn, Barbosa, Speights, Lee, etc are all just good to possibly great (Iggy, Klay) players. With him on the floor they become unstoppable at times. The amount of space given to the other players on the floor because of him is similar to what people got with a prime Shaq. Iggy was taking practice jumpers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation

Grizzlies - Conley
    Rockets - Beverly
    DMO being out with a back injury was bigger than Beverly being out IMO. D-MO is secretly the Rockets second-best player. He undoubtedly was in the regular season too. The defense stayed borderline elite without Dwight out there. DMO was basically playing center and was second option for large chunks of the year.

On the topic: OP this is too vague. You have to show more, like the post here. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=343591

There are more things to look at than just those stats. Honestly, Currys might be the worst when you consider everything. I only say "might" because I dont know too much about Wade's run outside of his great Finals.
    Last edited by Rocketswin2013; 06-19-2015 at 01:35 AM.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

He played better defense than Lebron did this year.

Personally, I have him as the worst too.

1. Lebron
    2. Wade
    3. Kobe
    4. Curry

I just am tired of the shtick that he isn't an amazing generational player. He has changed the way basketball is being played. He is not a fraud like Rose, or a non-champ like Nash (who i have the utmost respect for), or an inefficient chucker (who is the most entertaining player in the league) like Westbrook. He is legitimately as good as anyone in the league on a given day.

Does anyone have the "Respect ratings" for the playoff? If you aren't familiar with what that is, this is copy/pasted from the insider article:

Back in October, we took a close look at the concept of gravity and the players who have the most gravitational pull on the basketball court. What do we mean by gravity? Check out Kevin Pelton's helpful FAQ and a ranking of the NBA's top floor-spacers using STATS LLC's SportVU player-tracking data.

Looking at last season's data, Curry topped the list in my respect rating, which quantifies a player's gravitational pull by using SportVU's proprietary gravity score and distraction score -- two fancy STATS LLC metrics provided to ESPN Insider.

To recap, gravity score measures how closely a player's defender sticks to him off the ball. Higher gravity scores generally belong to bigs because their primary defender must stay close and also protect the basket. On the other hand, guards typically have lower gravity scores simply because defenders have more liberty to shade off their guy on the perimeter. But elite shooters typically generate more attention off the ball.

Then there's distraction score, which quantifies how much a player's defender is willing to help off the ball to stop the ball handler. The worse he is as a shooter, the more likely his defender will be distracted by the ball handler. To identify the most effective floor-spacers in the NBA, I created a composite score that combines the two metrics. The result is what I've called "respect rating," which has now been translated to a 1-to-100 scale with 100 being the most magnetic (think sharpshooters) and 1 being least magnetic (think non-scoring bigs).