Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: ISH Official "Wilt Chamberlain era" GIF thread

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    got any pre-broken-kneecap Elgin Baylor?

what about Tommy Heinsohn?

Early days Earl Monroe dude was incredible in Baltimore. They had like 5 point guards lol Don Ohl, Johnny Egan, and then they had Kevin Loughery and Jack Marin at forwards and old Ray Scott, which those guys are totally forgot. yeah. Got any early days Baltimore Bullets?

a little bit later on, any game between Wilt Chamberlain's Lakers & Chicago Bulls or the Bucks. Those were some incredible games. {edit: if you had some of those esp. from 1971 or 1972 you could see how Wilt would glide for 3 1/2 quarters and then Bill Sharman would talk to him for a timeout. They would walk along the sidelines and when you saw that, the game was over. At that point Wilt would wipe his face off with a towel and you would see sparks fly at that point.} San Diego Clippers. Or what about early Suns when they had Connie Hawkins? Fly Hawk!! That man was immensely skilled offense.
    If you have now this is 70s but if you have some games where Bill Russell was doing color commentary I would like to watch some of them. Russell is the prototype of all great color commentary and better than almost everything out there today. He would watch teams for a few minutes and then he would just have this kind of pronouncement about what each team was trying to do........... and then he would just fall silent and you could just watch it unfolding exactly as he said it would. At times he was just literally astounding accuracy in what he saw happening.

I'd like to see Bob Lanier & Cowens - some of the actual games between those two guys were such a pure intensity you felt like the stands were going to catch on fire.
    Friend of mine used to have a big old Zenith console tv with the built in hi-fi. We would drag that monster out onto his patio and sit under an umbrella with a bucket of something real cold to drink and watch games. During the commercial breaks he would crank out the Led Zeppelin or Jimi or Beatles and we'd be listening to Whole Lotta Love and watching some stupid commercial about a 1973 Buick. Anyhow by mid-70s it was like watching Ali & Frazier sometimes. Lot of fights. There were a couple of games that just got into all out brawls and the tv station would just change the program to something totally random, like, skiing or something else. Women's swimming, or ice skating in Norway.

But Lanier and Cowens is one in particular that we still talk about. There were 3 or 4 times they just threw down. They would go at it so bad that refs, coaches, and both entire teams would be standing between them trying to cool things off. Lanier was physically monstrous and would beat guys down on the court. Actually would hit them with his fists. That man got thrown out of a lot of basketball games. But Dave Cowens would never let that happen to any Celtic. He was always ready to throw down on Lanier and did. Lanier was a big ol' boy but he ended up being Dave's b!tch for like 10 years.
    Well, here's your early Baltimore
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_z-7ODb-9g

remember, I said gif requests lol - I'm not putting any games or documentaries on my channel, they remove channels that have them. I just upload mixes (which take a ton of time - and I'm not taking requests for them at the moment) or I'll make gifs of single plays

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Well, here's your early Baltimore
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_z-7ODb-9g

remember, I said gif requests lol - I'm not putting any games or documentaries on my channel, they remove channels that have them. I just upload mixes (which take a ton of time - and I'm not taking requests for them at the moment) or I'll make gifs of single plays
    awesome find thanks!!

yeah yeah I know about the youtube deal but any little clips of those are greatly appreciated thanks a million!

I have an certain Elgin Baylor dunk on my mind, but I don't know which game. It was on a purple gold jersey already and on the break, I don't think he posterized someone from my memory(saw it on tv like 15 years ago). He ran from right to left on the screen iirc.

Edit: My mind tricked me. I think those are the white jerseys, but I found it on your mix.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUBiSbD2HbE#t=3m25s
    ..and he even dunked on someone.
    Last edited by Overdrive; 02-02-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    I have an certain Elgin Baylor dunk on my mind, but I don't know which game. It was on a purple gold jersey already and on the break, I don't think he posterized someone from my memory(saw it on tv like 15 years ago). He ran from right to left on the screen iirc.

Edit: My mind tricked me. I think those are the white jerseys, but I found it on your mix.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUBiSbD2HbE#t=3m25s
    ..and he even dunked on someone.
    Based on your description for some reason I had the completely wrong dunk in mind this is what I thought you were talking about:

There used to be a gif of that Bill Russell dunk elsewhere on the net but now that I went to the link it appears to have been removed, so I'll have to upload it later tonight but right now going out for a beer and a laugh

Based on your description for some reason I had the completely wrong dunk in mind this is what I thought you were talking about:

There used to be a gif of that Bill Russell dunk elsewhere on the net but now that I went to the link it appears to have been removed, so I'll have to upload it later tonight but right now going out for a beer and a laugh
    Haha, yeah I was totally stunned that it looked so different from what was planted into my memory. I just had his motion remembered. I even added colours that weren't there and until this post I never noticed it was Bill Russell.

That dunk made me dig into bios of older players when I first saw it.

Cheers

Do you think it's possible to make an user image sized gif of it?

College superstar

I would like to see nice Earl the Pearl ankle breaker.

Bob Pettit steals the ball and jams it '65 all-star game
    dat travel

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Good post but they are still unevolved. they can barely jump or move if they played in this era

Anyone got any gif requests? I've got every type of NBA footage under the sun from that era
    Russell definitely please

Great thread but rename it to "Bill Russell Era".

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Great thread but rename it to "Bill Russell Era".
    No, you mean "The Celtic Dynasty Era." Russell was beaten like a drum by Chamberlain in that era. If it hadn't been for his teammates thoroughly outplaying Wilt's, it likely would have been the "Wilt Dynasty Era."

Connie Hawkins:

NCAA Bill Russell: