Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jay Mariotti: Basketball is the second biggest sport In America now

NBA or UFC or MLB

those are the #2 through #4 sports right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Awkrewen
    I would put Basketball at most as 4th worldwide

Soccer/Football
    Cricket
    Rugby

Easily top 3, Baseketball might be 4th, but it isnt 2nd.

Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    NBA or UFC or MLB

MMA is getting big but still isn't that big like the other leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    NBA or UFC or MLB

Kinda hard to guage sports like the UFC or boxing because there isn't a regular season to consistently see how interested fans stay. They do constantly win over the key male demographics though when they put events and shows on SpikeTV though.

Serious playground baller

In the young demographic, NBA is easily number 2. In the older 50+ crowd, baseball is easily number 2. It just depends on who's watching and who's spending money.

Baseball's TV ratings have dropped precipitously overall. However, the World Series this year still (barely) outdrew the NBA Finals. In the 49 and under demo, though, the NBA beat MLB.

So right now I'd say they're probably tied in terms of overall popularity. Kobe and LeBron may actually be the two of the three biggest sports figures in the US now, along with Peyton.

Quote Originally Posted by rs98762001
    In the young demographic, NBA is easily number 2. In the older 50+ crowd, baseball is easily number 2. It just depends on who's watching and who's spending money.

Baseball's TV ratings have dropped precipitously overall. However, the World Series this year still (barely) outdrew the NBA Finals. In the 49 and under demo, though, the NBA beat MLB.

So right now I'd say they're probably tied in terms of overall popularity. Kobe and LeBron may actually be the two of the three biggest sports figures in the US now, along with Peyton.
    That sounds about right. I think I said this in another thread.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

You realize Spring Training gets more coverage than the NBA when it kicks in right? More people cover baseball, baseball gets more time allotted to it than basketball. . .and as other have said, many people are turned off by the baby attitudes of a lot of NBA players, as well as all the drug charges and arrests that happen.

A lot fewer people stopped watching baseball due to roids than people think. Nobody I know is less interested in baseball after it. Only people who barely watch baseball say crap like "I'm not watching anymore!". They barely watched anyway.

Also, baseball fans are more loyal than basketball ones. I dunno who even said that. People here cheer for the Lakers and Magic and shit. . .and not too long ago MJ was winning titles here! Meanwhile, Sox and Cubs fans here are very loyal, not to mention teams who suck year after year (Pirates), have plenty of people going to every game regardless of their future and present looking bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    You realize Spring Training gets more coverage than the NBA when it kicks in right? More people cover baseball, baseball gets more time allotted to it than basketball. . .and as other have said, many people are turned off by the baby attitudes of a lot of NBA players, as well as all the drug charges and arrests that happen.

A lot fewer people stopped watching baseball due to roids than people think. Nobody I know is less interested in baseball after it. Only people who barely watch baseball say crap like "I'm not watching anymore!". They barely watched anyway.

Also, baseball fans are more loyal than basketball ones. I dunno who even said that. People here cheer for the Lakers and Magic and shit. . .and not too long ago MJ was winning titles here! Meanwhile, Sox and Cubs fans here are very loyal, not to mention teams who suck year after year (Pirates), have plenty of people going to every game regardless of their future and present looking bleak.
    I'm sure long times fans of baseball have stop watching it, because of not just roids but no salary cap as well. NCAA basketball fans are more loyal than NBA fans are. Also why haven't NFL fans stop watching the NFL? There more arrests than any sport league.
    Last edited by Lebron Bryant; 07-08-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Banned

all I know is that it SHOULD be

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron Bryant
    I'm sure long times fans of baseball have stop watching it, because of not just roids but no salary cap as well. NCAA basketball fans are more loyal than NBA fans are.
    I'm more of a baseball fan than a basketball one. I didn't even bat an eye at the roids thing. Didn't care at all.

Steroids are, and have been a part of sports for a long time. To think otherwise is just naive. Sure it sucks that people use them, but that's no reason to be a baby about it.

There is a salary cap in baseball. It's just not a "hard cap". It's a soft cap, which means you can go over it with no penalty besides having to pay a luxury tax.

The soft salary cap thing is annoying for small market team fans, but for fans of big market teams they like it. Not to mention. . .even with the soft cap, small market teams tend to do well more often than they do in salary cap leagues like the NBA! Look at the D Rays. . .or loook at the Twins. . .the Marlins. . . Both the Twins and Marlins have won multiple titles in the last dozen years or so, and have had salaries nearly half what the cap is!

So. . .considering that MLB is more balanced than the NBA by FAR. . .and that a team can have a chance regardless of salary, unlike the NBA, it's a lot easier to stay interested for smaller market teams.

Small market teams do better in the MLB than the NBA. I agree with you right there.

Most of the time NHL has bad ratings in the USA. It does great in Canada but not in USA unless it's something like Chicago/Philly.
    what factual information do you have to show or are you just basing that on the fact that they were both in the stanley cup finals this year?

Small market teams do better in the MLB than the NBA. I agree with you right there.
    Yep. . . imo that's the main reason the NBA isn't as popular as those other two sports. The same teams keep winning in the NBA. It gets very boring. Think of the teams that have won the last 30-40 titles. like 60% of them have been Lakers or Celtics. . .and another 10 of those titles were Bulls or Spurs (though those are my teams, so I'm not complaining~). Aside from those guys, only 4-5 teams ever won in the last 30-40 years. Very depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by usdmef9
    what factual information do you have to show or are you just basing that on the fact that they were both in the stanley cup finals this year?
    I should say the bigger teams instad of a Canada team or a team like the Panthers.

Right now it's #1 but after this show it will be back down to #3