Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are the Hawks the luckiest team ever in NBA playoffs history?

Well they played the Nets in 1st round. Dont get me wrong, I am a Nets fan, but we truly sucked this year and the Hawks were fortunate they played us in 1st round, or they probably wouldnt have made it this far. And then the Wizards, which actually can beat them in a 7 games series if healthy. But a Wall-less wizards are no match for the Hawks. In ECF they will play Cavs or Bulls, both struggling with injuries to key players. Assuming they make it to NBA finals, they may play the Clippers or Grizzlies which also have star players with injuries.

So has there ever been a team with such insurmountable luck that they only play injury-plagued teams or sub .500 teams on their way to NBA finals/titles? I know the Hawks have injured players too, such as Thabo Sefolosha, but I am talking about injuries to star/key players, not to bench warmers. I dont think I've ever seen one since I began watching this sports in 1998, and I doubt it ever happened in the entire NBA history either.
    Last edited by Kiddlovesnets; 05-12-2015 at 09:39 AM.

Default Re: Are the Hawks the luckiest team ever in NBA playoffs history?

It's not luck, it's just what you are entitled to when you're a top seed in the East.

Atlanta peaked in March and they lost their edge ever since. Here's hoping they regain that edge, but they look pretty weak. Like they just expected to waltz into the ECF and then suddenly raise their game.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Miami had a pretty easy run last year till the finals at least

Their biggest luck is that they are in the east

Local High School Star

i would say the 99 Knicks were the luckiest i have seen. dont get me wrong, they played hard and fought for the victories but they got lucky many times.

Loved that team with the bigmen rotation of young Camby, hobbled LJ, THE Chris Dudley, goofy Kurt Thomas and injured Ewing. What a mess, but all great guys i liked to watch competing.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
    Well they played the Nets in 1st round. Dont get me wrong, I am a Nets fan, but we truly sucked this year and the Hawks were fortunate they played us in 1st round, or they probably wouldnt have made it this far. And then the Wizards, which actually can beat them in a 7 games series if healthy. But a Wall-less wizards are no match for the Hawks. In ECF they will play Cavs or Bulls, both struggling with injuries to key players. Assuming they make it to NBA finals, they may play the Clippers or Grizzlies which also have star players with injuries.

So has there ever been a team with such insurmountable luck that they only play injury-plagued teams or sub .500 teams on their way to NBA finals/titles? I know the Hawks have injured players too, such as Thabo Sefolosha, but I am talking about injuries to star/key players, not to bench warmers. I dont think I've ever seen one since I began watching this sports in 1998, and I doubt it ever happened in the entire NBA history either.
    The Hawks are as banged up as anyone. Our best defender (Sefalosha) is out. Teague has been playing on a bum ankle for the past month, and seems to re-roll it every game, Horford has a dislocated finger on his shooting hand and hasn't been able to shoot all playoffs. Millsap has a bum shoulder and had the flu the past game, and now it's looking like Carroll has a hip pointer.

The injury excuse is BS.

Golden State Aster*sks

F*ck the Hawks, they're the biggest pretenders in the NBA. They're a poor man's San Antonio Spurs and everyone knows it. I hope their team gets sold for having poor attendance. Atlanta can suck my ****.

Miami*

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Taller than CP3
    F*ck the Hawks, they're the biggest pretenders in the NBA. They're a poor man's San Antonio Spurs and everyone knows it. I hope their team gets sold for having poor attendance. Atlanta can suck my ****.
    What have the Hawks done to get so much hate? We've never won anything.

I typically root for the underdogs or new blood, but I guess most people like to see the same teams win over and over again.

Still should make it to the Finals. They have been good for a while and are in good position.

Quote Originally Posted by NDaATL
    What have the Hawks done to get so much hate ?
    Probably because of certain fans on here.

128 time NBA All Star Run&Gun=Fun's Avatar

How can someone's own luck be insurmountable?

Quote Originally Posted by Taller than CP3
    I never saw the Spurs comparison at all. They remind me of the East Version of the Grizzlies but instead of a lockdown defender at SG they have a knockdown shooter, and a better backup PG

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Jazz
    i would say the 99 Knicks were the luckiest i have seen. dont get me wrong, they played hard and fought for the victories but they got lucky many times.

Quote Originally Posted by lilteapot
    It's not luck, it's just what you are entitled to when you're a top seed in the East.
    This. They earned 1st seed, which allows them to beat up on a cruddy 8th seed team. Now the 2nd and 3rd seeded teams are beating up on each other, which happens all the time, again, another perk of being 1st seed. Yes, Wall going down is a benefit to them, but that isn't enough to put them even close to "luckiest team ever" category.

Very good NBA starter

Any team that gets to the finals from the East is lucky.

Add another one to the list