Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-07-2016, 12:21 AM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default I have a few minutes to wait for my ride. I will type till it arrives.

About basketball. Remember basketball you Kobe/Lebron/Curry obsessed jackasses? You make me so....ok. No. Lets take it down a notch. Lets keep it friendly.

Friendly and basketball related. Im gonna ask as many questions as come into my head before I go.

I was recently watching a Spurs game from the 90s....because thats the kind of shit I do to pass time. It was during the stretch Will Perdue was starting along with Duncan and Drob in one of the weirdest lineups ever seen. Will was more athletic than he looked....but he had no business on the floor in a 3 big lineup that saw him occasionally guard swingmen. Though Duncan did a lot of it for him in the game I watched.

Thing is....

They beasted though.

Reminds me of another absurd rarely seen lineup. The Suns when they had Kidd, Nash, and Kevin Johnson and sometimes played them together.

Leads me to question one:

If you had to play Will Perdue, Duncan, and Drob together in any order 3-5 you wished....or play Kidd/Nash/KJ(lets assume its prime versions of all 6)...

which do you pick to try to win a title today?

Ultra unheardof smallball with 2 wizard passers and a mean slasher who can defend bigger guards....or "You gotta be kidding....." big ball where you gobble up all rebounds and try to win 92-87?

You going super big or super small if you have to pick one set of 3 starters in their primes? On one hand....Nash/KJ in their primes add a lot to the suns...but prime Drob and Duncan? The lane...is closed. Period.

I might start Nash and Kidd....and bring KJ off the bench if I had that option...but I dont. Start them all and play them together for at least 30 minutes a night.

Who you going with? The extra talented #3 instead of Perdue...or the guys to make up for the defensive issues with the best two way 4/5 combo of all time?

Second question:

Who is the best you ever saw at the following rarely brought up skills?

Pump faking outside the paint?

Finishing after contact?

Passing out of the post?

Throwing lobs as a non point?

Im gonna say....maybe....Chris Jackson, Karl Malone, and Bill Walton....and id accept Charles Oakley and Blake Griffin for the last one....but feel im forgetting someone. I welcome all opinions.

Third question:

Who do you think the best player in all history would be....if you could choose anyone...to play for your favorite team for only 8 minutes a game?

Consider the following....

They get paid 15 million a season. The 8 minutes cant be on average end of the year...so no playing him 16 every other game. 8 minutes is the max for any game.

And just to be a dick?

You cant have anyone in your personal top 10.

So no bringing MJ off the bench in the 4th to lock up the other tams point and go all out on offense.

You are gonna have to think for a moment.

Would you even take anyone?

Would say....8 minutes of peak Kevin Garnett be worth 15 million of cap space? You get him in practice...he can motivate guys...keep the youngsters in line. Whatever. His role is of a normal player...who just cant top 8 minutes in any game.

Youre the GM. Do you tell your owner you dont think he should take anyone? Is a great leader/practice warrior/extra coach on the sideline worth 15 million if they only play 8 minutes max?

I have another for #4....but I dont have time for it. Im gonna go be bored out of my mind for several hours at the tail end of a cookout/house party in a shitty part of town full of shitty people I dont know because my friend wants to **** one of them and I said id go. I may be a largely do nothing mod...but I try to be a top notch friend. But im gonna talk all kinds of shit on the way....
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #2
Akrazotile
NBA Superstar

Default Re: I have a few minutes to wait for my ride. I will type till it arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
About basketball. Remember basketball you Kobe/Lebron/Curry obsessed jackasses? You make me so....ok. No. Lets take it down a notch. Lets keep it friendly.

Friendly and basketball related. Im gonna ask as many questions as come into my head before I go.

I was recently watching a Spurs game from the 90s....because thats the kind of shit I do to pass time. It was during the stretch Will Perdue was starting along with Duncan and Drob in one of the weirdest lineups ever seen. Will was more athletic than he looked....but he had no business on the floor in a 3 big lineup that saw him occasionally guard swingmen. Though Duncan did a lot of it for him in the game I watched.

Thing is....

They beasted though.

Reminds me of another absurd rarely seen lineup. The Suns when they had Kidd, Nash, and Kevin Johnson and sometimes played them together.

Leads me to question one:

If you had to play Will Perdue, Duncan, and Drob together in any order 3-5 you wished....or play Kidd/Nash/KJ(lets assume its prime versions of all 6)...

which do you pick to try to win a title today?

Ultra unheardof smallball with 2 wizard passers and a mean slasher who can defend bigger guards....or "You gotta be kidding....." big ball where you gobble up all rebounds and try to win 92-87?

You going super big or super small if you have to pick one set of 3 starters in their primes? On one hand....Nash/KJ in their primes add a lot to the suns...but prime Drob and Duncan? The lane...is closed. Period.

I might start Nash and Kidd....and bring KJ off the bench if I had that option...but I dont. Start them all and play them together for at least 30 minutes a night.

Who you going with? The extra talented #3 instead of Perdue...or the guys to make up for the defensive issues with the best two way 4/5 combo of all time?

Second question:

Pump faking outside the paint?

Finishing after contact?

Passing out of the post?

Throwing lobs as a non point?

Im gonna say....maybe....Chris Jackson, Karl Malone, and Bill Walton....and id accept Charles Oakley and Blake Griffin for the last one....but feel im forgetting someone. I welcome all opinions.

Third question:

Who do you think the best player in all history would be....if you could choose anyone...to play for your favorite team for only 8 minutes a game?

Consider the following....

They get paid 15 million a season. The 8 minutes cant be on average end of the year...so no playing him 16 every other game. 8 minutes is the max for any game.

And just to be a dick?

You cant have anyone in your personal top 10.

So no bringing MJ off the bench in the 4th to lock up the other tams point and go all out on offense.

You are gonna have to think for a moment.

Would you even take anyone?

Would say....8 minutes of peak Kevin Garnett be worth 15 million of cap space? You get him in practice...he can motivate guys...keep the youngsters in line. Whatever. His role is of a normal player...who just cant top 8 minutes in any game.

Youre the GM. Do you tell your owner you dont think he should take anyone? Is a great leader/practice warrior/extra coach on the sideline worth 15 million if they only play 8 minutes max?

I have another for #4....but I dont have time for it. Im gonna go be bored out of my mind for several hours at the tail end of a cookout/house party in a shitty part of town full of shitty people I dont know because my friend wants to **** one of them and I said id go. I may be a largely do nothing mod...but I try to be a top notch friend. But im gonna talk all kinds of shit on the way....

Akrazotile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:32 AM   #3
warriorfan
The Bully

Default Re: I have a few minutes to wait for my ride. I will type till it arrives.

For the super bigs vs super smalls

Can't decide, they both seem equally ineffective

best of list

Best Pump Fakes Outside Paint - Jordan
Finishing after contact - Jordan Guard, Barkely or Malone Forward, obviously Shaq Center
Passing out of the post - Probably Bill Walton
Non point throwing lobs - Wade or James

Kevin Garnett is easily the best option you listed from your criteria

Wade as a 4th Quarter closer could be pretty legit as well

And yes they would both still be worth 15 million of cap space
warriorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
Ca$H
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

mod...but I try to be a top notch friend. But im gonna talk all kinds of shit on the way....

Did you delete my thread? For what reason? It doesn't violate the TOS.
Ca$H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
FKAri
NBA All-star

Pump faking outside the paint: DWade comes to mind. I have not seen any other shooter of his caliber get as many people to bite on a pump fake.

8 minutes a game:It would have to be an iso scorer. A great defender needs to feel out the game and mesh well with the team. Atleast imo.

A guy like Dantley or Iverson come to mind. But I'm sure there are better players that could be taken. Someone who would give your offense a completely different look and force the other team to adjust would be great. It could also be a big like DRob or Moses. I think I have Hakeem and Kobe in my top 10 so I can't pick them.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

get a life dude.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Papaya Petee
Heat Nation

If my back court has good 3 point shooters (not necessarily good scorers) Im taking the bigs all day.
Pump faking outside the paint? Wade by a country mile. People bite on his pump fake every single game.
Finishing after contact- Jordan, Drexler, Iverson, Wade for guards. LeBron and Barkley as forwards and Shaq as center. LeBron\Barkley is the GOAT at finishing after contact regardless of position.
Passing out of the post- Im not sure. Probably boils down to Kareem/Hakeem/Walton though. Probably Jordan for a guard as well.
Throwing lobs as a non point? Just youtube Wade ally oops to LeBron or Shaq. If you include PGs its 100% Chris Paul. He made Tyson Chandler relevant just by throwing the lob.

With the new TV deal Id pay for 8 minutes of someone like Jerry West or Prime Reggie/Ray because of their amazing shooting abilities and clutch genes. Before the new TV deal? Absolutely not. Nobodys worth 15m for 8 minutes.
Papaya Petee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:27 AM   #8
ralph_i_el
The Wizard

I take Duncan/Drob/Perdue over Nash/Kidd/KJ. There's only one ball, and so you get diminishing returns when you have a bunch of skilled ball-handlers. I might take the little guys if they had the right big men though, like Tyson Chandler/Ryan Anderson.

Jamal Crawford is pretty sick with the lob passes.

Gasol Brothers are great paasing out of the post.

Travis Outlaw had one year where everyone bit on his pumpfakes and it earned him a big contract. People found out they didn't have to once he was well scouted.

Kobe has the GOAT pumpfakes imo. Wade is up there.

I'd take prime AI or prime KG for 8mpg.
ralph_i_el is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #9
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Lol at anyone taking Iverson or KG for 8 mpg, over MJ/KJ/LJ/Shaq/Wilt/etc...

Especially Iverson, might get a bricking spree of him. The other questions are legit
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
brownmamba00
Cali Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Lol at anyone taking Iverson or KG for 8 mpg, over MJ/KJ/LJ/Shaq/Wilt/etc...

Especially Iverson, might get a bricking spree of him. The other questions are legit
the op said no top 10 players

I'd take Dirk to play the 4th
brownmamba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #11
Orlando Magic
NBA All-star

1) Duncan / Robinson / Perdue... you can't teach size, and the 2 best players would be on the same team. I know the rules are guard friendly but my statement runs true. Besides, Spurs won a couple WITHOUT Robinson at his peak and Duncan was a damn near ****ing rookie for the other one. Both guys at their peak? Goodbye league. Perdue is just a throw in.

2)Pump faking outside the paint? No idea.

Finishing after contact? Shaq and I'm pretty sure this is objectively true. Honestly I won't even for a second entertain another name.

Passing out of the post? Shaq is my most memorable, not sure about best. Taking the double and making the correct pass with 1 outstretched arm... I'll never forget.

Throwing lobs as a non point? Turkoglu. Granted, Dwight was usually his target but that shit got to the point where it was happening every other game. You can find clips all over YouTube and they are only a fraction.

3) I probably wouldn't take anyone for $15 million although in today's NBA that number means little. But based on reputation I'd strongly consider Vinnie Johnson.
Orlando Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #12
iamgine

Prime Version of Duncan/Drob would wreck. Duncan is now top 10 GOAT, but Robinson was an even better player than him.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #13
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

Bird had perhaps the GOAT pump fake outside the paint. He blinked and people jumped.

Inside the paint I can't help but think of Danny Manning. You knew not to jump, you knew it was coming, but he still got you. And it wasn't even a big pump, just a slight nudge and people flew.

Shaq can't be stopped

Best post passer outside of Walton perhaps Vlade

Throwing lobs as a non point, Bron

C/s KG he's perhaps the ultimate player

Im going big

Throw in any pg with Tim, Dave and Will and they're immediate contenders, can't throw in just any center with the small ball.

Besides, Dave can run like a guard, Tim is a great pick and roll defender and Will has a big clunky body that he's not afraid to use in order to enforce the paint. Not only could they all pass and play the post, they could hit the mid range shot as well. Imagine trying to stop a pick and roll between Dave and Tim? Hell... even Will Perdue would give most lineups fits in a pick and roll situation if either of the others are involved.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #14
CAstill
The GOATS

Definitely going to take Duncan/Drob/Perdue. Duncan alone seals the deal for me.

Pump fake = Kobe and Paul Pierce
Finishing after contact = Jordan, Kobe, Kemp, Shaq, Carter.
Passing out the post = Kobe, Hakeem, Russell, Bird, Walton.
Non point throwing lobs = Wade, Lebron, Ginobli

8 minute 15 million dollar player outside my top 10 = Wade, Dirk, Ginobli, Tmac, Horry
CAstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

8 minute question - Mark Jackson..... can pass , create , shoot and man up defense.

3 player option - 100% bigs.... We need rebounds, and low post play.

Second question:

Pump faking outside the paint? Earl the Pearl Monroe

Finishing after contact? Karl Malone

Passing out of the post? Walton

Throwing lobs as a non point? Admiral
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: