Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Miami Thrice = Dynasty FlashDwyaneWade3's Avatar

Default Would You Be Mad If Teams Best Player Left After Winning NBA Championship?

I don't think this has happen before. But it could happen for the first time with all the Kawhi rumors of him wanting to be back home to California and play for the Lakers or Clippers. Question for fans of all 30 NBA teams. Would you be mad that a team's best player who is a mega star left the team after winning the NBA title just to play for home state team or his favorite team growing up? Would you even boo the hell out of him and heckle him when you attend a game playing against his former team? Would you be saying something like "We could've been a dynasty! F*** you, traitor!" Or would you say "Thank you for winning the NBA Championship for my city, for my favorite team and good luck with your new team."?

Default Re: Would You Be Mad If Teams Best Player Left After Winning NBA Championship?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashDwyaneWade3
    I don't think this has happen before. But it could happen for the first time with all the Kawhi rumors of him wanting to be back home to California and play for the Lakers or Clippers. Question for fans of all 30 NBA teams. Would you be mad that a team's best player who is a mega star left the team after winning the NBA title just to play for home state team or his favorite team growing up? Would you even boo the hell out of him and heckle him when you attend a game playing against his former team? Would you be saying something like "We could've been a dynasty! F*** you, traitor!" Or would you say "Thank you for winning the NBA Championship for my city, for my favorite team and good luck with your new team."?
    I'd have my bowl of salt, but if it was my city's only chip? I'd be grateful.

Default Re: Would You Be Mad If Teams Best Player Left After Winning NBA Championship?

Fans would obviously get upset if Kawhi leaves, but they wouldn't hate on him and boo him because he accomplished the ultimate goal in his first year with the team.

Lets say LeBron didn't win the championship in 2016, but still left in '18. There's no doubt in my mind that Cavs fans would hate on him again, almost like they did in 2010. But because he won a championship there, he got to leave the team on a very good note.

It always depend on circumstances and reason for leaving. With Kawhi, who can be mad at him? Everyone knew there's a decent chance it's gonna be a 1 year rental.

If for example say in '86 Larry Bird randomly moved to the Lakers to join Magic then I suppose people will be mad.

Depends on the situation.

If its free agency, no...players can do what they like.

In this case even more so, because he was never staying past one season.

No. He did what he had to do and chose to be happier elsewhere. One championship is better than none. Anyone who says otherwise is ungrateful

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    No. He did what he had to do and chose to be happier elsewhere. One championship is better than none. Anyone who says otherwise is ungrateful
    Hard to see a reason to get mad at this. Even if it’s one ring during one year, a player has not only fulfilled his contractual obligation to your team, but he got you a ring during that time as well. I’d be more mad if a guy jetted after doing squat for your team a la kyrie.

Local High School Star

The Raptors have a ring and confidence after getting beat down for years by Bron and the Wiz. Kawhi should get a statue in Toronto even if he leaves.

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

Free agency is one of the few times in a players career where he can actually decide where he wants to live and work. Under most circumstances, I would not begrudge a player leaving to join another team. Teams trade away loyal players all the time and fans just shrug and say "It's a business." That works both ways.

The exception would be if the player misled the team or its fans about his intentions. Like a guy who proclaims that he loves a city, wants to spend his entire career there, so that he gets the love and adulation of the fans. Then the guy decides he wants out and jumps ship. Something like that would piss me off.

Local High School Star

if Kawhi leaves, no one would care for the Raptors just like no one cares about the Heat now.

Those annoying Raptor fans are gonna disappear and jumpshift to another team once kawhi leaves

MJ did it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    MJ did it twice.
    And he left the city gifting them 6 chips without making empty promises of not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, not six, not seven...

in Kawhi's case it should be okay

he gave Toronto their ultimate goal.

its different than KD leaving OKC, or Bron leaving Cleveland the first time

It's better than the best player leaving after not winning a title, like Shaq or Durant.

Dude's quiet about his free agency all through out the season.

There some hearsay about him not wanting to play there and doesn't want to commit but at least he is honest about it.

Dude was so focus on getting a championship and he gave it to them.

If he really want to play for the Clippers or any other team, I don't see any reason why Raps fans would be mad about him signing with other team.

Would be upset yes, but getting mad? Again he didn't commit and was honest about it. Le him effin go.