Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: Kobe's legacy if Lakers don't make playoffs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    With him, Howard, Nash and Gasol in same team? Man, not making the playoffs with those 4 stars in the same team is probably a bigger accomplishment than winning the championship with Shaq.
    Kobe's already a consensus top 10 player of all-time and he's already proven that he doesn't need a team of Howard/Nash/Gasol to win. He won his first three rings with Shaq and role players. The 3-peat Lakers were a two man team. He won two more rings and made three straight Finals appearances with essentially just Gasol/Odom. Also like others already said the team has been dealing with significant injuries all year long and Gasol and even Howard haven't played up to their standards so far. Well Pau actually hasn

[QUOTE=Ne 1]Kobe's already a consensus top 10 player of all-time and he's already proven that he doesn't need a team of Howard/Nash/Gasol to win. He won his first three rings with Shaq and role players. The 3-peat Lakers were a two man team. He won two more rings and made three straight Finals appearances with essentially just Gasol/Odom. Also like others already said the team has been dealing with significant injuries all year long and Gasol and even Howard haven't played up to their standards so far. Well Pau actually hasn

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    No, Shaq won his first ring with himself and role players, Kobe being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    I take it you've never actually seen to 2000 finals.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

I believe his ability to show leadership is what is going to take a hit and people will re-evaluate him when guys like Bron and Durant get a couple more seasons. Kobe can not slide right now, but it will make it easier to put those guys ahead of him if they continue to be successful and if this Lakers season continues to be a disaster.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I take it you've never actually seen to 2000 finals.
    I've watched all of the 2000 playoffs, including the entire Finals series. I take it you're the one who has never actually seen it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    I believe his ability to show leadership is what is going to take a hit and people will re-evaluate him when guys like Bron and Durant get a couple more seasons. Kobe can not slide right now, but it will make it easier to put those guys ahead of him if they continue to be successful and if this Lakers season continues to be a disaster.
    Kobe has never been a player that leads with words and encouragement.. He leads with actions aka on court play like he did in 2008.. Once the play drops off the team loses faith.

Anything now is just gravy. Reality.

Nothing to prove. He doesn't need Howard, Gasol (twilight of career), Nash (twilight of career) to win a chip. He did it with Gasol and an injured bynum already.

Obviously to the haters this is not easy concept to grasp.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Well, we're talking about what would be probably the biggest disappointment in modern basketball history. It doesn't push him any lower for me, but it would probably cap Kobe in terms of climbing up my list. I have him at #8 behind Jordan, Russell, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Wilt and Duncan. If the Lakers miss the playoffs I can't see Kobe ever passing those guys for me.

Plus, it would make putting LeBron above him in a couple of years a lot easier. Say what you will about some of LeBron's playoff failures, but this Laker team not making the playoffs would be worse than any of them.
    Last edited by Kurosawa0; 01-13-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Oh man his legacy is gonna take a huge hit. If he doesnt make the finals it will still take a hit. But not making the playoffs? No one saw this coming

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by talkingconch
    Anything now is just gravy. Reality.

Nothing to prove. He doesn't need Howard, Gasol (twilight of career), Nash (twilight of career) to win a chip. He did it with Gasol and an injured bynum already.

Obviously to the haters this is not easy concept to grasp.
    So u'r saying if he won his sixth this year it wouldn't have meant shit?

5-time NBA All-Star

Kobe's accomplishment and achievements are there. His great play can't be undone. He in the top ten for me without question and won't fall out this year. The only blow he can take is that in a tight comparison - those who have him battling Bird, Oscar or Hakeem for a spot, is that his judgement, team play and leadership on the court isn't as good as the other top dozen. Those things usually get better as you age. Unfortunately these traits are getting exaggerated on the bad side for Kobe because of a great number of young players with these traits most noticeably Lebron, Wade, CP, Lillard, DWill, etc. With Durant and Rose showing noticeable improvements every year. I truly think only Lebron and Durant will threaten or achieve a spot in the top ten.

The number of years Kobe has had superior talent on his team will allso be used against him. Garnett, Duncan and Dirk all played well on older teams so people aren't going to be friendly when assessing Kobe in this matter either.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    So u'r saying if he won his sixth this year it wouldn't have meant shit?
    Anything now is just gravy.. Pretty straight forward.

Everyone now is just living in the moment. People don't take all the seasons a player came up short and subtract then from their winning seasons. Not how it works. If so hakeem would have a negative career ranking.. Lebron would still be getting hammered for 2011.. Etc. Kobe is in his 17th season playing very well and his best teammates are hurt and you want to act like the name on paper there means something. The Lakers aren't fielding a competitive team right now for a bunch of reasons not named kobe. No one will care five years down the road..No one remembered hakeem team blowing up with Barkley and drexler when they reunited in old age.. It just doesn't matter.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Anything now is just gravy.. Pretty straight forward.

Everyone now is just living in the moment. People don't take all the seasons a player came up short and subtract then from their winning seasons. Not how it works. If so hakeem would have a negative career ranking.. Lebron would still be getting hammered for 2011.. Etc. Kobe is in his 17th season playing very well and his best teammates are hurt and you want to act like the name on paper there means something. The Lakers aren't fielding a competitive team right now for a bunch of reasons not named kobe. No one will care five years down the road..No one remembered hakeem team blowing up with Barkley and drexler when they reunited in old age.. It just doesn't matter.

Exactly

With regards to Kobe's leadership in 2008, do you think he exhibited the same type of leadership in 2009 and 2010? I wished he could have played liked he did in 2008 leadership wise for the majority of his career.

Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

Not a top 5 player IMO