Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default NBA 2K12 to Feature "Greatest Challenge"

NBA 2K12 is rolling out 15 re-creations of some of the NBA's greatest performances this year. Five players involved with these performances have been mentioned thus far: Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Julius Erving, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. The other ten will not be released until a later date.

"Greatest" Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnanXZt2IDY

http://kotaku.com/5827334/dr-j-joins...enge/gallery/1

Argent wasn't saying exactly what games would be re-created. Five screenshots unveiled show Erving in action against the Celtics (also Kareem against the Bulls, Jordan against the Lakers, and Magic and Bird against each other), and don't really tip off what might be coming. Dr. J's iconic baseline reverse layup came against the Lakers in the 1980 NBA Finals; with Magic and Kareem signed on, that game conceivably could be featured.

Also, "The Jordan Challenge" last year added period-authentic touches on the players, from hi-top fades to [short] shorts, but delivered the game with the standard, modern 2K Sports broadcast package. This time, Argent said, players can expect a retro look and feel for the classic games.

"Just like all of the fun stuff people reacted to last year, we'll have the short shorts and the 'fros," Argent said, "and each one will be broadcast as it appeared in that era, whether that's a technicolor look in the 1980s or black-and-white in the 1960s." Additional touches, such as wipes, graphics and replays, will feel authentic to the times.

Also some early NBA Today news:

Though Argent was tight-lipped on other features for NBA 2K12, he did reveal a significant upgrade to the NBA Today feature, which updates the roster and player ratings throughout the season. This year, when Kobe Bryant debuts new sneakers or if LeBron James dons a new tattoo, this will also be updated. Argent went as far to say that hair styles will also change to reflect a player's new 'do. For diehard NBA fans, this upgrade will keep your season visually in sync with what's happening on the court.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...dy;cbsCarousel
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-04-2011 at 01:09 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: NBA 2K12 to Feature "Greatest Challenge"

The Larry Bird for 2k12 looks much better than the Bird of 2k11. in 2k11 his hair was way too dark.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    The Larry Bird for 2k12 looks much better than the Bird of 2k11. in 2k11 his hair was way too dark.
    Agreed. I kind of expected no less of an upgrade, with Larry being one of the cover subjects this year. It also appears that 1) the shorts are actually as short as they should be for the era and 2) the jerseys seem a little more snug (and not hovering on each player's shoulders).

Banned

Sooo...does this mean we get better gameplay?

I hope they aren't just trying to sell this game off of the legends and make it NBA 2k11.5

Thank you Based Presti OKCThunderUP's Avatar

There should be a "KD at the Rucker" achievement if you score 66 with a single player.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    And his jump shot way too unusable

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Sooo...does this mean we get better gameplay?

I hope they aren't just trying to sell this game off of the legends and make it NBA 2k11.5
    Of course I cannot say for certain, but I found 2K11 to be one heckuva gameplay leap over 2K10, even with the inclusion of all the Jordan-based features (Jordan Challenge, classic teams, classic arenas, Jordan: Be a Legend Mode, etc.). I guess it's all open to interpretation, but I would bet very much that the inclusion of this "Greatest" mode will not mean they had to leave out gameplay improvements they would have made otherwise. I'd actually venture to say that gameplay and things involved with classics (largely art and research) are probably two different departments by and large.

Edit: From a guy named Da_Czar, who is not directly associated with 2K but receives advanced copies of each basketball game each year: "I know you want quality hoops but trust me when I tell you that the gameplay group works on gameplay all year long. Nothing else. Gameplay was not neglected for this. There will be more "basketball" elements in 2k12 than ... So hang on bro your info is coming. Again gameplay producers work on gameplay all year long."
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-03-2011 at 04:13 PM.

I love being able to play the legends in their real uniforms with their real teammates. I'm really excited about 2K11 and now 2K12. I can't wait to play with Magic and Kareem together at the Fabulous Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP
    There should be a "KD at the Rucker" achievement if you score 66 with a single player.

what about Lebron?

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Please tell me that not only the starting 5's are actually real people. For all legendary teams in 11, the bench was just some random people.

Also, if My Player ain't fixed, I ain't buying.

Did they fix the fake players on the classic teams? I know it cant be that hard for the 2K people to create the real bench players and add them onto the rosters.

It literally annoyed me to the point I stopped playing the Jordan Challenge due to the fact that my bench players were full of generic fake players.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Did they fix the fake players on the classic teams? I know it cant be that hard for the 2K people to create the real bench players and add them onto the rosters.

It literally annoyed me to the point I stopped playing the Jordan Challenge due to the fact that my bench players were full of generic fake players.
    They have to get the rights from the real players. it's why the 93 Suns weren't on 2k11. Chuck wouldn't give up his name or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    what about Lebron?
    4th quarter showdown
    2011 NBA Finals

Your challenge:
    - Average 3 points or less in the 4th quarter during the series
    - Shoot at least 0-7 when the score is within five points in the last five minutes of the game during the series
    - Lose the series

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    what about Lebron?
    I agree. They should make a Lebron challenge.

Spurs- Get swept in the series while airballing a free throw

Celtics- Must quit midway through the series. Score 15 points in Game 5 while not recording a FG until the 3rd qrtr.

Mavs- Record the largest PPG dropoff in finals history. Must not average over 2 PPG in the 4th period.

Would be fun to play as a fan