Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default You guys notice how the video game community on YouTube has been taken over by $$$?

Ever since YouTube monetized the video game community (PewdiePie, Markiplier, and now a plethora of others) have now taken off all with the same gimmicks. Everything looks standardized now. A camera window of their face in the upper corner of the screen. Quirky editing, with production quality royalty free music in the background, and an expectation that the uploader will scream and overreact to things happening in the video game and/or expose themselves to other fun challenges in real life now totally unrelated to video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COy6qxWZRUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsgIRPlko4U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97YPlb72zS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0wmuN52B3s

How did this happen? Do you think some of the innocence has been taken from YouTube now that "partner" companies signed with these people and took over these users choices of what they should come out with, and how often? It looks like these users strictly post videos in such a way that nets them and their companies the most profit. Not seeing a lot of individualism anymore. Video game videos are all the same it's just a matter of choose your host now.

Banned

Default Re: You guys notice how the video game community on YouTube has been taken over by $$$?

Your channel is okay but just wait til I release some new videos

Default Re: You guys notice how the video game community on YouTube has been taken over by $$$?

Ok so as much as I play video games (which is a lot), I never got that deep into the gaming world.

Break it down for me barney style what the premise of the post is.

NBA Superstar

YouTube video game commentators have always been an interesting phenomenon to me. Specifically, I'm fascinated by the folks who can sit and watch other people play NBA 2K. I understand watching crazy clips and unbelievable dunks or moves, but just watching a guy play through numerous random games with nothing of real note happening aside from him talking about the game is surprising to me in terms of its profitability. It all appears very strange to an outsider, monetization or not.

That said, do you monetize any of your videos, Cavs? Or have you ever tried? I would assume not since it's mostly footage stemming from others but I was curious. Do guys like the Highlight Factory or Dawkins make profit?

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Ok so as much as I play video games (which is a lot), I never got that deep into the gaming world.

Break it down for me barney style what the premise of the post is.
    I'm just rambling there's no real point. I'm not into video games either. But I've been on YouTube for a while, I notice there are niche communities on YouTube. Monetization heavily affected the video game community in particular on YouTube because it's a niche that seems to generate a bizarrely large amount of traffic. Users that started out with simple playthroughs and such a few years ago have all turned into the same quirky format. Just an observation.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Ariza4three
    Who the hell wants to watch people playing video games just to see their reaction or watch them play games that you can do yourself? I get it maybe to see how you can get passed a certain stage or achieve a certain mission or find some kind of secret or solve a puzzle.
    Same exact question I asked myself time and again. However, apparently there's thousands upon thousands who do so. There's notable gamers out there who make serious money off of just.... playing and talking. Nothing particularly exceptional about what they're doing - they're just... playing and talking. Good for them in terms of finding a way to cash in, but still a strange phenomenon to me, in terms of mass appeal.

National High School Star

Some money is better than no money.

It's not just gaming, but all people in social media videos tend to act loud, eccentric, etc. It's a classic way of getting attention.

Just watch Game Center CX with SA's subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariza4three
    Who the hell wants to watch people playing video games just to see their reaction or watch them play games that you can do yourself? I get looking for one if maybe to see how you can get passed a certain stage or achieve a certain mission or find some kind of secret or solve a puzzle.
    Well that's kind of how video game videos started several years back. Then money got into the equation, now there's like 100 channels that are all several hundred thousand to several 10's of million subscribers in size strictly dedicated to themselves playing video games without actually accomplishing anything specific as you mentioned. The focus has turned more to them acting zaney. It's a weird phenomena, as someone pointed out but it's a huge draw on YouTube. I don't get it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Same exact question I asked myself time and again. However, apparently there's thousands upon thousands who do so. There's notable gamers out there who make serious money off of just.... playing and talking. Nothing particularly exceptional about what they're doing - they're just... playing and talking. Good for them in terms of finding a way to cash in, but still a strange phenomenon to me, in terms of mass appeal.

thousands? More like millions. Doesn't pewdiepie lead youtube in subs?

The target audience for pew die pie is mostly little kids (between the ages of 9-14 or so). They like to watch him play M games that their parents won't buy them and shit. They're also entertained by his juvenile sense of humor.

rank sentamentalist

[IMG]http://www.************.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/1398802810722.jpeg[/IMG]
    Last edited by RidonKs; 08-26-2015 at 01:50 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Alamо
    thousands? More like millions. Doesn't pewdiepie lead youtube in subs?
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking in terms of unique visitors but even then, you're still right. I underestimated how popular that stuff really is.

I understand watching video games being played to 1) learn new strategies in order to get better or 2) see footage of in-game action before you decide to buy.

Otherwise, I don't get it. I certainly wouldn't "donate" as many Twitchers or YouTubers request.

Banned

Delray Misfits is the best channel on youtube

Pretty much a REAL reality tv documentary of an autistic bodybuilder and other characters at the gym