Thread: Frame Rate

National High School Star

Default Frame Rate

Am i the only person in the world who doesn't give much weight to frame rate?

I hear people saying 'Oh, i'm not getting that, it doesn't run a 60 fps.'

Hell, for me to play a game, it just has to be fun. Graphics are secondary.

I feel like video games now are just all about frame rate. Watch any youtube video about any video game and you'll have dozens of comments purely about this.

Damn over privileged kids who grew up in the 2000's, back when i first played my Sega and the original Sonic, shit was dope, 'screen tears' or frame rate drops were just yeah, didn't impact the experience at all!

/end rant

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Frame Rate

When I am playing a PC the frame rate has to be above 60fps at all times. I will even play the game on an ancient resolution like 800x600 just to get above that magical 60fps. Playing at less than 60fps is for Eastern Europeans and Indians with crappy computers who make gaming videos showcasing how games run on the crappy computers. "With Fraps I get 15 fps but without Fraps I get 25fps. Very playable!" DPMO

Most of my games on PS4 are 1080p and 60fps.

The Last of Us Remastered
    NBA 2K14
    Metro Redux
    Wolfenstein
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
    Outlast

So yeah, I think 60fps is kind of the standard now. If your game isn't 60fps, it better have some extra eye candy (Killzone Shadow Fall).

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Frame Rates are super important these days. I mean if you're on a computer then fine it's the fault of your system most likely. But if it happens on a console there's just no excuse these days. Unless there is extreme conditions, like say Skyrim which is just massive.

I agree that graphics are secondary, which is why I'll turn mine all the way down if I have too. But the game has to be moving along at at least 30 fps for me. Once that starts to dip and the game starts to lurch it just becomes such a nuisance, and breaks the immersion.

National High School Star

Yeah, I'm not saying less then 30 fps is good, i'm simply stating that when did fps really lead to giving a great game a negative score simply because it's not running at 60 fps?

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    Yeah, I'm not saying less then 30 fps is good, i'm simply stating that when did fps really lead to giving a great game a negative score simply because it's not running at 60 fps?
    Because optimizing a game's performance is a cornerstone of good development. There's really no excuse beyond some of these games clearly made for PC and ported over to the sub-race.