Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default All things considered, this team is not so bad...

I mean, we came into the off-season expecting Lakers to get Melo or at least some solid all-star, but looking at what moves we've made, this roster doesn't look half bad in the big picture

we currently have

Lin
    Kobe
    Young
    Randle
    Hill
    Boozer
    Ed Davis
    Kendall Marshall
    Steve Nash
    Ryan Kelly
    Robert Sacre

And we're probably signing Jordan Clarkson and re-signing Xavier Henry, that leaves 2 more players to fill our roster, since we're short on SFs we'll probably go after Marion and we could use another big man since we're short on some size on the front court.

Now, is this team, on paper, a championship contender? Hells no. But can it contend for a Playoff spot if Kobe's at his 2011-12 season form? I'm pretty positive about that. Randle has a lot of potential, Lin can play better than he did in that toxic Houston environment and Ed Davis & Boozer were huge steals for what they're paid this season. Kelly showed some promise on the offensive end under MDA,

Marshall is a very talented passer but needs to work on his D and his shooting form (though he was making it rain from 3 all season). Young is a versatile scorer, but is a medicore rebounder and a playmaker, but showed improvement on the defensive end as the season went on. Xavier Henry had a very good start to the season but was unlucky with his injury. Hill we all know is the ultimate hustle player and he gets rebounds whenever he wants to.

I like the overall complexion of this roster, though it doesn't feature any all-stars or superstars outside of Kobe and possibly Randle, it has some depth that we've lacked for some seasons now and it's not too old outside of Kobe, Boozer and Nash.

With the right head coach, it wouldn't be a stretch to say we could be at least as good as the 2013-14 Dallas Mavericks, who also didn't have many superstars but had a solid roster with different players contributing every night when Dirk and Monta weren't on their A-game.

Of course I don't like the fact that our success rides on Kobe's health, but if his achilles is fine he should be where he was in 2012 health-wise. He also struggled with knee problems that season and had some nagging injuries to his shoulder and his legs, but he could at least play through the pain and look his like Kobe on most nights, which is what I'm banking on right now.

All in all, this off-season wasn't too bad and as a Laker fan, I'm excited for the season

Default Re: All things considered, this team is not so bad...

The 10th or 11th seed is as bad as it gets bro

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Won't make playoffs for sure.

Bunch of debbie downers

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    I don't know why but....

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

They have signed really cheap, but Lakers have been the biggest loosers so far this summer. An interesting debate would be if Lakers could make the playoffs in the east. And I would doubt it. Even with a healthy Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by JonatanRey
    They have signed really cheap, but Lakers have been the biggest loosers so far this summer. An interesting debate would be if Lakers could make the playoffs in the east. And I would doubt it. Even with a healthy Kobe.

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

No such thing as a healthy Kobe from here on out.

NBA All-star

I feel like I'm looking at the lottery board of next year's draft.

When the Lakers blow and draft Karl Towns Jr next year, they'll be stupid good in 2-3 seasons.

Karl Towns and Randle? Perfect compliment to each other

Actually Rockets are.

Da Mavs

Unlikely that they win more than 30-35. Leaves them in mediocrity and no 1st round pick.

Banned

With Kobe, Lakers are always a title contender.

Lin is the perfect PG next to Mamba. We will prove the haters wrong

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    When the Lakers blow and draft Karl Towns Jr next year, they'll be stupid good in 2-3 seasons.

Karl Towns and Randle? Perfect compliment to each other
    Lakers won't keep their pick unless they finish with the top 5 worst record in the league, they couldn't even get a top 5 pick with Kobe out, Pau constantly injured and MDA as head coach with Kendall Marshall & Robert Sacre starting

We do have the Rockets pick, but it will be 20+ so whatever

Dallas made the POs with Dirk as their best player and Samuel Dalembert as their starting C. They had a much worse front court and Kobe-Lin >> Monta-Dirk, of course RC is a better coach than what we'll get, but this team has enough depth to compete for a 5-8 seed with Kobe healthy, no doubt.

The off-season was a let down in terms of Lakers retooling and becoming a contender again, but don't sleep on this roster. One could argue it's better than the 2011-12 Lakers if Kobe's healthy. The front court of Randle, Hill, Davis & Boozer is a lot deeper than just Gasol-Bynum and has the potential to be more produtive, depending on Randle's development, of course.

Sad that this should have been our real big 3 if Stern didn't **** it up for us