Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How good is Brad Stevens?

The celtics are just one win from 7th place

I expected them to be better than most people, but not after they traded Rondo, green, jameer and Thornton. And subsequently letting go of Prince, Wright, rivers, nate Robinson and all the filler they got from the trades.

Now IT is injured (sully has been out for the season as well) , but they still keep winning.

Stevens

Default Re: How good is Brad Stevens?

7th place isnt impressive to be honest. Seems like a good coach, but with those kind of rosters and all the tanking going on it's hard to tell if he is under or over achieving.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    7th place isnt impressive to be honest. Seems like a good coach, but with those kind of rosters and all the tanking going on it's hard to tell if he is under or over achieving.
    If ya watch the games it's easier to see he's got these players going all out.

Quote Originally Posted by salwan
    The celtics are just one win from 7th place

I expected them to be better than most people, but not after they traded Rondo, green, jameer and Thornton. And subsequently letting go of Prince, Wright, rivers, nate Robinson and all the filler they got from the trades.

Now IT is injured (sully has been out for the season as well) , but they still keep winning.

Stevens
    They definitely are fun to watch. Never seen a such a squad where the level of talent is completely uniform. The bench plays as well as the starters. Nobody stands out as their "best" player.

Stevens has them playing real tight together. He makes sure everyone gets time out there to do their thing. Nobody seems to be rotting on the bench.

I am happy to watch this team which has no star and no huge egos.

Quote Originally Posted by Hittin_Shots
    If ya watch the games it's easier to see he's got these players going all out.
    Not gonna argue with that.

I remember Bill Simmons overreacting to the Celtics losing a few close games last year and proclaiming the team shouldn't tank. Was hilarious.

[COLOR="White"]I hate that guy with a passion. [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando
    They definitely are fun to watch. Never seen a such a squad where the level of talent is completely uniform. The bench plays as well as the starters. Nobody stands out as their "best" player.

Stevens has them playing real tight together. He makes sure everyone gets time out there to do their thing. Nobody seems to be rotting on the bench.

I am happy to watch this team which has no star and no huge egos.
    Yea it's not reliant on any player, different players going off randomly. Never know what to expect from game to game and no lead is safe. I'm sitting there and we 20 points up like ok so how soon is it gonna be back to a point. Entertaining and furiating lol

tanking backfired, but they do got all those picks from other teams to not really worry about their own draft standings

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Good enough that I hope he stays in the NBA. Would hate to see him back in college, now with the NBA pedigree behind him.

Yea it's not reliant on any player, different players going off randomly. Never know what to expect from game to game and no lead is safe. I'm sitting there and we 20 points up like ok so how soon is it gonna be back to a point. Entertaining and furiating lol
    You're probably talking about the Warriors game

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    You're probably talking about the Warriors game
    Have had similar leads lost like 10 times this season.

I think he's really good. He gets more out of his offense than he should be getting, and his guys are playing hard on defense. I feel like he's finally been able to establish the teams identity after the Rondo trade.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I think he's really good. He gets more out of his offense than he should be getting, and his guys are playing hard on defense. I feel like he's finally been able to establish the teams identity after the Rondo trade.
    I hate to say it but you are right. Getting rid of Rondo was the key. No big egos on the team now. They just ball.

Evan Turner is a great guy to have, by the way. He can play SF and run the point at the same time. Can create his own shot too. This allows the guards play more freely.

Have had similar leads lost like 10 times this season.
    yea. I swear we lost a big lead like in every other game in the earlier parts of the season. was frustrating as hell. part of it was rondo being absolutely horrible in closing out games.

seems like the guys are learning and are able to close out close games much better.

Quote Originally Posted by salwan
    yea. I swear we lost a big lead like in every other game in the earlier parts of the season. was frustrating as hell. part of it was rondo being absolutely horrible in closing out games.

seems like the guys are learning and are able to close out close games much better.
    The big leads still go fast but we seem far better in the clutch compared to early on. But so many clutch threes from all different players not just one guy every game. Rondo would dribble it out and end up with a Good shot for someone or have to bail out himself which wasn't a good percentage move. Balls moving well getting everyone involved and I know my ffeeling when playing if a guys getting touches he'll give more effort in the 1 %ers.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    this.

he definitely seems like one of the more progressive minds among coaches in the nba when it comes to offense. he's not afraid to try some modern stuff. in the beginning of the season they played at a super fast pace bombing 3s at very high rates, but it wasn't working that much due to poor shooting on the team and brutal defense. they cut down the 3s, but they are still 6th in APG and 5th in possesions per game (they are 21st in offensive officiency). his play calling at the end of games and out of inbound plays is very good. the addition of IT, who can create his own shot - which was very much neeed - helped as well.

on defense he has "dat butler mentality" going. everybody is digging in and trying hard. they are 14th in def. efficiency without a proper rim protector and good defensive bigs in the squad. bradley, crowder and smart are like hounds tho.
    Last edited by salwan; 03-15-2015 at 06:11 AM.