Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Was Bird the worst defender to ever be on the All NBA Defensive team?

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Larry Hughes 2005 selection was the first to come to mind. Just awful.
    I think we have a winner!

Default Re: Was Bird the worst defender to ever be on the All NBA Defensive team?

Kobe.

Banned

Payton was really not that great in 02, neither was Kobe in 12. Not sure why CP3 has ever made one of the teams.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Magic was worse
    How is this relevant?

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    How is this relevant?

deflects attention from the points made about Bird

Bird was the last undisputed, no asterix great white player, so it's like pulling teeth to get some people to mention any of his shortcomings .

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pudman13
    Like most intensely focused, hustling players, yes.

to reiterate

pre MJ it was RARE for any superstar player(non center) to be viewed as a great or even good defensive player

I mentioned Clyde Frazier and someone else mentioned Hondo......as exceptions

Rick Barry was a precursor to the crowded field of UNGUARDABLE small forwards of the 1980s who really didn't play defense.

Not the kind of defense that gets rewarded with all nba defensive selection

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    How is this relevant?

It's not hard to understand. The question asks was Bird the worst defender to ever be on the All Defensive Team ...

I then brought up Magic being a significantly worse defender. Magic also being Bird's main competitive contemporary.

He gambled for steals in the passing lanes but he couldn't defense his position. Sleepy Floyd dropped 50 on him in a playoff game.

Sleepy Floyd.

Bird was a better rebounder, better defender on ball at his position and could guard either forward spot well. Especially when he was limber before his back injury.