Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Michael Jordan and other players admit Zones are harder to score

I think you guys are misinterpreting his statement. He didn't say it would be harder to score, what he said is that it would hinder the marquee players. How? Because in theory, a team could just totally take a player out of the game by shadowing him with two guys and essentially play 4 on 3. But the down side is that you'd more than likely end up losing the game because youd alway have an open man. And contrary to the prevailing theme on insidehoops, ALL NBA PLAYERS CAN SCORE.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I think you guys are misinterpreting his statement. He didn't say it would be harder to score, what he said is that it would hinder the marquee players. How? Because in theory, a team could just totally take a player out of the game by shadowing him with two guys and essentially play 4 on 3. But the down side is that you'd more than likely end up losing the game because youd alway have an open man. And contrary to the prevailing theme on insidehoops, ALL NBA PLAYERS CAN SCORE.
    Yeah it stops the superstars

Quote Originally Posted by rlsmooth775
    Yeah it stops the superstars
    It does? Like who. Wasn't there an offensive explosion when the zone was implemented l?

Banned

It does? Like who. Wasn't there an offensive explosion when the zone was implemented l?
    Watch the video

Watch the video
    I did. Now im asking you. Who has the zone stopped? Truth be told, most teams dont really like to play zone because of its draw backs. Bad rebounding postions, and the opportunity for wide open shots. Zones are often used to hide bad defenders.

Banned

I did. Now im asking you. Who has the zone stopped? Truth be told, most teams dont really like to play zone because of its draw backs. Bad rebounding postions, and the opportunity for wide open shots. Zones are often used to hide bad defenders.
    Well if you watched the video you will know

Well if you watched the video you will know
    Lol. I watched the video. It shows Kobe, Lebron, and Kevin at the end. Are you saying the zone has stopped their abilities?

Lol. I watched the video. It shows Kobe, Lebron, and Kevin at the end. Are you saying the zone has stopped their abilities?
    It allegedly 'stopped' T-mac but these are just quote mines and there's some extremely important context, and other-side-of-the-spectrum quotes/examples missing.

Pete Maravich for example, averaged 44ppg against zones. Without a damn 3 point line.

There's obviously holes in this video makers agenda. Zone is not an end all be all superstar stopper or w/e he's trying to make it be. It's just a different type of defense. It makes certain ways of scoring more difficult... makes other ways of scoring EASIER. Oscar Robertson has summed it up best. You get easier 3 point shots and layups against a zone. Any superstar can make this adjustment. Heck, any professional player can make that adjustment, and they all did when the NBA adopted the zone.

I do wish they'd get rid of it too though. Zone covers up a lot of shitty individual defensive talent. I want to see these guys play one on one more. If you can't play your guy, you're gonna get toasted period. That's what I want to see. Just my opinion.

Cool Re: Michael Jordan and other players admit Zones are harder to score

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    It allegedly 'stopped' T-mac but these are just quote mines and there's some extremely important context, and other-side-of-the-spectrum quotes/examples missing.

Pete Maravich for example, averaged 44ppg against zones. Without a damn 3 point line.

There's obviously holes in this video makers agenda. Zone is not an end all be all superstar stopper or w/e he's trying to make it be. It's just a different type of defense. It makes certain ways of scoring more difficult... makes other ways of scoring EASIER. Oscar Robertson has summed it up best. You get easier 3 point shots and layups against a zone. Any superstar can make this adjustment. Heck, any professional player can make that adjustment, and they all did when the NBA adopted the zone.

I do wish they'd get rid of it too though. Zone covers up a lot of shitty individual defensive talent. I want to see these guys play one on one more. If you can't play your guy, you're gonna get toasted period. That's what I want to see. Just my opinion.
    I couldnt agree more.

Damn. That basically seals the fact the MJ played ina weak ass defensive era. Not only that, but he begged the league to not make it harder . Jordan apologists are scrambling for excuses.

Hey, zone defense took out Steph Curry when he was at Davidson. Team played a triangle two and Curry just parked at half court, giving his team a 4-3 advantage

National High School Star

wheres 3ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Kvnzhangyay
    wheres 3ball?
    scrambling for some gifs of tough shots

I'm getting ready for my Chrome breaking when he gets in here

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth

He had 28 points on .393 shooting that night.

But...

Two nights later, on 12/29/2001, at nearly 39-years-old, MJ would drop 51 on that same Hornets team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5sJ6qd6aCM

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth

oh shit rest in piss 3ball

if LBJ pleaded with the NBA committee to change the rules to make the game favorable for marquee players, everyone on here would lose their shit.