Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tim Duncan has more 50 win season than 26 NBA teams

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Sheik
    because it doesn't fit the narrative. name any other superstar who can become a role player, have their team still win championships, and still get a bunch of the credit. it's hilarious that people act like the spurs have had shitty or below average teams outside of duncan the past decade just because they aren't loaded with superstars. they've never been built that way.
    First of all, nobody acts like that. The 05-14 Spurs have been stacked. Show me one article or even serious post that says the shit you just made up. Duncan proved in 03 he can win with less help than most.

But Duncan isn't a role player. Maybe in the 'PPG means everything' world, but not in terms of overall impact. The dude is playing DPOY defense at 38 years old and he has the 4th best RPM in the entire NBA. And he lead the Spurs in every advanced stat last Playoffs, something a 'superstar' like Kobe has done once on five championship teams.

Also, Kareem won 2 rings as a 'role player' (using your criteria). So did Shaq.

I'd like to see you address that last point, because people give Kareem and Shaq full credit for those rings as far as I'm aware.

Decent playground baller They Won's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buddha
    funny how rarely the stacked argument is brought up with Duncan.
    That is because he gets good players next to him, not superstars. The only superstar Duncan played with was Robinson, but he wasn't actually a superstar anymore once Duncan came into his own. LeBron has had guys like Wade, Bosh, Kyrie, and Love. Shaq had Kobe and Wade. Kobe had Shaq and Dwight. Each one of those teammates of those guys had tons of praise on their own. Parker and Manu get praise, but I don't think many believe they would have been as big of names on their own if they weren't teammates of Duncan's.

We already have a large thread on this matter

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=330880

mods do your thing

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    We already have a large thread on this matter

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=330880

mods do your thing
    Their thing would be to let it keep going since that thread has been dead for about 9 months and this one is active.

Quote Originally Posted by They Won
    Their thing would be to let it keep going since that thread has been dead for about 9 months and this one is active.

Just post in the thread we already have for this topic.. this one won't be active long anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

Just post in the thread we already have for this topic.. this one won't be active long anyway.
    Why does it bother you so much that this one exists?

NBA All-star

Someone once said "for someone who understands one end of the floor and arent able to execute on the other end is just someone who is lazy with excuses".

Can a team who focus enough on financial success, not generate a string of multiple winning seasons?

I suppose that tweets about just as much as one needs to know about the catering business

Quote Originally Posted by They Won
    Why does it bother you so much that this one exists?
    OCD? Lol dunno.. maybe because it bugs me since this could easily be avoided.

Just for reference, here is Kareem's final championship run:

14/5.5/1.5/0.5/1.5/.504 TS%, 13.8 PER, .054 WS/48

Faced a 31 win team, 47 win team, 53 win team, and the 54 win Pistons.

In that Finals series he averaged 13/4/1/.5/1 on 41% shooting.

He was 5th in team PER, 7th in team Win Shares, and 10th in team WS/48, and he played alongside Magic Johnson (top 5 ever), Worthy, Cooper, Scott, A.C.

Duncan was literally twice as good as that version of Kareem, and was at worst the second best player on his team.

Not airballing my layups anymore

because it doesn't fit the narrative. name any other superstar who can become a role player, have their team still win championships, and still get a bunch of the credit. it's hilarious that people act like the spurs have had shitty or below average teams outside of duncan the past decade just because they aren't loaded with superstars. they've never been built that way.

Without Duncan last year the Spurs don't sniff the Finals. Or the year before.

He's their defensive anchor and statistically has a great argument for Defensive Player of the Year (even though he won't win it).

Duncan was always the best player on his team and could've won the 2013 Finals MVP at the age of 37 (!) and it would have been well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdu

He's their defensive anchor and statistically has a great argument for Defensive Player of the Year (even though he won't win it).

Duncan was always the best player on his team and could've won the 2013 Finals MVP at the age of 37 (!) and it would have been well deserved.
    Yeah, noboby is confusing late 30s Duncan with prime Shaq. The closest comparison he should be drawing as far as impact is Piston's Ben Wallace. Wallace was better at that time on defense of course, but Duncan's balance of offense and defense makes them about the same impact on well rounded teams with both of them worthy of a good chunk of credit. And if old Duncan is doing that, then how could you not appreciate it?

why are you comparing a player to teams?

Dunking on everybody in the park The Iron Sheik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdu

stop it. duncan wasn't anchoring shit in the 28mpg he's been playing the last couple of years. this isn't 2002. he can't guard pick and rolls anymore which is why he doesn't even try anymore (just gives up the open shot and doesn't attempt to hedge)

no one on the spurs has played more than 30mpg in like the last 4 or so years aside from tony parker. since like 2007 or 2008 they've been a "get it done by committee" type team. i mean come on, everyone agrees he's not the player he once was yet his teams continue to win. why is that? any other player would be said to be "carried" yet duncan somehow gets all of the credit for his coach, his teammates and his front office.

stop it. duncan wasn't anchoring shit in the 28mpg he's been playing the last couple of years. this isn't 2002. he can't guard pick and rolls anymore which is why he doesn't even try anymore (just gives up the open shot and doesn't attempt to hedge)

no one on the spurs has played more than 30mpg in like the last 4 or so years aside from tony parker. since like 2007 or 2008 they've been a "get it done by committee" type team. i mean come on, everyone agrees he's not the player he once was yet his teams continue to win. why is that? any other player would be said to be "carried" yet duncan somehow gets all of the credit for his coach, his teammates and his front office.
    You don't think that Duncan has been anchoring the defense with Leonard and Splitter sitting on the bench for significant number of games this season - yet the Spurs are 5th in opponent pts/game and 3rd in Def Rtg? Duncan has played the 2nd most minutes (behind Green) this season. He is 2nd in Defensive Rating, 4th in Defensive Win Shares and 1st in Defensive Box Plus/Minus in the league yet according to you, he's anchoring nothing.

It's amazing to me how posters can carry over the way the Spurs have played the past 2 years to cover every year since 2007. They have not been playing "by committee" since 2007. People like you would discredit everything Duncan's done since he won his last FMVP. To people who watch the Spurs regularly, it is obvious that Duncan has been the most important Spur every year except for a poor 2011.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Give it up Kobe stans. Duncan > > > Kobe.