Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #1
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Lakers vs. Cavs - Summer League Semis

Sexton just tied the game on a three with 26 seconds left. He has 22. Josh Hart then missed a three on the other end.

Cavs with a chance to win. Sexton is also defending Hart on the other end. Really, really nice performance by him today. I don't know what his boxscore looks like, but he is willing this team right now against more seasoned Summer League vets.

I love Sexton's competitiveness and upside. If he ever gets a consistent three-point shot, look out.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Lakers vs. Cavs - Summer League Semis

They just showed the replay of Sexton defending on Hart on their last possession he was screaming at Hart to take the three as he was dribbling. Hart pulled up and missed.

Love this guy. It may take a couple years to get to where he needs to be to be the best player on a good team, but I'm becoming more and more confident it will eventually happen. He's too savvy, athletic and too much a hard-worker not to pan out, imo.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #3
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

This is why I cringe everytime ISH or any other retard basketball fan tries to talk shit about AAU basketball. No one even knew who Colin Sexton was at the end of his junior year of high school it wasnt until he started playing in Aau tournaments that people and scouts realized that this guy was actually an elite NBA prospect

Reminds me of a kid from my neighborhood who didnt have a single offer his junior year either until he started playing for an AAU team under a former NBA guard. Now hes going to a team that just played in the NCAA final four last season
FreezingTsmoove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Iíve been meaning to ask you if itís a bit of a relief to get a young team with hopeful future stars to root for again. On one hand thereís the:

....aspect of it.

On the other....You get the team to yourself again without the bandwagon support which is always nice. You already got to celebrate a title so there was really nothing else to do but watch them get close maybe a couple more times.

You feel like dumping love as well and straight bottoming out?

You see any value in a 46 win season?
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

This is a legit good game. You have two big-time prospects butting heads in Sexton and Hart. Both guys are having really good games.

The teams are playing extremely hard.

Both guys went 1-2 at the line with a chance to win a the end of the 1st OT.

Fun stuff.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:41 PM   #6
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Iíve been meaning to watch Sexton but never get around to it. Might watch some of this game on lunch tomorrow.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I’ve been meaning to ask you if it’s a bit of a relief to get a young team with hopeful future stars to root for again. On one hand there’s the:

....aspect of it.

On the other....You get the team to yourself again without the bandwagon support which is always nice. You already got to celebrate a title so there was really nothing else to do but watch them get close maybe a couple more times.

You feel like dumping love as well and straight bottoming out?

You see any value in a 46 win season?

For LeBron's legacy in Cleveland, I was disappointed he left and ONLY for that reason. You remember Bird in Celtics Green, Magic in Puple/Gold, MJ in Bulls Red, etc. I wanted that for LeBron in Cleveland considering he is the most iconic athlete of his generation and he has spent 11 years in Cleveland.

With that out of the way, I was 100% ready to move on. It is really not that much fun having LeBron James on your basketball team. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the title in 2016 and it was awesome. The second half of the 2015 and 2016 regular seasons were both fun.

But, the last two regular seasons were straight-up agonizing. It was almost constant discention, upheaval, drama, passive aggressive nonsense and the never-ending rumors about LeBron's departure. As a Cleveland fan, I can tell you we've never had a season with LeBron where we didn't constantly hear about him possibly leaving, starting around 2005 or so.

That wears on you as a fan and I know it has to wear on teammates, coaches, front offices, etc.

Last season was miserable for me. For the first time in a long time, I avoided watching some games because they were so incredibly -- not fun. The playoffs were similar besides the Raptors series.

We were to the point where the grind was just overcoming any joy that should come with having the best player in the world on your team.

Meanwhile, one of my best experiences as a Cavs fan -- strictly from an enjoyment standpoint was 2011-13 after we drafted Kyrie and then got Waiters, Tristan, etc.

Rebuilding with a young team and watching them grow together is underrated if you're a diehard NBA fan and, frankly, being a title contender every year for 4 straight years is a bit overrated, simply from a fan point-of-view. The expectations and weight (especially when you have LeBron) makes it tense when it should be exciting.

If it were up to me, I'd extend KLove. Getting those kinds of free agents haven't happened often in the franchise's history. He is still only 29 and I think having a team where he is the 1st/2nd option and the clear-cut leader could lead to him being a great player once again.

I may be projecting, but I think Love would be fine on a younger team away from the microscope. He got his championship and he has now been to The Finals four straight times. He has been the one guy through this whole thing that never complained, always seemed to put team first and consistently talked about how much he loved playing in Cleveland.

The other thing is this... the Cavs are going to have a massive amount of salary coming off the books in the 1-2 years. They'll have room to sign max players or maybe even several high salary guys by next year if they want it (by trading expiring contracts).

So, we have a nice mix of veterans in Love, Hood, Hill, Korver, Tristan, Frye and young guys with potential in Sexton, Osman Nance and Zizic. Even Jordan Clarkson has some skill if he can just learn to tone it down with the shot-jacking and learn how to play under control.

For the Eastern Conference, that is not a bad team. Throw in all of the cap room we have coming... I actually think as the roster is currently constructed, we are better positioned to try and do a relatively quick rebuild than an extended tank.

Plus, you are never getting the true Kevin Love value if you trade him right now. If we can extend him and he starts averaging 23/13 (very possible), his trade value would increase exponentially if we want to explore that at some point. But, right now, I think I'd prefer him to retire a Cavalier. I just have tons of respect for that guy.

Yeah man... I'm jacked for this season. Should be a lot of fun for the first time in a while.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Iíve been meaning to watch Sexton but never get around to it. Might watch some of this game on lunch tomorrow.
The spacing in Summer League is just awful, as you might expect -- especially with our best SL vets only playing the first two games (Cedi and Zizic). Sexton does not have much room to operate and, without a reliable perimeter jumper, it can look a little ugly at times.

But man... his motor is amazing. Guy is shot out of a cannon. Deadly in transition, great first step, can finish strong, etc. Needs to work on finding the open man, but with the guys he is playing with right now, it doesn't seem to matter... not many of these guys can make an open shot when he does drive-and-kick.

I like his game a lot and think he has two-way potential as well.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
zizozain
15-1

Svi Mykhailiuk
zizozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
Kingwillball
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizozain
Svi Mykhailiuk

Him, hart and Wagner 3 other nice young players that can be part of lakers rotation or used as part of trade package.
Kingwillball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:21 PM   #11
D-Wait
Decent college freshman

Best summer league game I've seen.

Sexton was fearless and made lots of clutch plays.

Cavs should have gotten another chance to tie the game in 2nd OT.

Ball went off a Laker after Sexton's drive.

Dumbass James Posey didn't request a replay.
D-Wait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #12
D-Wait
Decent college freshman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIhEsVS9HyU

Sexton's highlights from tonight
D-Wait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
zizozain
15-1

zizozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ģ 1997

Way too much hype over a Summer League game. It was a good game, but not thread worthy. Knee jerk reactions.

In the end Sexton could've won it for the Cavs, but he didn't. Easy, peasy, missed free throw.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
DukeDelonte13
Very good NBA starter

it was easily the best summer league game i've ever seen.

Sexton is a mixed bag.. on one hand we got a guy who doesn't have a great handle, doesn't have great court vision, isn't a great finisher, and not a good 3 point shooter, but on the other hand he plays with so much intensity and is such a hard worker that he will probably make the most out of himself.

He has elite athleticism and while he isn't the tallest his wingspan and standing reach are fine.

He's gonna have an up and down rookie year but I think in 2-3 seasons this guy could be at allstar or near allstar level. If anything, he's already a very entertaining player to watch.

He's just so raw. Learning how to be a PG is priority number 1 for him.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: