Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Jasper
Bucks Brigade
 
Jasper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,967
Default Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...eing-auctioned

Teammate Jon McKlockin stated once , his ring is the most valued thing he owns.

What would you put a price on chip ring ???

I wonder if Oscar is hard up for cash ???
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 23,637
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

It would be sad if he was being taken advantage of by relatives/friends as an old man who isn't as sharp as he once was but it could well be a situation where his grandkids need money for school or something like that. The players of his day didn't get paid anywhere near what players today do and even modern players sometimes squander it all away.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick
 
kennethgriffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ISH Legend since 2009
Posts: 5,746
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

ring"s" ?
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 19,185
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

The least an nba player gets when he retires is 57 thousand a year if he played at least 3 seasons....but...thatís for players after 1965. Oscar played well after that but I donít know it if counts the guys who came in earlier.

One of the lamest thing that I ever heard was how the NBA only paid George Mikan $300 a month because he didnít play in the pension era.

Guy kept the league afloat and these billionaires let him die in poverty so Shaq had to cover his funeral.

Most of those old guys are already dead. We have owners who have $30 billion. Somebody can man up and put a little fund together for the guys who built the league.

Players today have it made. You know their 401k has a 140% match? Baseball is even better. 200% company match and you only need 43 days on a big league roster to get a pension. One day on? Just one....lifetime medical insurance.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
superduper
EmGOAT
 
superduper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 2,902
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
The least an nba player gets when he retires is 57 thousand a year if he played at least 3 seasons....but...thatís for players after 1965. Oscar played well after that but I donít know it if counts the guys who came in earlier.

One of the lamest thing that I ever heard was how the NBA only paid George Mikan $300 a month because he didnít play in the pension era.

Guy kept the league afloat and these billionaires let him die in poverty so Shaq had to cover his funeral.

Most of those old guys are already dead. We have owners who have $30 billion. Somebody can man up and put a little fund together for the guys who built the league.

Players today have it made. You know their 401k has a 140% match? Baseball is even better. 200% company match and you only need 43 days on a big league roster to get a pension. One day on? Just one....lifetime medical insurance.

Is that true? **** that's sad..
superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Jasper
Bucks Brigade
 
Jasper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,967
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
ring"s" ?
plez read the article
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 19,185
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Yeah the owners were always stingy with the old players. The players organized and got a pension in the 60s but it didn’t cover players who retired before 1965 and then even when it did it didn’t offer full coverage to people who didn’t play a set number of years in the official NBA after some year. Mikan was out in 55 or so.

He got like 300 dollars for a long time then they adjusted it and he got about what a normal retired guy would get on social security but he was so damaged from his time in the league he couldn’t even keep up with his medical bills so for decades he had like3-500 bucks a month to work with after medical. He had bad knees and a bad back and all that came from the beatings he took in the nba.

He sold most of his old memorabilia but couldn’t keep up. His family accepted Shaqs offer and gave him a good funeral like he deserved.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick
 
kennethgriffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ISH Legend since 2009
Posts: 5,746
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
plez read the article


na

always kinda thought big O was the most overrated player ever. his triple double or near TD seasons never really translated into anything. and stats back then were inflated


baylor was the same height as oscar and he averaged 17-20 rebounds a lot of the time... so oscars 10-12 weren't shit really


and westbrook proved anyone can manufacture a triple double average if they're selfish enough


1 ring as the 2nd banana isn't much to speak of


he realistically shouldn't be top 20... how is he better than dirk?

and sure hes a pioneer... but so is george mikan and bob pettit. they're nowhere near the top 10
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
ImKobe
NBA Legend
 
ImKobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Staples Center
Posts: 16,722
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
na

always kinda thought big O was the most overrated player ever. his triple double or near TD seasons never really translated into anything. and stats back then were inflated


baylor was the same height as oscar and he averaged 17-20 rebounds a lot of the time... so oscars 10-12 weren't shit really


and westbrook proved anyone can manufacture a triple double average if they're selfish enough


1 ring as the 2nd banana isn't much to speak of


he realistically shouldn't be top 20... how is he better than dirk?

and sure hes a pioneer... but so is george mikan and bob pettit. they're nowhere near the top 10

Basically the WB of his era.. great at putting up stats but never won shit.. and I love WB but it's true.. his only title is a sidekick to peak Kareem.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Jasper
Bucks Brigade
 
Jasper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,967
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
na

always kinda thought big O was the most overrated player ever. his triple double or near TD seasons never really translated into anything. and stats back then were inflated


baylor was the same height as oscar and he averaged 17-20 rebounds a lot of the time... so oscars 10-12 weren't shit really


and westbrook proved anyone can manufacture a triple double average if they're selfish enough


1 ring as the 2nd banana isn't much to speak of


he realistically shouldn't be top 20... how is he better than dirk?

and sure hes a pioneer... but so is george mikan and bob pettit. they're nowhere near the top 10
can't read an article = your a lame duck , just like your posts.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Jasper
Bucks Brigade
 
Jasper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,967
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Basically the WB of his era.. great at putting up stats but never won shit.. and I love WB but it's true.. his only title is a sidekick to peak Kareem.
back then , the TV didn't cover most of the games.... I watched 1/2 of the home games, and obviously you never seen Oscar play.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated
 
Kblaze8855's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: I love me some me.
Posts: 19,185
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

How Kobe fans of all people disregard all peer opinion and evaluations and call a guy overrated due to numbers is hilarious to me. Arenít you the eye test guys?

Literally every single person who ever saw him consider him elite including people who do not rank guys like Baylor and Pettit that highly.

All you can say is he didnít win titles he shouldnít have won. Yes a couple teams should have been better but to what end? Losing to the celtics.

Oscar wouldnít be better at basketball if the Celtics never existed you know? He and the rest of the 60s just have more rings.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick
 
kennethgriffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ISH Legend since 2009
Posts: 5,746
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
How Kobe fans of all people disregard all peer opinion and evaluations and call a guy overrated due to numbers is hilarious to me. Arenít you the eye test guys?

Literally every single person who ever saw him consider him elite including people who do not rank guys like Baylor and Pettit that highly.

All you can say is he didnít win titles he shouldnít have won. Yes a couple teams should have been better but to what end? Losing to the celtics.

Oscar wouldnít be better at basketball if the Celtics never existed you know? He and the rest of the 60s just have more rings.


the guys who saw oscar love him because hes their childhood idol


and they were kind of racist. none of them ever talk about the other celtics players... all of them are buried aside from bill


most fans today wouldn't even know who tom heinsohn is... even though he realistically could have won a finals mvp or 2
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
HoopologyPhD
Good High School Starter
 
HoopologyPhD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 889
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

He certainly hasn't been going hungry all these years...
HoopologyPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick
 
kennethgriffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ISH Legend since 2009
Posts: 5,746
Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopologyPhD
He certainly hasn't been going hungry all these years...


i think he just knows he's gonna die soon and he wants to go all out. that or he wants to evenly divide his assets for inheritance purposes
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy