Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Default Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...eing-auctioned

Teammate Jon McKlockin stated once , his ring is the most valued thing he owns.

What would you put a price on chip ring ???

I wonder if Oscar is hard up for cash ???
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Default Re: Big O selling his rings ....thoughts

It would be sad if he was being taken advantage of by relatives/friends as an old man who isn't as sharp as he once was but it could well be a situation where his grandkids need money for school or something like that. The players of his day didn't get paid anywhere near what players today do and even modern players sometimes squander it all away.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #3
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick

ring"s" ?
kennethgriffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

The least an nba player gets when he retires is 57 thousand a year if he played at least 3 seasons....but...thatís for players after 1965. Oscar played well after that but I donít know it if counts the guys who came in earlier.

One of the lamest thing that I ever heard was how the NBA only paid George Mikan $300 a month because he didnít play in the pension era.

Guy kept the league afloat and these billionaires let him die in poverty so Shaq had to cover his funeral.

Most of those old guys are already dead. We have owners who have $30 billion. Somebody can man up and put a little fund together for the guys who built the league.

Players today have it made. You know their 401k has a 140% match? Baseball is even better. 200% company match and you only need 43 days on a big league roster to get a pension. One day on? Just one....lifetime medical insurance.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
superduper
EmGOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
The least an nba player gets when he retires is 57 thousand a year if he played at least 3 seasons....but...thatís for players after 1965. Oscar played well after that but I donít know it if counts the guys who came in earlier.

One of the lamest thing that I ever heard was how the NBA only paid George Mikan $300 a month because he didnít play in the pension era.

Guy kept the league afloat and these billionaires let him die in poverty so Shaq had to cover his funeral.

Most of those old guys are already dead. We have owners who have $30 billion. Somebody can man up and put a little fund together for the guys who built the league.

Players today have it made. You know their 401k has a 140% match? Baseball is even better. 200% company match and you only need 43 days on a big league roster to get a pension. One day on? Just one....lifetime medical insurance.

Is that true? **** that's sad..
superduper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
ring"s" ?
plez read the article
Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Yeah the owners were always stingy with the old players. The players organized and got a pension in the 60s but it didn’t cover players who retired before 1965 and then even when it did it didn’t offer full coverage to people who didn’t play a set number of years in the official NBA after some year. Mikan was out in 55 or so.

He got like 300 dollars for a long time then they adjusted it and he got about what a normal retired guy would get on social security but he was so damaged from his time in the league he couldn’t even keep up with his medical bills so for decades he had like3-500 bucks a month to work with after medical. He had bad knees and a bad back and all that came from the beatings he took in the nba.

He sold most of his old memorabilia but couldn’t keep up. His family accepted Shaqs offer and gave him a good funeral like he deserved.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
plez read the article

na

always kinda thought big O was the most overrated player ever. his triple double or near TD seasons never really translated into anything. and stats back then were inflated

baylor was the same height as oscar and he averaged 17-20 rebounds a lot of the time... so oscars 10-12 weren't shit really

and westbrook proved anyone can manufacture a triple double average if they're selfish enough

1 ring as the 2nd banana isn't much to speak of

he realistically shouldn't be top 20... how is he better than dirk?

and sure hes a pioneer... but so is george mikan and bob pettit. they're nowhere near the top 10
Old 07-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
ImKobe
NBA Legend

Quote:
na

always kinda thought big O was the most overrated player ever. his triple double or near TD seasons never really translated into anything. and stats back then were inflated

baylor was the same height as oscar and he averaged 17-20 rebounds a lot of the time... so oscars 10-12 weren't shit really

and westbrook proved anyone can manufacture a triple double average if they're selfish enough

and sure hes a pioneer... but so is george mikan and bob pettit. they're nowhere near the top 10

Basically the WB of his era.. great at putting up stats but never won shit.. and I love WB but it's true.. his only title is a sidekick to peak Kareem.
ImKobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #10
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Quote:
na

can't read an article = your a lame duck , just like your posts.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Basically the WB of his era.. great at putting up stats but never won shit.. and I love WB but it's true.. his only title is a sidekick to peak Kareem.
back then , the TV didn't cover most of the games.... I watched 1/2 of the home games, and obviously you never seen Oscar play.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

How Kobe fans of all people disregard all peer opinion and evaluations and call a guy overrated due to numbers is hilarious to me. Arenít you the eye test guys?

Literally every single person who ever saw him consider him elite including people who do not rank guys like Baylor and Pettit that highly.

All you can say is he didnít win titles he shouldnít have won. Yes a couple teams should have been better but to what end? Losing to the celtics.

Oscar wouldnít be better at basketball if the Celtics never existed you know? He and the rest of the 60s just have more rings.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
How Kobe fans of all people disregard all peer opinion and evaluations and call a guy overrated due to numbers is hilarious to me. Arenít you the eye test guys?

Literally every single person who ever saw him consider him elite including people who do not rank guys like Baylor and Pettit that highly.

All you can say is he didnít win titles he shouldnít have won. Yes a couple teams should have been better but to what end? Losing to the celtics.

Oscar wouldnít be better at basketball if the Celtics never existed you know? He and the rest of the 60s just have more rings.

the guys who saw oscar love him because hes their childhood idol

and they were kind of racist. none of them ever talk about the other celtics players... all of them are buried aside from bill

most fans today wouldn't even know who tom heinsohn is... even though he realistically could have won a finals mvp or 2
Old 07-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
HoopologyPhD
Good High School Starter

He certainly hasn't been going hungry all these years...
HoopologyPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #15
kennethgriffen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopologyPhD
He certainly hasn't been going hungry all these years...

i think he just knows he's gonna die soon and he wants to go all out. that or he wants to evenly divide his assets for inheritance purposes
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: