Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #121
3ball
NBA Legend

Default Re: The Jordan Rules Defense. Can someone show it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman
Go read one of Phil Jackson's six books where he mentioned MJ needed to step back & involve his teammates. If reading is not your thing watch Phil comment on this when appearing on Oprah.
Pippen grew by leaps and bounds next to jordan BEFORE Phil got there.. He increased from 7 ppg in 1988, to 15 ppg in 1989.

So it's been a long-running false narrative that jordan needed to "involve" teammates - the correct narrative is that teammates were already improving drastically, and once they improved sufficiently, the bulls won

Btw, they didn't need to improve much - 538.com did a study on supporting casts, which showed that jordan had the weakest cast ever to win rings (91', 93'), except for Hakeem in 94, and dirk in 11'
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #122
paksat
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball
Pippen grew by leaps and bounds next to jordan BEFORE Phil got there.. He increased from 7 ppg in 1988, to 15 ppg in 1989.

So it's been a long-running false narrative that jordan needed to "involve" teammates - the correct narrative is that teammates were already improving drastically, and once they improved sufficiently, the bulls won

Btw, they didn't need to improve much - 538.com did a study on supporting casts, which showed that jordan had the weakest cast ever to win rings (91', 93'), except for Hakeem in 94, and dirk in 11'

who'd dirk beat?

paksat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #123
LA Lakers
I rule the local playground

Games were high scoring in the ‘80s. Look at Michael Jordan’s scoring numbers per game in his early years, it’s insane. There’s a myth that the ‘80’s was a boring, low scoring decade. Showtime was running teams out of the gym. Celtics and Hawks were putting up 130 on a Wednesday then 140 on Thursday just another night at the office.

Last edited by LA Lakers : 07-16-2018 at 03:54 PM.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #124
LA Lakers
I rule the local playground

According to basketballreference.com which is a highly credible source: Of the top 20 all time single season scoring leaders, only 2 out of the top 20 have lead the league in scoring since Michael Jordan during the 1989-1990 season. Those 2 players are Kobe Bryant 2005-2006 and Kevin Durant 2013-2014. Kevin Durant is the only active player on that list.
LA Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #125
aceman
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ball

Who should I believe Phil Jackson or an internet troll?
How about John Salley who said the Pistons were not afraid because Jordan could be forced towards the double team & wouldn't pass.
The solution to Jordan rules was team basketball.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #126
riseagainst
Laker Nation

Quote:
How about John Salley who said the Pistons were not afraid because Jordan could be forced towards the double team & wouldn't pass.

Completely and utterly destroyed. He's been avoiding this and other FACTS like the plague.

riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #127
Hey Yo
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elosha
So OP, since you were asking for so long, I thought I'd show you a video showing quite a few brutal fouls by the Pistons and others on Jordan. Notice how many times Jordan get literally thrown to the ground by the Pistons and other teams. Now, you've got what you said you wanted in this thread, so you're welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GpIzCDynkE

That's a pretty good sampling of the Jordan Rules. This of course is just illustrative of the type of fouls allowed in his hey day. I remember quite a few games on WGN where Jordan almost got his head taken off, but unfortunately I've never seen them on any video.

Every superstar in every era gets rough treatment compared to the average player, but there's literally no comparison to the type of punishment defenses were allowed to inflict in the 80's and 90's compared to today. Plays that would get players ejected today were two shot fouls then. You can say what you want about whether that's a good thing or bad thing, but there's no doubt the driving lanes today are far less dangerous - and less difficult - then in the past.
I don't care how physical the fouls were.

I've been told numerous of times that the reason MJ attempted only 8FGA in the most important playoff game to date in 1989 (game 5 in the ECF) was the swarming defense aka "Jordan rules defense" that was being played on him. That he had very minimal chances to shoot.

Where are all these incidences in this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUTLRcL2ajw
Hey Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #128
3ball
NBA Legend

Quote:
It's a convenient narrative used for the media and casual fans like yourself because the truth is too nuanced for the media to report or fans to digest

But the facts remain - pippen improved as fast as anyone ever has, so mj couldn't have "involved" him more than he already was

It's simply been a massive false narrative that jordan needed to "involve" teammates - the facts are that teammates were already improving as fast as anyone ever has, and once they improved sufficiently, the bulls won

Btw, they didn't need to improve much - 538.com did a study on supporting casts, which showed that jordan had the weakest cast ever to win rings (91', 93'), except for Hakeem in 94, and dirk in 11'.. 538 did another study showing that mj won the most rings above what the pre-Finals odds predicted (so accounting for competition).. so mj won with the weakest casts AND beat the odds by the most
3ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:00 AM   #129
72-10
greatest athlete?

The polite form is please.
72-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:04 AM   #130
72-10
greatest athlete?

could I please
Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 AM   #131
72-10
greatest athlete?

Your dinner is served.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:09 AM   #132
72-10
greatest athlete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongLurk
Pistons definitely roughed up MJ but it isn't anything more than what Kobe or Lebron go through.

Honestly, the 80's defense as a whole is actually pretty soft and slow compared to now.

The only difference is how they call technicals/flagrants (which didn't even exist back then). When it comes to regular game play the foul calls are no different.

I bolded the UNTRUE parts of your rhetoric.

They looked pretty slow at rotating sometimes, but that's because Michael was so fast.

Last edited by 72-10 : 07-22-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 AM   #133
72-10
greatest athlete?

This is how his game looked when he scored 25. Maybe someone should post how his game looked when he scored 35, like for instance a 10 minute highlight reel.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #134
OldSchoolBBall
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
I would love for someone to show me any play this entire postseason where Lebron had to maneuver around as many defenders and make as many moves to get to the basket as Jordan did here (they show a replay afterwards too): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVUXJ8Q7ehY&t=86s

LOL @ these Lebron stans still arguing in this thread when it has been absolute CRICKETS in response to my above request, which was made about 4 different time and no one was able to post a single clip. There's a reason for that.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:30 AM   #135
OldSchoolBBall
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Lakers
Games were high scoring in the Ď80s. Look at Michael Jordanís scoring numbers per game in his early years, itís insane. Thereís a myth that the Ď80ís was a boring, low scoring decade. Showtime was running teams out of the gym. Celtics and Hawks were putting up 130 on a Wednesday then 140 on Thursday just another night at the office.

Bulls were playing at a 90-95 pace during Jordan's early years and prime, which would put them at the bottom of the league this past season. Jordan also never had the ball in his hands on as many possessions or for as much clock time as stars today like Lebron, Harden, and Westbrook do.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: