Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: is Curry on pace to become the GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035
    Jordan would be mediocre in today's "spaced-out, 3 point friendly league". He'd be lucky to drop 20ppg, the game has evolved beyond his limited skill set.
    Wade and Westbrook led league in scoring in 2009 and 2015 with a worse 3-point shot and far worse mid-range shot than MJ.. Nor could they double-pump with ease from the FT line like MJ..

I guess that's why MJ was able to average 37 PPG on 59% TS despite shooting all 2-pointers amidst every-possession double-teams.
    Last edited by 3ball; 11-02-2015 at 07:32 PM.

btw, i'm just kidding.. i'm not GIF REACTION

And this thesis exemplifies how sample sizes can serve to skew the bigger picture. If I did a cursory search to crop out the first-few games of a season for one with a strong seasonal start, I can already assume that the distinction wouldn't remain; but when I do a totalizing search for those who have played at least 50 games in a season, I'm seeing a much more exclusive company.

How will Curry's season protract when he plays a sizable amount of games?

First, there are foreknowable inevitabilities that'll skew his PER downward: reserved minutes due to early-blowout games, individual and teamwork-oriented defenses to stymie him, and irresolvable off-nights (the analogous law of gravity; what goes up (confidence) must go down (due to overconfidence) are the most obvious.

Less obvious but not much less impactful is the fact that Steve Kerr will likely enforce more ball movement once he's back at the helm, which will apportion less of his usage rating

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Wade and Westbrook led league in scoring in 2009 and 2015 with a worse 3-point shot and far worse mid-range shot than MJ.. Nor could they double-pump with ease from the FT line like MJ..

I guess that's why MJ was able to average 37 PPG on 59% TS despite shooting all 2-pointers amidst every-possession double-teams.
    Dude, he's obviously trolling you and you're taking the bait. Nobody believes Jordan wouldn't be great if he played today. There's no need to continually try to justify his greatness, and if anything it just encourages more trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    Dude, he's obviously trolling you and you're taking the bait. Nobody believes Jordan wouldn't be great if he played today. There's no need to continually try to justify his greatness, and if anything it just encourages more trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035

Jordan would be mediocre in today's "spaced-out, 3 point friendly league". He'd be lucky to drop 20ppg, the game has evolved beyond his limited skill set.
    Also, take a look at the per 100 stats of everyone in the playoffs - notice how MJ's efficiency is equal despite much higher shot volume - he's doing what everyone else is doing, but just more OF it - so imagine if everyone else did more of what they were already doing - that's MJ:

JORDAN:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 43.3 pts.. 2.2 oreb.. 6.1 dreb.. 7.4 ast.. 4.0 tov.. 2.7 stl.. 1.1 blk.. [COLOR="DarkRed"]32.5 fga.. 118 ORtg.. 56.8 ts[/COLOR]
    LEBRON:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 36.5 pts.. 2.0 oreb.. 9.3 dreb.. 8.6 ast.. 4.5 tov.. 2.2 stl.. 1.2 blk.. 26.8 fga.. 114 ORtg.. 56.5 ts
    DURANT:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 35.8 pts.. 1.2 oreb.. 9.1 dreb.. 4.8 ast.. 4.1 tov.. 1.4 stl.. 1.5 blk.. 25.8 fga.. 114 ORtg.. 58.3 ts
    KOBE:[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR] 34.7 pts.. 1.4 oreb.. 5.5 dreb.. 6.4 ast.. 4.0 tov.. 1.9 stl.. 0.9 blk.. 27.7 fga.. 110 ORtg.. 54.1 ts
    WADE:[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR] 32.2 pts.. 2.0 oreb.. 5.4 dreb.. 7.1 ast.. 4.8 tov.. 2.3 stl.. 1.4 blk.. 24.5 fga.. 108 ORtg.. 55.4 ts

We all know how high volume can help dictate pace of the game... But that isn't enough to win... High volume AND high efficiency is what devastates teams.. Of course, achieving high efficiency at high volume [COLOR="Navy"]while winning a championship[/COLOR] requires the most skill - the player must achieve the high volume at high efficiency within a team concept, without diminishing the stats of teammates.

The only players reach the holy grail of basketball skill by shooting high volume at high efficiency while winning a championship (25+ FGA on 45%+ during the playoffs) were MJ (1992, 1993, 1997, and 1998) and Hakeem (1995).. It's crazy - sometimes we forget how skilled Hakeem eventually became.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Also, take a look at the per 100 stats of everyone in the playoffs - notice how MJ's efficiency is equal despite much higher shot volume - he's doing what everyone else is doing, but just more OF it - so imagine if everyone else did more of what they were already doing - that's MJ:

JORDAN:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 43.3 pts.. 2.2 oreb.. 6.1 dreb.. 7.4 ast.. 4.0 tov.. 2.7 stl.. 1.1 blk.. [COLOR="DarkRed"]32.5 fga.. 118 ORtg.. 56.8 ts[/COLOR]
    LEBRON:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 36.5 pts.. 2.0 oreb.. 9.3 dreb.. 8.6 ast.. 4.5 tov.. 2.2 stl.. 1.2 blk.. 26.8 fga.. 114 ORtg.. 56.5 ts
    DURANT:[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR] 35.8 pts.. 1.2 oreb.. 9.1 dreb.. 4.8 ast.. 4.1 tov.. 1.4 stl.. 1.5 blk.. 25.8 fga.. 114 ORtg.. 58.3 ts
    KOBE:[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR] 34.7 pts.. 1.4 oreb.. 5.5 dreb.. 6.4 ast.. 4.0 tov.. 1.9 stl.. 0.9 blk.. 27.7 fga.. 110 ORtg.. 54.1 ts
    WADE:[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR] 32.2 pts.. 2.0 oreb.. 5.4 dreb.. 7.1 ast.. 4.8 tov.. 2.3 stl.. 1.4 blk.. 24.5 fga.. 108 ORtg.. 55.4 ts

We all know how high volume can help dictate pace of the game... But that isn't enough to win... High volume AND high efficiency is what devastates teams.. Of course, achieving high efficiency at high volume [COLOR="Navy"]while winning a championship[/COLOR] requires the most skill - the player must achieve the high volume at high efficiency within a team concept, without diminishing the stats of teammates.

The only players reach the holy grail of basketball skill by shooting high volume at high efficiency while winning a championship (25+ FGA on 45%+ during the playoffs) were MJ (1992, 1993, 1997, and 1998) and Hakeem (1995).. It's crazy - sometimes we forget how skilled Hakeem eventually became.

Dude you just can't let anyone else be great.

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    I have talked to someone who thought Jordan was great for his day, but wouldn't be today. He was about 21 and a Lebron fan.

Local High School Star Monta Ellis MVP's Avatar

Curry is the New Age GOAT

Banned

3ball PM me, I found a great way to troll Curry while seeming genuine (Like how you do with LeBron) PM me trust me this is good stuff.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Clearly