Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Default Wade or Iverson?

Regular season
    Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Wade or Iverson?

Such a tough call. I give Iverson bonus points for dominating at his size of 6'0 165 pounds slashing to the rim on prime Shaq, Mutombo, Ben Wallace, Duncan and guys like that. I'd say Wade is the better all around player but Iverson the much better scorer. Wade has a significant advantage over Iverson on defense being 6'4 220.

If I have to take one in their prime it purely depends on what my team needs. If I have a poor or average surrounding cast easily Iverson. If I need a guy who will share with another star player it's Wade.

Wade by a country mile. Wade is a far better all around player than Iverson and much more efficient. I don't really buy the argument that Iverson was a much better scorer than Wade. I think that Wade is a much more willing passer than Iverson and could have averaged similar points if he increased his shots. Wade is on a different level.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

If you're talking about scoring, then AI. However, D-Wade is the closes we've seen to MJ in terms of slashing/defense.

Banned

Iverson is a great scorer, better scorer than Wade.

If Iverson wasn't such a douche bag and wanted to play a scoring role on my team I'd pick him. But since Wade is very very good and isn't such a douche, then I choose him.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Wade by a country mile. Wade is a far better all around player than Iverson and much more efficient. I don't really buy the argument that Iverson was a much better scorer than Wade. I think that Wade is a much more willing passer than Iverson and could have averaged similar points if he increased his shots. Wade is on a different level.
    If you don't understand how or why Iverson was a better scorer than Wade than you are definitely a new basketball fan. Iverson is easily one of the best scorers of all time and that was as a 6'0 165 pound slashing guard with a streaky shot. Iverson is leaps ahead of Wade when it comes to scoring. Wade is more efficient but Iverson was by far the more explosive, consistent and dependable scorer. These 10 point games Wade has occasionally almost never happened with Iverson in his prime.

Wade is a better defender... and rebounder and that has a lot to do with his size and strength. Iverson was a better off the ball defender and better at playing passing lanes. Both equal passers/playmakers but Iverson never played next to an elite talent like just out of prime Shaq or Lebron.
    Last edited by Clippersfan86; 05-15-2011 at 12:41 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Wade's the better player, but iverson was such an amazing scorer for his size. He used to be one of my favorite players.

Best all around season from both of them...

Iverson:

30.7 ppg, 4 rpg, 8 apg, 2.5 spg. All this while being 6'0 165 and playing in a league with MUCH better competition.

Wade:

30 ppg, 5 rpg, 7.5 apg, 2 spg, 1.5 bpg.

Wade has a slight edge.. but in a weaker league with all the great shotblockers outside of Dwight gone... and with his size advantage I'd say these two players are a wash. As to who I take as I said has to do with the make up of the team.

Iverson was a "volume" scorer.. who was inefficient and the hijacker of his team type.

Wade is a "pure" scorer.. There is a big difference between pure scorers and volume scorers. The pure ones work better within the team concept, involving everyone.

Iverson just used finesse. Meanwhile, Wade has that finesse, but also Wade has a tremendous amount of power. He can go through you, around you, or over you.. Just look how many times he plows and goes right through 7-footers at the rim.

So Wade can beat you in more ways. Which is why he's in the Top 5 Alltime for most drawn fouls ever on a per game basis. Right there with wilt chamberlain and Shaq in the Top 5 alltime. Because Wade is so hard to stop you have to foul him.

Moreover, Wade is just much better all around as a player. He's the closest to Michael Jordan we have ever seen from the guard positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    If you don't understand how or why Iverson was a better scorer than Wade than you are definitely a new basketball fan. Iverson is easily one of the best scorers of all time and that was as a 6'0 165 pound slashing guard with a streaky shot. Iverson is leaps ahead of Wade when it comes to scoring. Wade is more efficient but Iverson was by far the more explosive, consistent and dependable scorer. These 10 point games Wade has occasionally almost never happened with Iverson in his prime.

Wade is a better defender... and rebounder and that has a lot to do with his size and strength. Iverson was a better off the ball defender and better at playing passing lanes. Both equal passers/playmakers but Iverson never played next to an elite talent like just out of prime Shaq or Lebron.
    I'm not going to penalize Wade for being larger and stronger than Iverson. To do so would be ridiculous. I understand perfectly Iverson's greatness as a scorer, but as great as he was I think Wade is on the same kind of level, despite the difference in scoring totals. Wade is a much more willing passer than Iverson ever was and this reflects his scoring totals. To put up over 30 points per game in a season and shoot 49% is astonishing and something I don't think Iverson could have ever done. Wade's size allows him to do more than Iverson could ever do. Iverson was never equal to Wade as a passer/playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Best all around season from both of them...

Iverson:

30.7 ppg, 4 rpg, 8 apg, 2.5 spg. All this while being 6'0 165 and playing in a league with MUCH better competition.

Wade:

30 ppg, 5 rpg, 7.5 apg, 2 spg, 1.5 bpg.

Wade has a slight edge.. but in a weaker league with all the great shotblockers outside of Dwight gone... and with his size advantage I'd say these two players are a wash. As to who I take as I said has to do with the make up of the team.
    You can't give Iverson more credit because he is smaller. That's just ridiculous.

3-time NBA All-Star

AI is my second favorite player ever, but this is easily Wade. There really isn't much of a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    You can't give Iverson more credit because he is smaller. That's just ridiculous.
    Well even so I can definitely dock Wade some points for playing in a league where refs send you to the line for every touch foul. You need to educate yourself. Iverson got MURDERED on a regular basis and even then didn't always get fouls. If he played in this pus*y D Whistle era where a bump was a foul dude would of averaged 40 ppg. What I also will hold against Wade is... he doesn't have to deal with top defending Centers of all time like prime Shaq, Mutombo, Ratliff, Ben Wallace etc. Unless it's Dwight Howard or MAYBE Bogut.. nobody nowadays has an interior presence like these players did defensively.

So tougher reffing and more difficult competition= Iverson>>>Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by Heat007
    Iverson was a "volume" scorer.. who was inefficient and the hijacker of his team type.

Wade is a "pure" scorer.. There is a big difference between pure scorers and volume scorers. The pure ones work better within the team concept, involving everyone.

Iverson just used finesse. Meanwhile, Wade has that finesse, but also Wade has a tremendous amount of power. He can go through you, around you, or over you.. Just look how many times he plows and goes right through 7-footers at the rim.

So Wade can beat you in more ways. Which is why he's in the Top 5 Alltime for most drawn fouls ever on a per game basis. Right there with wilt chamberlain and Shaq in the Top 5 alltime. Because Wade is so hard to stop you have to foul him.

Moreover, Wade is just much better all around as a player. He's the closest to Michael Jordan we have ever seen from the guard positions.
    I agree with a lot of this. I'd much rather have a player such as Wade who combines speed/power as opposed to Iverson whose game was based on speed, allusiveness, and finesse. Wade's game is much more in the framework of the team and this impresses me more than Iverson's volume scoring.

AI was a system player. He was also the better scorer.

Wade's game is much more versatile so he can be successful in more situations and contribute in more ways.

I'll go with Wade.