Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: True height of NBA players

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool
    Steve Kerr is listed at 6'4, and I'm noticable taller than him in person.
    But Craig Hodges was listed at 6'2", and he actually seemed about the same height as Kerr.

Basically, it's a shoes on measurement, and then they round up. Carmelo is actually only 6-6.75" without shoes. Beasley is just under 6'8" without shoes, Dwight Howard is exactly 6'9" without shoes.

The league has always done this a bit I think, but more so since the 80's....
    Steve Kerr was listed at 6-1, not 6-4.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/steve_kerr/

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    We used to hangout when he was at UAFS -- the JUCO he played for before going to Arkansas. I went there for a couple of years while h was there. and played pick-up with the team and hungout with them some.

We were just hanging out in the apartment of some of the guys on the team and he told me to come here. I guess he had just realized I was tall because he said "damn, you tall" and told me to stand back-to-back with him. Kind of a weird story but it can get really boring on a weeknight in a really small boring college town.

That's cool man. How good was Weems in a pick-up game? Did he pwn everyone?

I've never so much as seen an NBA player outside of a game, let alone played pick-up with one. There are those rare times where there are blu-chip guys at summer tournaments in HS. I have a buddy who's 6'10, and basically the tallest BBall player around from our small community. He went to play small D1 ball, and got dunked on by Larry Hughes.

I always thought it would be sweet to get an NBA player to play on my YMCA team and just pwn everybody and I'd have like 20 wide open shots a game.

Way off subject, but me and my buddies always try to think of what #10 or #11 guy in the NBA we'd take for our summer-league team.

This guy is my favorite!

Last edited by The_LA_Blakers; 05-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Non-shoe height:

Nate Robinson listed 5'9" real more like 5'6"
    Big Baby l 6'9" r 6'7" at best
    Perkins l 6'11" r 6'8.5"
    Beasley l 6'10" r 6'7"
    Howard l 6'11" r 6'9"

Shaq is a legit 7'1" though. He's almost as tall as Big Z

College superstar

Allen Iverson is more like 5'10 then 6

Amar'e is more like 6'8 then 6'10

Some other heights of players:

Z is 7'2" barefeet, 7'3" in shoes
    Lebron is 6'8" barefeet, 6'9" in shoes
    Dirk in reality is 6'11" barefeet, 7'0 in shoes
    Durant was measured 6'9" barefeet in Olympics, so the claims of him being a "7 footer" are completely out of the ass. He just looks very long due to his skinny limbs

Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    Some other heights of players:

Z is 7'2" barefeet, 7'3" in shoes
    Lebron is 6'8" barefeet, 6'9" in shoes
    Dirk in reality is 6'11" barefeet, 7'0 in shoes
    Durant was measured 6'9" barefeet in Olympics, so the claims of him being a "7 footer" are completely out of the ass. He just looks very long due to his skinny limbs
    Nope, 6'7.25" in barefoot and 6'8" in shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Nope, 6'7.25" in barefoot and 6'8" in shoes.
    that was Lebron's height as an 18 year old teenager...I'm pretty sure he's grown up at least an inch since then

I rule the local playground Soothing Layup's Avatar

How tall is Yao?
    How tall is Durant?
    How tall is LBJ?

French Toast Mafia Sterlingsucks's Avatar

Jason Kidd is a legit 6-3, 6-4 in shoes. and I agree with the whole shaq height....dude is atleast 7-0 I remember seeing him at a Warriors game leaning down and resting his arm on mitch richmon who was 6-5 like dude was 5 feet tall...shaw was a monster ! Tyson Chandler is a legit 7 footer too...played H.S ball against him. I would like to know how tall Blake Griffin is though...he was 6-8 coming out of HS and same with Eric Gordon...he was 6-2 going into indiana

Quote Originally Posted by The_LA_Blakers
    That's cool man. How good was Weems in a pick-up game? Did he pwn everyone?

I've never so much as seen an NBA player outside of a game, let alone played pick-up with one. There are those rare times where their are blu-chip guys at summer tournaments in HS. I have a buddy who's 6'10, and basically the tallest BBall player around from our small community. He went to play small D1 ball, and got dunked on by Larry Hughes.

I always thought it would be sweet to get an NBA player to play on my YMCA team and just pwn everybody and I'd have like 20 wide open shots a game.

Way off subject, but me and my buddies always try to think of what #10 or #11 guy in the NBA we'd take for our summer-league team.

This guy is my favorite!

No, he didn't really own everyone. I mean he was always clearly the best player on the court and would take over a game whenever he wanted. But usually it wasn't pick-up with a bunch of scrubs. I was the only real scrub and the rest of the guys were on the team. They were JUCO national champs that year and had 6 or 7 other guys (other than Sonny) go on to play D1 ball somewhere.

Sonny wasn't recruited very heavily out of high school at all. His team won a state championship as a senior but he wasn't even considered the best player on that team. He didn't even make the Arkansas High School All-Star Game played every year in June which is pretty incredible when you think about it. Arkansas isn't exactly bursting at the seams with high level basketball talent. On a really good year there might be 5-8 D1 signees from a given senior class. He went to UAFS, though, and blew up. He started getting recruited heavily by Memphis, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by step_back
    Allen Iverson is more like 5'10 then 6

Amar'e is more like 6'8 then 6'10
    Iverson 5'10 and he can have sick dunks

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    I've seen John Wall in person before. He is listed at 6-4 but he is max 6-0 to 6-1.

3-time NBA All-Star

Interesting that most all of today's players are actually SHORTER than their listed height (mainly because of the shoe measurement), and yet a number of players in the 60's and 70's were actually TALLER than their listed height, even when measured in barefeet.

For some reason, Bill Russell was listed at 6-9, despite being listed at 6-10 in college...AND, he himself, claiming to be 6-10. Wilt swore he was barely over 7-1, but those that actually knew him claimed he was at LEAST 7-2 (I have seen as tall as 7-4 BTW.) And Wilt was noticeably taller than the 7-2 Gilmore in their H2H play in the '72 ABA-NBA all-star game. And Kareem was listed at 7-2, despite being as taller, if not taller, than Ralph Sampson, who was listed at 7-4. Kareem was about an inch taller than Chamberlain, BTW, but Wilt had a longer wingspan (in fact, reportedly, so did Russell.) Chamberlain's wingspan was officially measured at 7-8. Elvin Hayes was listed at 6-8 in college, and was measured at 6-9 1/2 before the NBA draft. And Bill Waton was always listed at 6-11 despite probably being over 7-0.

I can't recall where I read it now, but supposedly Larry Bird was shocked when 7-3 Rik Smits (or 7-4 as he was sometimes listed) was no taller than the 7-1 Shaq, when they lined up in the '00 Finals. Not sure if Shaq was taller than 7-1, or if Smits was shorter than 7-3, though.

Of course, it is now well-known that players from the 60's and 70's would be at least an inch taller than their height back then, just because they would be measured in shoes. Suddenly, the centers of that decade look considerably taller than what they have been given credit for. Walt Bellamy would have been over 7-0, and Nate Thurmond, who had a higher reach than Wilt, would also have been over 7-0. Seven-footers like Boerwinkle, Counts, Finkle, and Dukes would have been at least 7-1. And then 7-3 Swede Holbrook who was a college star, but nothing more than a bench-warmer in the NBA, would have been at least 7-4. BTW, in college, he had another 7-0 teammates who played forward, and Russell dominated them both in the NCAA tournament. Just food for thought for the idiots who claimed that guys like Wilt and Russell played against 6-6 white centers in the 60's.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Steve Nash is listed at 6'3" but, still, I don't even think that's right. He's one of two NBA players I've ever been somewhat close enough to so I could judge their height. I'm a bit over 6'4" in shoes and Nash wasn't 6'3". He looked closer to 6'1" or maybe 6'2" in shoes.

This is a lesser known player but Sonny Weems is listed at 6'6" when he's closer to a true 6'4" or 6'5". I actually stood back-to-back with him to compare heights and we are virtually the exact same height.
    Nash was measured at the combine as 6-foot-1 without shoes. He wasn't measured there with shoes on and all official NBA height listings are with shoes. So, it was probably up to the Suns' organization to get his official numbers, meaning they may be a little fudged.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Steve-Nash-3719/

Weems was measured at the combine as 6'4" without shoes and 6'5.5" with shoes... Teams round up or down for official heights, so that is why he is listed at 6-foot-6.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool
    Steve Kerr is listed at 6'4, and I'm noticable taller than him in person.
    But Craig Hodges was listed at 6'2", and he actually seemed about the same height as Kerr.

Basically, it's a shoes on measurement, and then they round up. Carmelo is actually only 6-6.75" without shoes. Beasley is just under 6'8" without shoes, Dwight Howard is exactly 6'9" without shoes.

The league has always done this a bit I think, but more so since the 80's....
    Kerr is listed at 6'3", not 6'4". He doesn't look a full 6'3" either, though - more like 6'2.5".