Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Curry was never better than LeBron, and we all knew it

lol seriously. Imagine LeBron losing the chip while missing Kevin Love. No one would let him use that as a solid reason for losing, but Curry loses Draymond Green for one game, and he loses andrew bogut for two games and curry's out here doing 360 dunks in warmups, and yet people still wanted to give Curry excuses. We never expected actually expected too much from Curry. If you switch LeBron and Curry, there's no way the cavs had any shot at winning. LeBron with GSW could lose Draymond, Bogut and Harrison barnes and they'd still have won.

So no matter what happens, just remember games 5-7 of this past year's finals when thinking about who the better player is.

I rule the local playground

Default Re: Curry was never better than LeBron, and we all knew it

Agreed. Kobe fan here so no horse in this race but Lebron just has that extra gear that Curry doesn't. When LeBron puts in the highest gear he's simply at the level that very few can match historically. Curry is a great player but it isn't really close between him and LeBron.

I was convinced he had surpassed LeBron last season before the playoffs. And most of the world did too.

The problem with Curry is that he is the shortest person ever to be considered the best in the world. And you add in his average athleticism and he had no way to physically impose his will on the game like other greats can. Most greats have some sort of physical/athletic advantage that they can use to "turn on the switch." Curry had no such luxury, especially in the playoffs when it's more physical. So it's a credit to him to have reached such heights. And I think that's why the world didn't go all out bashing on him like they would've done to a more physically blessed player.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    I was convinced he had surpassed LeBron last season before the playoffs. And most of the world did too.

The problem with Curry is that he is the shortest person ever to be considered the best in the world. And you add in his average athleticism and he had no way to physically impose his will on the game like other greats can. Most greats have some sort of physical/athletic advantage that they can use to "turn on the switch." Curry had no such luxury, especially in the playoffs when it's more physical. So it's a credit to him to have reached such heights. And I think that's why the world didn't go all out bashing on him like they would've done to a more physically blessed player.
    Blah

8 points , 6 rebounds Kevin Love ?

I like how people want to pretend it is farfetched to call him better right now.

Curry may well be better right now. Bron played better in the finals. We get it. He played at an all time great level. Yes. Because he is one of the best players ever, and clearly is capable of it.

Curry was pretty clearly the best player in the league during the regular season, obviously that narrative changed after his horrendous Finals performance and LeBron's GOAT level performance

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Lebron is better than Curry in a vacuum.. the playoffs have proven that. Curry needs goons, Lebron is a goon.. that's the main difference.

A lot of OP's evidence is very poor though.. comparing Love and Dray's impacts in that series, saying Bron could win with just klay by his side apparently, whole lot of dumb stuff.

it would have been a good post if just the last sentence was present

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Lebron is better than Curry in a vacuum.. the playoffs have proven that. Curry needs goons, Lebron is a goon.. that's the main difference.

A lot of OP's evidence is very poor though.. comparing Love and Dray's impacts in that series, saying Bron could win with just klay by his side apparently, whole lot of dumb stuff.

LeBron could def. have won with just Klay and a bunch of the Warriors' great role players. He damn near beat the Warriors with all of their best players completely healthy with JR smith and delly as his 2nd and third best players LOL. The Draymond mention was a superficial thing to bring up though, I'll admit that. It's just saying he's GSW's third best player, Love is Cavs' third best player. There's no situation where LeBron losing his third best player for one game would be deemed a good excuse for losing. It's because we've seen him beat great teams by himself and carry horrible teams to greatness by himself. As for Draymond's impact ... Draymond had like 3 straight single digit games, and Kyrie and LeBron both went off on the whole GSW defense, so what, exactly, was he doing that was of any worth? Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I like how people want to pretend it is farfetched to call him better right now.

Curry may well be better right now. Bron played better in the finals. We get it. He played at an all time great level. Yes. Because he is one of the best players ever, and clearly is capable of it.
    What is your argument for Curry being better? They are about equal on offense but the gap defensively is huge. Lebron beats him by a solid margin on man to man, help defense, rebounding, block, etc.

thinking about it though, Lebron with Klay would be devastating. he'd have Livingston as PG and Iggy as SF.

Livingston
    Klay
    Iggy
    Lebron
    Ezeli/Speights

with Draymond, and Bogut injured

vs a healthy Cavs team of:

Curry/Kyrie/Delly
    JR Smith
    Shumpert
    TT
    Love/Mosgov

Curry's hype came because he improved drastically from one season to another, and his team peaked with him, making him look even better than he was. Both Klay and Green elevated their games and their bench came around too. He's still the best shooter in the whole planet though.

Klay and a much better supporting cast/bench.
    Curry had no reason to not lead his team to victory, regardless of the circumstances.

And not to long ago Love was being called a superstar and Dray a system player. Why is now all of sudden Love's basically being equated to a role player and Dray is now some superstar?

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

One thing I could say is he transcended his position despite his shortcomings and achieved something never seen before by any other player. He's by far the greatest long distance shooter in the history of the game. He's currently the most replicated player in the league right now. His regular season stands up there with any player all time on paper. Is he better than LeBron? Eye test says no. But as we all know team sports is all about the perfect storm. One game separated Curry as a lock top 10 and LeBron boarderline top 10 to what it is right now.

I don't believe in ranking individual greatness as I firmly believe sports is subjective. If I had to pick I'd say yes LeBron is better than Curry. One game changed that perspective.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii
    Klay and a much better supporting cast/bench.
    Curry had no reason to not lead his team to victory, regardless of the circumstances.

And not to long ago Love was being called a superstar and Dray a system player. Why is now all of sudden Love's basically being equated to a role player and Dray is now some superstar?
    Lol seriously. People are getting so out of control. Love was only a role player in the NBA finals.