Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why Does Wiggins Get So Much Hate?

He was viewed as a raw (project) prospect coming out of college.

He hasn't done one thing to get the hate he gets right now.

-Won ROY
    -21 PPG on 46% as a 20 year old
    -Elite, might be the best, spin move when near the lane
    -Great at drawing fouls

Only Shaq, LBJ, Tyreke, Durant, Anthony Davis, Adrian Dantley, Elton Brand and Carmelo have ever scored >20 ppg as a 20 year old or younger in history

Ya, he isn't a well rounded out superstar yet but FFS he is 20 and drastically improved from his rookie to sophomore year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Zn74ym4TI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpizBiJCrkI

Good High School Starter Lord P's Avatar

Default Re: Why Does Wiggins Get So Much Hate?

Well my main issue with him is that he still hasn't developed that star mwntality yet. The kind that you saw in a young KD, Kyrie, and Lillard. With the addition of KAT on the team, I'm not quite sure if he will ever develop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord P
    Well my main issue with him is that he still hasn't developed that star mwntality yet. The kind that you saw in a young KD, Kyrie, and Lillard. With the addition of KAT on the team, I'm not quite sure if he will ever develop it.
    And honestly, that would be completely fine. Not every #1 pick has to turn out to be an alpha dog superstar.

KAT has already taken it upon himself to become the team leader. He literally has said in an interview that he wants and in some ways already sees himself as the team leader. Said he talked to lots of HOF guys to see what it takes to be a great leader.

Even Ricky has said that this team is KAT's

And all of that is ok, Wiggins doesn't have to be that.

Wiggins can be Wiggins and he is capable of taking over the scoring load when needed. He was clutch as **** last year and every once in a while you will see his vicious side come out during those clutch sessions.

But yes, if your expectation of Wiggins was to be an alpha dog superstar and that anything else would be a failure...then your hate is justified.

I absolutly love his spin move.
    He trademarked it, and his ability to go up for a dunk afterwards, with contact, one just sheer bouncbility, is one of the coolest moves I've seen. (Some Prime Wade shit.)

And when I see his games he seems rather polished.

My main (And only) problems with him is this:
    Shouldn't a guy so athletic be a better rebounder?
    Shouldn't a guy with such high usage have more assists?

I have seen him pull off some nice passing moves.
    Like when he drove in with a few seconds left and passed all the way across to Rubio for a 3PT game winning shot against the thunder.

He -can- pass.
    He -can- rebound.

It's really desire at this point.
    If this guy -wanted- to, I feel like he could be a least a 20/5/3 Guy.
    Yet he wasn't, he was 20/3/2.

To me that's just desire and effort.
    He's super talented and one of the most exciting players we have, I think thibs will do him good.

His leadership is quiet and calm, which is very important since KAT is cheery and gleeful to an almost childish extreme (If you've seen him play he just looks so darn happy to be there at times, superstar or not), so I think these two will fit well.

Good Topic, OP.

He's getting hated on because many people expected him to blow up out of the gate. Like someone said above, the kid is ONLY 20 YEARS OLD for fvcks sake. He'll get there.

His rebounding numbers were historically bad last year for a guy with his size/athleticism (3.6 rpg at 35.1 mpg). Not to mention, a measly 2.0 apg. The talent is there but he needs to be more well rounded. And I do question his heart/desire somewhat. All the talent in the world doesn't matter if you don't have that fire in your belly that makes you WANT to go get it. Some have it, some don't.

College superstar

The one thing we were SURE he was coming out of college with was a high level defensive edge. Given his impressive athleticism, everyone was expecting a lot from him on that side of the court. He was a worse defender last year than he was as a HS Sr. And you just can't have that while talking about a players upside. THIS is why people question his motor.

Offensively, he is still really limited to putting the ball in the basket. His vision is questionable at best. His reb/asst totals are just a mess given his usage and athleticism.

He is going to be in the league for a long time, without a doubt. But the goal for 20 year olds is development. And he has the same questions he had coming out of school and has even added a few more.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Lord P
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. What I saw in KD, Kyrie and Lillard was more skills, not a matter of mentality. Wiggins has always stepped it up in big games even in college. I think he just sort of lacks the dynamite skillset of the others. I knew those guys would all be superstars/perennial all stars after their first season. Wiggins? I'm sort o projecting him to make 2-3 all star teams.

They keep forgetting he's only 20 years old

His game is just ugly as f*ck. Shitty ball handling and weird looking jumpshot. Even that famous spin move is always to the right and followed by some dunk. no variety in his footwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctWlKmEGfF8

Compare with this guy. Elegant and smooth as f*ck.

Kevin Durant averaged only 5 rebounds (as a 6'10 SF) and 3 assists while playing bigger minutes around the same age

People need to chill

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    They keep forgetting he's only 20 years old
    He's 21 and 4 months away from turning 22.

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
    The one thing we were SURE he was coming out of college with was a high level defensive edge. Given his impressive athleticism, everyone was expecting a lot from him on that side of the court. He was a worse defender last year than he was as a HS Sr. And you just can't have that while talking about a players upside. THIS is why people question his motor.

Offensively, he is still really limited to putting the ball in the basket. His vision is questionable at best. His reb/asst totals are just a mess given his usage and athleticism.

He is going to be in the league for a long time, without a doubt. But the goal for 20 year olds is development. And he has the same questions he had coming out of school and has even added a few more.
    All accurate. Even if his offense wasn't polished, his D was supposed to be elite right away. But D is about desire/effort and he obviously lacks in that department, at least so far.

Not saying he's some bust or dud but I need to see that fire from him. And once that effort gets amped up, the rest of his game will follow, including the reb/ast/stls.

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    He's 21 and 4 months away from turning 22.
    And your point is?

Still young AF. I wish Jaylen Brown was putting those stats so early in his career. Breaking news, players take time to develop, not everybody can come out like Jordan or Lebron in their first few years. There's guys like Curry who need to find their niche first before breaking out. Trust me, Paul Pierce was around the same when he first got drafted