Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Who is the greatest offensive center to play the game?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    As if Wilt wasn't at the end of his career.
    According to some posters on this site "Kareem got schooled" the same year he averaged 40 points on 52% shooting on Wilt..

I don't get picked last at the park anymore SFMF's Avatar

I'm not sure if the stat is legit, but that's still an embarrassing stat for Wilt.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    According to some posters on this site "Kareem got schooled" the same year he averaged 40 points on 52% shooting on Wilt..
    As if I take jlauber's words as gospel. No. I don't believe that Kareem got "schooled". Lets get the facts straight, okay? First, Wilt at 34 fought PRIME KAREEM to a standstill. He came from a knee surgery. In the next season, he was never the same offensive player. I don't have full information on Wilt. So that's why I'm leaving this thread to jlauber.

NBA rookie of the year

As if I take jlauber's words as gospel. No. I don't believe that Kareem got "schooled". Lets get the facts straight, okay? First, Wilt at 34 fought PRIME KAREEM to a standstill. He came from a knee surgery. In the next season, he was never the same offensive player. I don't have full information on Wilt. So that's why I'm leaving this thread to jlauber.
    Well, you are his buttyboy, everyime there's a thread you act like Jlauber's dog who waits for his owner to say something and then you follow him.

I am well aware of Wilt's injury and his age but you posted footage of his later years which is pretty misleading considering that Kareem pretty much did whatever he'd like to do with Wilt at that time..

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by SFMF
    I'm not sure if the stat is legit, but that's still an embarrassing stat for Wilt.
    Of course it's legit, the same year Wilt won his second ring Kareem averaged 40 points on 52% shooting on Wilt during the regular season.

And then when they faced each other in the playoffs Kareem outscored Wilt by 23 points PER GAME and he did it with better FG% as well. He also had more assists and he shot FT's twice as good compared to Wilt in the playoffs but still old farts like Jlauber spam about Wilt "schooling" Kareem that year..

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    5. DRob
    Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    DROB had the speed and face up game. No center could keep him from driving. Had a good jumper.
    I really don't think that Robinson should be mentioned that high. The biggest issue I've had with his offensive game is his back to the basket game.

While his quickness and jumper made his faceup game very good, and that declined with his ability to run the floor(maybe the best I've seen from a center in that area) and ability to get lobs have to be mentioned, and I'm sure some will point out his regular season numbers....but it's very simple to me. When I watched him, I didn't see a top 5 offensive center of all time, and while my opinion isn't any kind of authority, just look at what happened to those regular season numbers in the playoffs.

Not that I feel like arguing about Kareem vs Wilt in '72 right now, but I'm just pointing out that '72 is regarded as one of, if not Wilt's best defensive seasons. So I wouldn't say Wilt was past his prime defensively by that point. That's probably due to him taking a much smaller scoring load and focusing on defense more.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Mehmet Okur

1. Wilt
    2. Kareem
    3. Shaq
    4. Hakeem
    5. Robinson

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Every time I look at the record books, this one name tends to keep popping up...

First, Wilt at 34 fought PRIME KAREEM to a standstill. He came from a knee surgery. In the next season, he was never the same offensive player.
    1971 Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRmCBYymM0#t=14m3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpufnh4fmRk#t=28m16s

1972 Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpufnh4fmRk#t=32m29s

Based on recaps of 1972 WCF, KAJ outplayed him in games 1, 2, & 4 while Wilt got the better of him in games 3, 5, & 6.

After Gm. 3, 1971:

St. Joseph Gazette - Apr 16, 1971

High Above Courtside: The Lost Memoirs of Johnny Most - Mike Carey, Jamie Most

The Milwaukee Sentinel - Apr 15, 1972

The Bryan Times - Feb 6, 1971

After the '72 WCF:

[I]The Milwaukee Journal - Apr. 24, 1972

Abdul-Jabbar failed to outplay either Nate Thurmond of the Golden State Warriors or Wilt Chamberlain of the Los Angeles Lakers in the playoffs, and his inability to contain Chamberlain finally made the difference in the Laker series that ended in disaster at the Arena Saturday

Matter of Muscle

In the first round series with the Warriors, Abdul-Jabbar outrebounded Thurmond 95-89, but was outscored, 127-114. The Bucks won the series, four games to one.

In the semifinal series with the Lakers, Abdul-Jabbar had a tremendous edge in scoring, 202-67, but was outrebounded, 116-105, and was outmuscled by a greater margin than that. He actually reached the point on occasion where he was intimidated by Chamberlain as he headed toward the basket, and who ever heard of the big Buck being intimidated?

The Lakers eliminated the Bucks in six games, and the turning point occurred, with the series tied 2-2, when Chamberlain took advantage of his tremendous advantage in weight and strength and began pushing Abdul-Jabbar around. Wilt is listed at 275 pounds but probably weighs 290, to Abdul-Jabbar

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease with malice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Every time I look at the record books, this one name tends to keep popping up...
    You're quite possibly looking at the wrong records.

5-time NBA All-Star

Wilt - Most resourceful and proven (Kareem barely averaged 10 ppg less than him over their best 7 years, and KAJ is the closest).
    Kareem - Unstoppable, agile and complete
    Shaq - The bigger unstoppable - Power
    Hakeem - Had all the moves, skills and great quickness
    Walton - In his prime had a great all around offensive game.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    This

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    1971 Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRmCBYymM0#t=14m3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpufnh4fmRk#t=28m16s

1972 Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpufnh4fmRk#t=32m29s

Based on recaps of 1972 WCF, KAJ outplayed him in games 1, 2, & 4 while Wilt got the better of him in games 3, 5, & 6.

After Gm. 3, 1971:

St. Joseph Gazette - Apr 16, 1971

High Above Courtside: The Lost Memoirs of Johnny Most - Mike Carey, Jamie Most

The Milwaukee Sentinel - Apr 15, 1972

The Bryan Times - Feb 6, 1971

After the '72 WCF:

[I]The Milwaukee Journal - Apr. 24, 1972

Abdul-Jabbar failed to outplay either Nate Thurmond of the Golden State Warriors or Wilt Chamberlain of the Los Angeles Lakers in the playoffs, and his inability to contain Chamberlain finally made the difference in the Laker series that ended in disaster at the Arena Saturday

Matter of Muscle
    And Wilt was scoring at one/third of what he was at his peak at this time. Kareem was at his peak.