Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

You're making this story up........

You finally say all these workouts you did now after saying before "no prior lifting experience, no manual labor." So now, according to your story, you DID have a lot of prior lifting experience, push-ups and pull-ups are indeed weightlifting. WITH DIFFERENT GRIPS, EVEN!

Secondly, it would STILL have been extremely rare for someone to be able to do 3 sets of 185 in their first time on the bench, 10 times, even with that experience. It universally takes time for your stabilizing muscles to get used to that much weight. Even naturally strong people struggle with the bench their first time, because of it. And if you were indeed 6'1, 180, the upper body you were pushing up on those pushups isn't near the weight you were supposedly throwing up on the bench.

You simply didn't accomplish this feat.

Go Spurs Go

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 185

atleast loki is a little more realistic now.

he once said he used to do 1500 pushups and situps a day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dgbigballer9329
    You're making this story up........

You finally say all these workouts you did now after saying before "no prior lifting experience, no manual labor." So now, according to your story, you DID have a lot of prior lifting experience, push-ups and pull-ups are indeed weightlifting. WITH DIFFERENT GRIPS, EVEN!
    Umm, I've never considered push-ups "weight lifting." I figured most in-shape people do push-ups. By "manual labor," i meant things like working construction or moving air conditioners and stuff, which I never did.

You simply didn't accomplish this feat.
    Okay.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    atleast loki is a little more realistic now.

he once said he used to do 1500 pushups and situps a day.
    Situps maybe, since I used to do 3 sets of 450 at the top end (I'd vary it). Never push-ups. I topped out around sets of 80.

And I'm not sure where you're getting these "quotes" from me from, but whatever.

EDIT: As an aside, I worked up to that sh!t. When I started trying to do push-ups at age 15 and a half or so, I literally couldn't do two of them. I then just focused on doing one more every week, which, over a year and a half or so, got me up to 80 per set. Same thing for crunches, but I was able to do around 70 of those to start and added in increments of 5 per week.
    Last edited by Loki; 06-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.

An Icon Forever

Jtotheizzo.......GOBB owned you!!!

Jtotheizzo: Faulk it!!!

National High School Star

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    Jtotheizzo.......GOBB owned you!!!

Jtotheizzo: Faulk it!!!

Default Re: 2 Days Have Passed and I STILL Can't Get Over the Fact That Durant Can't Bench 18

This thread kinda looks like it has been sidetracked somewhat and I didn't read it in its entirity, so forgive me if this has already been said, but I think the importance of bench press has been exagerrated a fair bit.

Low post positioning and being able to effectively beat defenders and get into the lane comes from leg strength and power through the hips. A strong base is the key. With the new hand checking and anti-wrestling-for-position focus, upper body strength is not greatly important anywhere other than finishing at the rim, and Durant's spring and wingspan should negate any need to bully his way to the hoop. He can simply shoot over and around most guys.

I'd be a lot more worried if he had leg strength issues.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

bump--- lets keep this train going

Banned

I missed the first 16 pages, so maybe this was mentioned already... but I heard that Michael Jordan didn't lift weights until he got in the NBA, and even then he wasn't into it that much until a few years into the league. I can't verify that, but that's what I remember hearing. He did alright in the league.

Retro is in

I can bench more with my d?ck!

Decent playground baller Lakers's Avatar

Yeah that's pretty pathetic. I don't even play sports that much anymore and I bench 180 lbs at least 10 times at 5'11/162 lbs.

I guess Durant will just have to fall back on the fact that he's going to make millions and kick women to the side that we can only salivate over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers
    Yeah that's pretty pathetic. I don't even play sports that much anymore and I bench 180 lbs at least 10 times at 5'11/162 lbs.

I guess Durant will just have to fall back on the fact that he's going to make millions and kick women to the side that we can only salivate over.
    Yup, and the fact that he'll likely make the US olympic team over guys who can bench 185.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Because Marius Pudzianowski is the greatest basketball player ever.

High School Starter

yeah i didn't read all 16 pages of this...i had no idea it would be THAT big a deal. the NBA isn't the most upper body oriented sport in the world, and the group of guys i worked out with through high school could average about 175-190, none of them played basketball.

i worked out with the basketball team for 2 seasons (my knee was too fu*ked up to practice and play for a whole season, but i still practiced with them and such...) during my workout career in high school, i went from barely 135 to a max (2X) of 235 in about 3-4 semesters (1.5-2 years) at 6'0" around 175-180...

keep in mind...durant is only 19...i was on the bench for a good chunk of my training, so my results increased faster than a basketball player's probably should, considering the goals of basketball

i say cut him some slack for now and let him work with the NBA trainers for a season or two and you will be singing a different tune. bench is NOT a key part of basketball strength training (see Kevin Garnett...) and i think durant will still do fine in the league...get off his nuts about it...all of you are apparently hercules when it comes to bench. congrats...you're still not in the NBA - that's no reason to take it out on someone who is...

Dylan spits hot fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    To rebound, quickness off the ground and pure hustle are more important than strength. Looking at the NBA's to 10 rebounders:

Kevin Garnett , MIN
    Tyson Chandler , NOK
    Dwight Howard , ORL
    Carlos Boozer , UTA
    Marcus Camby , DEN
    Emeka Okafor , CHA
    Al Jefferson , BOS
    Chris Bosh , TOR
    Ben Wallace , CHI
    Tim Duncan , SAS

There are four guys that started out their careers as weaker players (Garnett, Chandler, Camby, and Bosh) and of that group only Boozer, Okafor, and Wallace are getting a significant edge from muscle. Maybe Duncan as well (but it's more lower-body muscle than upper in all of their cases and especially Duncan's). Chandler and Bosh are still low on upper-body strength. If Durant can just work himself up to a toned 225 he should be a good rebounder.

agreed Except on Duncan
    He may not be toned but I've heard tons of players talk about how strong Duncan is. Durant doesn't need to bulk up. I recall Penny Hardaway doing the same thing and the following season he was much slower and lost some of his shooting touch. He needs to get strong enough to hold his own but not bigger. Besides there's not as many bulky giants in the league anymore. I never thought Camby was gonna be able to play center but he has and done a fairly good job. If he can play Center Durant is just fine at Small forward!
    Last edited by elz; 08-17-2007 at 03:57 PM.