Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is this play a travel?

I think both are legal.

Just because guys now can make it from the three point line to the rim on two steps doesn't mean its a travel all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus

I can't really tell off the full play to be honest. I still think he gathers, plants the foot, then takes the two steps (IMO a travel) but it's pretty damn hard to tell.
    That's the thing, if you cant really tell while looking at a replay, why would a ref call it in a game? The gather step is hard to judge without slow motion, and it looked like Lebron simultaneously gathered and took a step. No ref is calling that.

In fact from this angle it looks 100% clean no debate.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    I think both are legal.

Just because guys now can make it from the three point line to the rim on two steps doesn't mean its a travel all of a sudden.
    Right, because guys like Dr J, Bill Russell, Dominique, and a 100 other players in the past couldn't do that. What, have strides increased along with players getting bigger (but barely taller), faster, stronger?

Lebron is walking, but it's like Shaq committing offensive fouls. They let him get away with it. One has to wonder how the lenient 2 steps and a gather is going to evolve over the next several decades. They already let guys get away with 3 or 4 steps as it is.

Will the dribble exist by 2050? Seriously.
    Last edited by Marchesk; 12-13-2014 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Right, because guys like Dr J, Bill Russell, Dominique, and a 100 other players in the past couldn't do that. What, have strides increased along with players getting bigger (but barely taller), faster, stronger?

Lebron is walking, but it's like Shaq committing offensive fouls. They let him get away with it. One has to wonder how the lenient 2 steps and a gather is going to evolve over the next several decades. They already let guys get away with 3 or 4 steps as it is.

Will the dribble exist by 2050? Seriously.
    Except now, there is no single Dr J. Everyone can do it because everyone is able. You see it more now because its a valid, effective move.

The 3 and four step travels are annoying (like on a fast break dunk) but that dribble two step move we see so much is perfectly legal.

LeBron blatantly travels and hooks with his off hand atleast 8 times a game and never gets called.