Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    owwwww

Default Re: Why I think Michael Jordan was Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    What the hell are win shares?
    A stat that allocates a fraction of each win among the players on the winning team. 1 win = 1 win share. A star player might get .2 win share, bench players .05 and so on to complete 1 share.

Easily the worst stat that is cited here on ISH. In summary, just laugh and ignore whoever tries to make a credible argument based on this stupid stat.

NBA rookie of the year

LMAO @ Jinxed.

Yeah, Jordan was "overrated" despite dominating the league in every aggregate statistical metric for a decade and winning more rings and ammassing more MVP's and accolades than all but 1 or 2 other players in history. Okay.

Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxed
    The 1993-1994 Bulls had the 14th ranked offense in the leage, better than average and the next year they had the 10th best offense in the league. This is without Jordan..so they were still a Good offensive team, even without Mike.

The way I view Jordan, especially the early years before Pippen came around is similar to the year Kobe avg 35 points a game. You're right, he didn't have many other players on his team that could score, besides briefly playing with George Gervin and Orlando Woolridge...and because he carried most of the offense he had INFLATED statistics...stats he woudn't have if there were other scorers on the team. So...thanks for helping prove my point.
    Jordan is the GOAT. Period.

1981 Breaks record at McDonald's All-American game by scoring 30 points

1982= hits game winner for North Carolina, jumps into pass lane on defense forcing Sleepy Floyd to turn the ball over to James Worthy.

1983 = UNC choked in the NCAA tourney despite having the #2 seed, not Jordan

1984 = 1984 Named college Player of the Year. 1984 Wins Olympic gold medal as the leader of the U.S. basketball team. UNC choked again in the sweet 16 despite having the #1 seed, not Jordan

1985 = [COLOR="Navy"]joined Chicago, who only won 27 games the year before, and led the franchise to 38 games and the playoff's. [/COLOR]1985 Named NBA Rookie of the Year.

1986 = Took the Celtics to a 3rd game rubber match, (yes kids only 3 game series at that point in NBA history), scored 63 points on the team that went on to win the championship that year, the Celtics were the #1 rated defense in the NBA, Jordan took them to their limit, despite Orlando Woolridge shooing 9-27 in the game, Jordan still kept the Bulls in it.

1987 = Jordan wins scoring title while making 48.2%(37.1ppg) of his shot attempts, Winner Slam Dunk Contest, Named NBA Most Valuable Player, Named NBA Defensive Player of the Year, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Named to the All-NBA First Team, back in the playoffs again. Jordan averaged over 40 points per game for over half of this season.

1988 = Jordan wins scoring title while making 53.5% of his shot attempts, Wins Slam Dunk Contest, Named NBA Most Valuable Player, Named NBA All-Star Games Most Valuable Player, Pippen was still developing, the help around Jordan was limited, lost to the eventual world champs in the playoffs, still got them to the playoffs

1989 = Jordan wins scoring title while making 53.8% of his shot attempts, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Jordan and his teammates had a decent showing against the Pistons, Jordan did everything he could, the cast around him hadn't developed enough to beat a stacked team like Detroit.

1990 = Jordan wins scoring title while making 52.6% of his shot attempts, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Once again ran into the Detroit buzzsaw, but still led the Bulls to the playoffs.

1991 = Jordan wins scoring title while making 53.9% of his shot attempts, Named NBA Most Valuable Player, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Leads Chicago Bulls to their first NBA title. In the 1991 NBA Finals Jordan posted per game averages of 31.2 points on 56% shooting from the field, 11.4 assists, 6.6 rebounds, 2.8 steals and 1.4 blocks. Jordan won his first NBA Finals MVP award by a unanimous decision, and he cried while holding the NBA Finals trophy.

1992 = Jordan wins scoring title while making 51.9% of his shot attempts, Named NBA Most Valuable Player, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Wins Olympic gold medal with U.S. basketball team, leads bulls to back-to-back titles. In the 1992 NBA Finals Jordan was named Finals MVP for the second year in a row and finished the series averaging 35.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, and 6.5 apg, 1.67 steals, .33 blocks while shooting 53% from the floor.

1993 = Jordan wins scoring title while making 49.5% of his shot attempts, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Leads bulls to their 3rd straight championship, In the 1993 NBA Finals Jordan averaged a Finals-record 41.0 ppg during the six-game series, 8.5 rebounds, 6.3 assists, .67 blocks, 1.67steals, and became the first player in NBA history to win three straight Finals MVP awards. Jordan scored more than 30 points in every game of the series, including 40 or more points in 4 consecutive games, an NBA finals record which has never been threatened.

[COLOR="Navy"]1995 = BULLS were struggling to stay over .500 in the 94-95 season, and when Jordan came back to the Bulls we won 76% of the rest of the games in the regular season, won 72 games the following year.[/COLOR]

1996 = Jordan wins scoring title, past his athletic prime, while making 49.5% of his shot attempts, Named NBA Most Valuable Player, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History, Named NBA All-Star Games Most Valuable Player. Leads Bulls to their 4th championship of Jordan's career as leader of the team. In the 1996 Finals Jordan averaged 27.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.16 assists, 1.67 steals, .17 blocks per game in the 1996 NBA Finals vs Seattle. Jordan won the Finals MVP trophy. (Dennis Rodman, great defender, even though Gary Payton beat him out for defensive player of the year award and Dennis Rodman's prime was in the 80's, Rodman was a liability on offense, still contributed with defense and rebounding.)

1997 = Jordan wins scoring title, past his athletic prime, while making 48.6% of his shot attempts, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Leads Bulls to 5th championship as the leader of the team, In the 1997 Finals Jordan averaged 32.3 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, .83 blocks, 1.17 steals per game in the 1997 NBA finals against the Utah Jazz. Jordan won the Finals MVP trophy.

1998 = Jordan wins scoring title, past his athletic prime, while making 46.5% of his shot attempts, Named NBA Most Valuable Player, Named to the All-NBA First Team, Named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team, Named NBA All-Star Games Most Valuable Player, led Bulls to 6th championship as leader of the team, In the 1998 Finals Jordan averaged 33.5 points, 4 rebounds, 2.3 assists, .67 steals, .67 blocks per game in the 1998 NBA finals against the Utah Jazz. Jordan won the Finals MVP trophy.

-Jordan was 6 for 6 in NBA Finals appearances and 6 for 6 with Finals MVP awards

2001 - 02 = MJ comes out of retirement to play for the Wizards, Jordan was 8 years removed from his prime.

ALL-TIME SCORING RECORDS:
    1st Place: MJ, 24 scoring records
    2nd Place: Wilt, 18 scoring records
    3rd Place: Moot

- Highest career scoring average: MJ 30.12
    - Highest career playoff scoring average: MJ 33.4
    - Highest career Finals scoring average: MJ 33.6 (min. 15 games)
    - Highest single season playoff average: MJ 43.7
    - Highest single Finals series average: MJ 41.0
    - Most Total Points Playoffs: MJ 5987
    - Most seasons leading league in scoring: MJ 10
    - Most seasons leading league in total points: MJ 11
    - Most consecutive seasons leading in scoring: MJ, Wilt tied at 7
    - Most 50 point games playoffs: MJ 8
    - Most 40 point games playoffs: MJ 38
    - Most 30 point games: MJ 563
    - Most 30 point games playoffs: MJ 109
    - Most consecutive 50 point games playoffs: MJ 2
    - Most consecutive 45 point games playoffs: MJ 3
    - Most consecutive 40 point games finals: MJ 4
    - Most consecutive 30 point games finals: MJ 9
    - Most consecutive 20 point games playoffs: MJ 60
    - Most consecutive 20 point games finals: MJ 35
    - Most consecutive double figures scoring: MJ 866
    - Highest scoring game playoffs: MJ 63
    - Most points in one half finals: MJ 35
    - Oldest to score 50: MJ 51 at age 38
    - Oldest to score 40: MJ 43 at age 40

Jordan won 10 scoring titles, 6 he won while making over 50% of his shots, Jordan led the league in steals, Jordan was the best shot blocking guard, Jordan won 14 combined MVP's (3 all star, 5 league, 6 finals). Jordan averaged 33, 6, and 6 in the Finals for his career.
    Doug Collins decided to move Jordan to the point guard spot against Seattle on March 11, 1989. He finished that game with 15 assists. Two days later, he had a game of 21/14/14 against the Pacers in just 30 minutes of playing time in a 32-point blowout win. He reached the triple double mark in just 21 minutes. Jordan continued to play at the PG spot until the end of the season. In these 24 games he averaged 29.3ppg, 8.9rpg, 10.6 apg, 2.4spg. Between March 24 and April 14, 1989, he recorded a triple double in ten of the eleven games, including seven consecutive ones. In the game he didn't record a triple double, he finished with 40 points, 11 assists and 7 rebounds. The hands down greatest of all time, anyone disputing this is a misinformed individual.

Jordan averaged 31.5ppg on 51.5% shooting when he wore a Bulls uniform while leading the league in scoring 10 times.

I just shut down your thread!

Fail

Jordan holds the most scoring records, most finals MVP's, and you combine that with his record career averages in the regular season and playoffs, his 10 scoring titles, plus being the leader of 6 championship teams, it shows how dumb you are for making this retarded ass thread kid. **** yourself in the ass!

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Jordan was clearly overrated, how THE ENTIRE WORLD doesn't see that is beyond amazing.

People need to understand that MJ was just all hype.

Just because you guys actually saw him play during his prime, doesn't mean he isn't overrated.

Anyone who took this thread serious from the start is a retard.

Food for thought. Eat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    A stat that allocates a fraction of each win among the players on the winning team. 1 win = 1 win share. A star player might get .2 win share, bench players .05 and so on to complete 1 share.

Easily the worst stat that is cited here on ISH. In summary, just laugh and ignore whoever tries to make a credible argument based on this stupid stat.

Magic Johnson

@ BruceBlitz not being able to stand Kobe trolls when he's exactly the same way with Michael....

Saw a basketball once

Listen, Jordan will always be considered the best basketball player to ever play. The point isn't if is or wasn't the best but once you retire and you become more ambiguous to the latter generations you become like a myth and no current star in the NBA can compete with a Myth. A myth grows as more people add to it. I bet in 10-15 years people will say/believe that Jordan had 4 legs 8 hands and could score 100points a game on his own.

Good High School Starter

Who is this moron who keeps copying and pasting from some website?

I don't think this dude gets my point about Jordan..

Ball Hog. Which inflated his scoring statistics. I hold his scoring AGAINST HIM.

It's the reason I think the Bulls were almost as good without him. Because they were able to share the ball more, instead of one player being a ball hog and taking all the shots.

His scoring dominance is a NEGATIVE in my mind. Without Jordan, as a team the Bulls had and almost exact same FG%..which goes to show that MJ really didn't contribute too much to the Bulls making more shots. Other players were just as capable of making their open shots as Jordan was of making his difficult shots.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    The reason they did so well the next year was first of all because the Bulls always played great defense so even with MJ gone they could still win games without his 30 a night. And Pippen was a great leader his season back then is the equivalent of Lebron's right now. So no Jordan is not overrated.
    Why does every body forget to mention that they added tony and kerr.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    @ BruceBlitz not being able to stand Kobe trolls when he's exactly the same way with Michael....
    Nope, I don't make excuses for Jordan's lack of production because I don't have to. I just show people how great he was, because, unlike most of you, I was old enough to watch his entire career. The Kobe trolls on the other hand make excuses, ignore his faults, and worship his balls.

3-2-1 swish!

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

I lived the 90s era Jordan as a whole I was tired of listening to his dam name in the media 24 hrs a day and tired of kids trying to emulate is 1 on 1...I Wanabee Like Mike Game in every playground ball game...etc (because there are other great players in other positions than can affect the game and other styes that should be more hyped etc) ....Yes he was a bit selfish initially in his career true and the passing game was not something he was born with but he developed greatly as a good passer.. etc

But I can tell you one thing regarding his game.

NOT OVERRATED AT ALL .

Ball Hog. Which inflated his scoring statistics. I hold his scoring AGAINST HIM.

It's the reason I think the Bulls were almost as good without him. Because they were able to share the ball more, instead of one player being a ball hog and taking all the shots.

His scoring dominance is a NEGATIVE in my mind. Without Jordan, as a team the Bulls had and almost exact same FG%..which goes to show that MJ really didn't contribute too much to the Bulls making more shots. Other players were just as capable of making their open shots as Jordan was of making his difficult shots.
    You must be an idiot. First of all, that's my homework that I posted in other threads on here, to other morons just like yourself. You jackass. You clearly didn't watch Michael Jordan and maybe you should try becoming a fan of the game of tennis or water polo if you think Jordan wasn't the greatest basketball player to ever play the game of basketball. Dumb ass mother ****er!

Very good NBA starter

LOL MJ avg 6 asts in his rookie season. The only year he was a ballhog was 87. I don't see ur point?