Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Most Athletic Big Man in NBA History?

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    They can hit free-throws. They just don't do it as well as everyone else. (Although, in fairness, Dwight and especially Shaq have some of the ugliest strokes I've ever seen).

Have you ever played basketball? Competitive basketball? There's more to hitting free-throws than coordination, or being able to shoot. If that's all it took, Ray Allen would never miss. Ever. But he does. About 1 or 2 out of every 10, in fact. When Pete Maravich was kid, his dad would make him hit 500 in a row before he could eat dinner. And that sounds like something Pete could probably do. But what was his career percentage? Low 90's? High 80's? A lot of it is psychological. Some of it is fatigue. 30,000 people screaming at you probably doesn't help. At practice, in an empty gym, these guys can knock them down like nobodies business. Even Ben Wallace, who has airballed in competition. Either you're delusional about this neighbor of yours, or she should be signing a letter of intent to UConn, today.

Of course a lot of it is psychological, but like you said..look at their strokes. Or even them dribbling the ball on a fast break. It's pathetic.

have you seen wilt try and shoot a free throw? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxDdnzpnU8

Now I want you to try and imagine Dwight Howard trying to dribble the ball up the court against a press. He couldn't do it. Dirk can. And it's not just skill, it takes coordination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxed
    Dwight Howard is not in the same universe of athleticism as Dirk.
    You hear that?

It's the whole world laughing at you.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    You hear that?

It's the whole world laughing at you.

People say that Deion Sanders, Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson were great athletes because they could play multiple sports.

Dirk Nowitzki was really good at handball growing up. Name another sport Dwight Howard could play. If he is so athletic, he should be able play more than one position, in one sport.

If basketball wasn't invented..what kind of athlete would Dwight Howard be? What sport would he play? He couldn't play any that I can think of.

NBA rookie of the year

Of course a lot of it is psychological, but like you said..look at their strokes. Or even them dribbling the ball on a fast break. It's pathetic.

have you seen wilt try and shoot a free throw? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxDdnzpnU8

Now I want you to try and imagine Dwight Howard trying to dribble the ball up the court against a press. He couldn't do it. Dirk can. And it's not just skill, it takes coordination.
    Can Dirk jump 40 inches off the ground? Dwight Howard can. Wilt could probably get close.

I see what you are trying to say. I do. You somewhat, vaguely, poorly, retardedly have a point. But, at the end of the day, you're saying that Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. That the ten-year-old girl who lives next-door to you is more athletic (by your standards) than Dwight Howard - a guy who is at the very top of a group (the NBA) of elite athletes.

Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. It's absurd. It would be laughable if you weren't being serious.

Gotta give some love to my boy Darryl Dawkins when talking about athletic big men:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeqKjXKGrFI

I don't believe anyone has mentioned him yet.

Wilt Chamberlain. The Stilt was the definition of athlete in his prime.

Good High School Starter

Or better yet...what if Dirk and Dwight were to go head to head in a sports competition..who do you think would win..

THe sports are Tennis...Soccer...Skiing...golf...cycling..running ....wrestling..swmming.. baseball....water polo..handball...ice skating...etc etc...

who would win in every sport? I'll give Dwight wrestling, but Dirk clobbers him in all the rest.

teh answer is Wilt

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Can Dirk jump 40 inches off the ground? Dwight Howard can. Wilt could probably get close.

I see what you are trying to say. I do. You somewhat, vaguely, poorly, retardedly have a point. But, at the end of the day, you're saying that Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. That the ten-year-old girl who lives next-door to you is more athletic (by your standards) than Dwight Howard - a guy who is at the very top of a group (the NBA) of elite athletes.

Wilt Chamberlain wasn't athletic. It's absurd. It would be laughable if you weren't being serious.

I never said my neighbor was more athletic. And I never said Chamberlain wasn't athletic. You are putting words in my mouth. I said wilt and Dwight have very poor coordination.

NBA rookie of the year

People say that Deion Sanders, Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson were great athletes because they could play multiple sports.
    No, it was their freakish athleticism that allowed them to play multiple sports. If Bo Jackson wasn't running up outfield walls and catching pop flies, we'd still think he was a freakish athlete because he could run the 40 in a little over 4 seconds and bulldoze linemen whilst maintaining that "...the weight room is for pansies."

Wilt Chamberlain, in addition to being one of the all-time greats in basketball, was a hell of a track and field athlete. At 7'1" and change, he could run the 100m dash in about 10 seconds. Great volleyball player too, enshrined in the International Volleyball Association's Hall of Fame. One of only a handful of athletes in two Halls of Fame. Jim Brown is the only other one I can think of at the moment (football and lacrosse). You know who isn't? Dirk Nowitzski. And your neighbor.

Dirk Nowitzki was really good at handball growing up. Name another sport Dwight Howard could play. If he is so athletic, he should be able play more than one position, in one sport.

If basketball wasn't invented..what kind of athlete would Dwight Howard be? What sport would he play? He couldn't play any that I can think of.
    There's no question that basketball is perfect for Dwight Howard. But just because he's uniquely athletic doesn't mean he isn't athletic. As far as other sports he could play? Volleyball springs to mind, a la Chamberlain. Or football - put him in on special teams and have him block field goals. Or boxing. With his size and athleticism he'd make a hell of a heavyweight.

This discussion starts and ends with Wilt. Everyone else is a distant 2nd.

NBA rookie of the year

I never said my neighbor was more athletic. And I never said Chamberlain wasn't athletic. You are putting words in my mouth. I said wilt and Dwight have very poor coordination.
    This is your post:
    LMFAO at Dwight Howard...

Guys this is overall athleticism...Dwight Howard can't shoot a basketball, neither could Wilt, my 10 year old neighbor who is a girl has more coordination and agility then both of them combined

Don't Be blinded By strength! Coordination is more important for overall athleticism.
    You started a thread about athletic big men, and then "L'ed your F'ing A Off" when Dwight Howard and Wilt Chamberlain were mentioned. You derided their overall ATHLETICISM because, somehow, in your eyes, they aren't as coordinated or agile as your 10-year-old neighbor. So, yeah...

Good High School Starter

Let's dispel some rumors.

Wilt wasn't a great volleyball player. He wasn't even a good volleyball player because he couldn't go to the ground and dig....he played in the short lived International Vollyball League..it lasted only 4 years and was CO-ED. Wilt Chamberlain played volleyball with girls. It was more like a glorified work kickball league. He was president of the league and he is enshrined in their hall of fame for his contributions.

It wasn't real volleyball. Not like you see in the Olympics. He's not in that hall of fame. LOL.

But he was great at the high jump and 400m Dash.

NBA rookie of the year

That's true. But he was also in Conan. So it evens out.