Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: I really respect Dirk and Duncan now

The True Ballers

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    This. Also Duncan said he wanted out once, but since he got quality team, he stayed.
    When did that happen? Serious question, I'd want to know as I've never heard of that and he's my favourite player.

2 things:

1.) Dirk and Duncan never had a reason to leave. The Spurs have been a contender since the day TD walked through the door - its an extremely well managed franchise and they draft exceptionally well. And Mark Cuban has always paid to buy a good team around Dirk. Why leave? You wanna give props to a guy lwho stuck it out, its Paul Pierce.

2.) the super-team is the new trend in the NBA. Just accept it. The Celtics kicked in the door and in walked the Heat, now the Knicks, and others will follow. Dont be surprised if Paul or Howard end up in NY as well.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

I must have missed the memo...

What have the Heat proven this year that the Cavs haven't done the last two years???

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    2 things:

1.) Dirk and Duncan never had a reason to leave. The Spurs have been a contender since the day TD walked through the door - its an extremely well managed franchise and they draft exceptionally well. And Mark Cuban has always paid to buy a good team around Dirk. Why leave? You wanna give props to a guy lwho stuck it out, its Paul Pierce.

2.) the super-team is the new trend in the NBA. Just accept it. The Celtics kicked in the door and in walked the Heat, now the Knicks, and others will follow. Dont be surprised if Paul or Howard end up in NY as well.

I can't believe I forgot about him

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by #1SportsFan86
    These guys never ask to leave there team or demand anything from there front office when things wheren't going so well, they never threw any of there teammates under the bus and played the game the way it should be played.

Much respect to Dirk and Duncan and also Steve Nash.
    they are just more loyal , family oriented , old school, than the young "i want it all and i want it now" spoiled kids/millionaires raised by single mothers -without fathers- we see today.

These guys know money doenst replace meaniginful relationships with long term teammates/friends and family. When the younger kids are oportunistic, materialistic hedonists who dont care much about anyone else but themselves...and their mothers.
    Last edited by Funnyfuka; 02-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.

National High School Star

Great Euro player with the best NBA resume, its not the same as the greatest Euro player ever.
    Please explain
    He is the greatest Euro player? The NBA is still considered the best accolade on any athlete's resume right. He is the best/greatest ever European player

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strike
    erm when exactly were things not going well for mr Tim Duncan! hes been extremely blessed to be at the Spurs, (IMO the best run nba team in the league). He has never lacked supporting talent or coaching
    Let's not act like Duncan wasn't one of the main reasons the Spurs have been contending for titles. No Duncan = no titles.

Quote Originally Posted by #1SportsFan86

I can't believe I forgot about him
    Did'nt PP ask for a trade? There was some trade rumours

Banned

mega teams dont last eternally either... put aside the teams who constantly get well managed (lakers,mavs, spurs, celtics, chicago)

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    2 things:

nothing new about it.

6 teams have won 29 of the last 31 titles. 4 teams have won 24 of the last 31 titles.

super teams have always dominated the nba. the difference now is that players are taking control of their future. but the end result is exactly the same.

you have superstars playing with other superstars and other all-nba players.

and also, our definition of superstar and star is extremely broad. how is bosh a superstar? really? he's a superstar? is westbrook a superstar? is rondo a superstar? at some point we need to redefine what a star actually is. all this self promotion.....hell....if you listen to espn, we have 35 players in the top 15. kind of pointless.

i mean, is al horford a superstar now? joe johnson? LOL

I rule the local playground strike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Let's not act like Duncan wasn't one of the main reasons the Spurs have been contending for titles. No Duncan = no titles.
    of course.
    tim duncan = top 10 ALL TIME.

No doubt about it. But he had the admiral when he first joined.
    Then as time went on he had a great coach, and excellent players around him and a fantastic organisation.
    He was certainly more lucky than Dirk ever was.

Not taking anything away from Duncan hes 1 of my fave players of all time. But he's never quite been in a desperate team with no hope

Quote Originally Posted by strike
    of course.
    tim duncan = top 10 ALL TIME.

No doubt about it. But he had the admiral when he first joined.
    Then as time went on he had a great coach, and excellent players around him and a fantastic organisation.
    He was certainly more lucky than Dirk ever was.

Not taking anything away from Duncan hes 1 of my fave players of all time. But he's never quite been in a desperate team with no hope
    true, but tim duncan (4 times) and hakeem (1 time) and jordan (1 time) are the only superstars of the last 30 years to win a title without an all-nba teammate.

what duncan has done is truly remarkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero Tulip
    When did that happen? Serious question, I'd want to know as I've never heard of that and he's my favourite player.
    It was almost a decade ago, Duncan threatened to leave, possibly to Magic to play with G.Hill. Spurs convinced him to stay, they have an amazing front office and a HOF coach. I did quick google check for reference: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-spurs121510

[QUOTE]Duncan won

It was almost a decade ago, Duncan threatened to leave, possibly to Magic to play with G.Hill. Spurs convinced him to stay, they have an amazing front office and a HOF coach. I did quick google check for reference: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=jy-spurs121510

There is more, if you want to research.
    yep.

and there is nothing wrong with that. duncan stayed because they built well around him. kobe did the same thing in the summer before 08. why should kobe waste some of his best years on bad teams? makes no sense.

this is what we should want out of our elite players. we should want them to care more about winning than money or fame.

we can't have it both ways. and for the last time. you need at least 2 great players to win titles when you build around a superstar. you have to have that pippen or gasol or kobe or shaq or mchale or parrish or kareem or magic. that is the way it works.

only tim duncan and hakeem have won as superstars really without that. so this whole "teaming up" things is pointless. who cares how it happens? it needs to happen for these players and teams to win.