Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: eurobasket2009

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Default eurobasket2009

Wellit started today.any thoughts?
    Greece were as good as expected against a weak side.Turkey maybe a bit of an upset,as Lithuania have a big fan base,being so close and a great team,however Turkey have some strong players and Lithuania missing their usual.GB I don't think will win a single game.Spain were awful against a good Serbia. 11-24 free throws and 1-13 3s? I think those were the figures,could be worse.I mean 3 13 3s and 15 24 fts would have still been awful and yet they would have won the game on a truly poor performance.I thought latvia would be closer to russia than they were.On the other hand Germany did better against France than I thought.Good win for hosts too.

Default Re: eurobasket2009

germany beat russia, macedonia beat the asians, and poland beat lithuania!! wow some crazy results.

Serious playground baller Flamboyant's Avatar

germany beat russia, macedonia beat the asians, and poland beat lithuania!! wow some crazy results.

The tournament is awesome so far, though I'm not surprised that much by these results. Israel losing to Macedonia was a little unexpected, and I expected Lithuania to win, but Poland is the host, so not much of a surprise there neither. Russia may be the reigning champs, but they are a much worse team than 07, and I expected Germany to take this one. Slovenia defeating Serbia is a bit bigeer of a surprise to me.
    Greece - Croatia is the game of the night. Whoever wins this will earn the top seed of the group.
    IMO the leaders of the groups will be Greece, France, Serbia, and Turkey.
    Spain is still the main candidate to win it all. No way they'll keep playing as bad as they did last night.
    Last edited by Flamboyant; 09-08-2009 at 03:13 PM.

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Israel needed a new coach a decade ago. It's like their national organization tries to put a substandard product on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamboyant

The tournament is awesome so far, though I'm not surprised that much by these results. Israel losing to Macedonia was a little unexpected, and I expected Lithuania to win, but Poland is the host, so not much of a surprise there neither. Russia may be the reigning champs, but they are a much worse team than 07, and I expected Germany to take this one. Slovenia defeating Serbia is a bit bigeer of a surprise to me.
    Greece - Croatia is the game of the night. Whoever wins this will earn the top seed of the group.
    IMO the leaders of the groups will be Greece, France, Serbia, and Turkey.
    Spain is still the main candidate to win it all. No way they'll keep playing as bad as they did last night.
    well I think you were wrong,like I was to be honest,as I also thought they couldn't play worse,but they did!!one of the poorest,most embarrassing performance I have ever seen from a big team.Great Britain will probably lose to Serbia tomorrow.Spain will surely lose to slovenia if they play like today.Why on earth are they so poor from the free throw line? Navarro is doing his usual disappearing act.Garbajosa should no longer be in the squad.For Mumbru,Grimau,atleast Grimau makes things happen when things are a bit stuck.Pau Ribas and Sergi Vidal should also be there ahead of cabezas and llull.Lithuania out! that has to be a suprise. Germany have nothing,even though Russia are not the strongest(as they werent 2 years ago either) for me it is still a suprise.
    I think the team to look out for is Turkey.Greece,Turkey,Croatia are the best 3 teams. Poland are playing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    well I think you were wrong,like I was to be honest,as I also thought they couldn't play worse,but they did!!one of the poorest,most embarrassing performance I have ever seen from a big team.Great Britain will probably lose to Serbia tomorrow.Spain will surely lose to slovenia if they play like today.Why on earth are they so poor from the free throw line? Navarro is doing his usual disappearing act.Garbajosa should no longer be in the squad.For Mumbru,Grimau,atleast Grimau makes things happen when things are a bit stuck.Pau Ribas and Sergi Vidal should also be there ahead of cabezas and llull.Lithuania out! that has to be a suprise. Germany have nothing,even though Russia are not the strongest(as they werent 2 years ago either) for me it is still a suprise.
    I think the team to look out for is Turkey.Greece,Turkey,Croatia are the best 3 teams. Poland are playing really well.
    sorry lithuania not out. i thought top two went through.

Banned

To me what really stands out so far is how overrated France is.

National High School Star KoolKat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    They are far from being overrated.

I agree totally they always are, especially to the "NBA is the be all and end all,of basketball!" folk. France has the most NBA players so automatically they are overrated. We have seen them in the last few years with the same team and in all the competitions they were poor. I mean Turiaf,pietrus,mahimi,batum they are all decent players but none are special, give me bourousis,spanoulis,fernandez,jagla,vujcic,rubio etc etc.

Who's overrating them ? They never figure as the favorites.

Outside of Parker, Diaw, Turiaf, Pietrus and maybe Batum they have pretty average players.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KoolKat
    They are far from being overrated.
    They are totally overrated.

They are totally overrated.
    How are they overrated ? They're never listed as favorites and are rarely listed as contenders

Spain have been terrible so far. I was expecting them to win this thing fairly easily, as they have by far the strongest team on paper, but at the moment they are in danger of not even making it to the quarterfinals, don't think anyone saw that coming.
    I like Rubio, but I have to say I've been very disappointed with his play so far, and it has definetely been part of the reason Spain is losing.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket
    Spain have been terrible so far. I was expecting them to win this thing fairly easily, as they have by far the strongest team on paper, but at the moment they are in danger of not even making it to the quarterfinals, don't think anyone saw that coming.
    I like Rubio, but I have to say I've been very disappointed with his play so far, and it has definetely been part of the reason Spain is losing.
    spain have been woeful,not just rubio.Even Gasol's free throws,My God he is worse than Shaq,I know in the NBA he is prone to the odd 3 of 12 but overall he is a 70+ percent free throw shooter.Rubio isn't given enough freedom by Scariolo,For me Grimau is better than Llull at the moment,he is more experienced and when his team get stuck in offense he can really open defences up.(Underrated player).Navarro always does poorly for Spain in the big ocassions.Garbajosa shouldn't be there, he has never recovered since his injury.They miss Fran Vasquez big time,unfortunately Vasquez opted not to go,due to some problem he has with some of the other players and the federation.

Local High School Star Nero Tulip's Avatar

Didn't see today's game but it's Spain's team play that's atrocious, not a player in particular. I didn't find Rubio bad. Gasol isn't playing at his usual level, but he has the excuse of being exhausted (Turkoglu is pretty bad too, by the way).

Nobody is playing well, but IMO that's because they are not good collectively. If they find cohesion, they can still blast through the rest of the tournament.