Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Default Re: Top 3 Power Forwards of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
    Exactly.

The whole notion that if a certain player wins a title, he automatically jumps players who were very clearly better players at their peak is completely ridiculous.
    Who other than Duncan is clearly better than Nowitzki? Nowitzki is an MVP and 11x NBA teamer.

Look at his teammates right now. If Nowitzki wins a title with this lackluster cast, sweeping a perennial and still prime Lakers championship team, the Durant/Westbrook Thunder (who could very well turn into a championship team themselves) and the "Heatles" along the way that is an incredibly impressive feat. I'm not saying it will happen, frankly I don't think so, but if he does? Impressive. More impressive than anything Barkley/Malone/KG have ever achieved. So you guys are saying: "Ignore this, it doesn't matter, take a look at these stats."?

Preposterous.

1)Duncan
    2)Barkley
    3)Malone

4)Garnett
    5)McHale

Dirk right now is 6th, IMO. He surpasses McHale at the very least with a ring.

McHale is so fcking overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerOO
    McHale is so fcking overrated.

Tell that to Larry Bird. Even Bird acknowledged McHale was a key player. McHale was one of the best post defenders of all-time. A ton of post moves under the hoop, great defender, and good outside shooter.

owwwww

I'm ready to accept Dirk as the best offensive PF of all-time. He scores in a way that is more effective than anyone else because it always comes in the context of the team (and in situations where the game slows down, he is still unstoppable on one on one isos). The fact that he is a threat from everywhere on the floor makes it a lot easier for his teammates to do their thing, and this is something he does by not even touching the ball, just through the threat of his shooting ability (better than everyone else ever at this position, so yes this is a unique thing to get from your PF). His decision making and passing have been amazing imo, makes the right play for everything the defense throws at him and knows when to take a step back for his teammates. I honestly don't care what the numbers say, I know McHale had the most efficient 25+ ppg season ever, Barkley had crazy offensive stats in the 80s (which overstated his true offensive ability imo because he did a lot of work on the offensive glass/fast break, and as the 90s went on his shot selection got worse and worse), the way Dirk gets his is just better for the team.

but as for as top 3 PFs, for me at least it's like:

1. Duncan
    2. KG
    3. Malone/Barkley and possibly Dirk if he ends this year the right way

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

typical ISH, completely ignoring everything but Offense. Prime Duncan or Malone would man-handle Dirk.

Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Look at his teammates right now. If Nowitzki wins a title with this lackluster cast, sweeping a perennial and still prime Lakers championship team, the Durant/Westbrook Thunder (who could very well turn into a championship team themselves) and the "Heatles" along the way that is an incredibly impressive feat. I'm not saying it will happen, frankly I don't think so, but if he does? Impressive. More impressive than anything Barkley/Malone/KG have ever achieved. So you guys are saying: "Ignore this, it doesn't matter, take a look at these stats."?

Preposterous.
    You have got to be ****ing kidding me. Dallas has very good players in nearly all positions and a solid solid bench.

Banned

There just isn't a logical case for Dirk above Barkley or Malone, and it'd be awfully hard to put him over Hayes. Doesn't matter if he wins or not, he's just plain not as good as those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by joshwake
    You have got to be ****ing kidding me. Dallas has very good players in nearly all positions and a solid solid bench.
    Nonsense.

Old ass 38yo Jason Kidd
    Shawn Marion - At least 4 years removed from anything remotely resembling a "prime"
    Jason Terry - Old, pretty solid starter, but nothing special as a 2nd option
    Tyson Chandler - Solid big body. Send away for free at the start of this season
    Stojakovic - Broken. His first time being relevant since 06.
    Barea - Solid bench guard, nowhere near starter quality
    Haywood/Stevenson - decent defensive bench pawns.

As a supporting cast? It fits Nowitzki pretty good, but compared to 'championship supporting casts' in recent history they are worthless scrubs. This ain't no Gasol/Bynum/roleplayers. This ain't no Garnett/Allen/Rondo/Perkins/solid bench. Those supporting casts are waaay better, this supporting cast is not remotely championship material.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    There just isn't a logical case for Dirk above Barkley or Malone, and it'd be awfully hard to put him over Hayes. Doesn't matter if he wins or not, he's just plain not as good as those guys.
    I always lol at people who fit Hayes into these top 5 PF talks. He was known as the biggest choker of his generation, had a lot of chemistry killing moments with his team and his adjusted stats aren't even that impressive when compared to all the other all-time PF legends (career 49 TS% which is god awful from a PF, not a single season where his PER was over 20).

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

The Best Offensive PF is by far Charles Barkley, won`t even go into how he dominated the Mid Range and Post Play at almos Shaq like Efficiency

Dirk is 2nd in that aspect as scorer but Garnett and Webber where also better creators and passers than Dirk.

Dirk is one dimensional: a pure scorer

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    The Best Offensive PF is by far Charles Barkley, won`t even go into how he dominated the Mid Range and Post Play at almos Shaq like Efficiency

Dirk is 2nd in that aspect as scorer but Garnett and Webber where also better creators and passers than Dirk.

Webber was also a very average defender. He put up the numbers, but much of it was empty.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound

that's simply wrong. I doubt that there has ever been a PF you could run your entire offense through better than Dirk. You don't even need a good PG for your offense to work. His pure presence on the court opens up opportunities for his teammates, not to mention that he's probably the best pick and roll big man to ever play the game.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    Webber was also a very average defender. He put up the numbers, but much of it was empty.
    Webber was a Better than Dirk as a Total Player

I do say that Dirk is probably the Greatest Shooting 7footer Ever
    One of the Clutchest Evers

But he did not dominate like that of Barkley, Malone, Garnett or Duncan in more areas of the game

If he wins 10 rings i am not going to put him over those dudes because as simple as it is: they where better total players

I also consider Kevin McHale Better

Hayes Better

Petit Better

He is the Top 7-10 GOAT Pfs though

College star

McHale I'm done with this. We're talking about a career 6th man/1 time All-NBA-teamer who never was the #1 option on his team, heck, never had his team.