Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Will there ever be a GOAT-Tier small-stature NBA player?

With the tweaked rules that allow perimeter players to dominate the game (Giving them easy foul calls, allowing them to dribble without carrying obviously and sometimes giving them an extra step on the way to the basket), and with the advancement of the 3 point game as one of the most efficient shots in basketball. Will there ever be a GOAT-Tier player that is small-stature?

Think about it, Wilt/Kareem etc were GOAT-Tier because they were very imposing in the paint (The most efficient shot in basketball). Back then, there was no 3 point line and there were the rim protectors/ the anchor in defense as well as offense.

In the modern era, if the 3 point shot is indeed as efficient. (An article I read claimed that the league-average 2 point shot percentage was 48.8% ). the 3 point percentage equivalent to reach that efficiency is 32.5%, which most players can reach if not even higher. There should then be a Shaq/Wilt/Kareem dominant-equivalent player but the 3 point version in efficiency.

Closest would be Curry, I can already visualize a small guard scoring close to 25++ppg on 40/50/90 efficiency and then dishing out 10 assists/ 3 steals a game. If this guard leads his team to 5 rings or more as the main man, he should be in GOAT-Tier discussion..

Default Re: Will there ever be a GOAT-Tier small-stature NBA player?

Yes. He will be 6'1, average 26/9/5 for his career, and will be drafted in 2025.

Zeke is the closest we've seen.

West, Zeke, Iverson?

NBA rookie of the year

I honestly feel that Chris Paul, had he never gotten injured, would have been a GOAt tier player, at least ability wise if not career resume. What he did in 2007-2008, especially in the playoffs, was amazing. Haven't seem that level of court awareness in terms of reading defenses since Jordan.

Banned

Austin Rivers is the closest we got

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I think a small guy who's the consummate floor general like Magic. Probably someone like Chris Paul but with more team success.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Oscar Robertson was/is considered #1 GOAT by many.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    I think a small guy who's the consummate floor general like Magic. Probably someone like Chris Paul but with more team success.
    Sounds like Isiah to me.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Oscar Robertson was/is considered #1 GOAT by many.
    Oscar Robertson was 6'5".

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tgan3

Closest would be Curry, I can already visualize a small guard scoring close to 25++ppg on 40/50/90 efficiency and then dishing out 10 assists/ 3 steals a game. If this guard leads his team to 5 rings or more as the main man, he should be in GOAT-Tier discussion..
    the smaller-stature player will need curry's elite skill, but he'll also have to be dominant physically imo.

these guys could have a chance i think...

this guy's better than Wall at the same stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQr91d5g_sA

this guy's better than say Derrick Rose at the same stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs1ERE3uxJg

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    I honestly feel that Chris Paul, had he never gotten injured, would have been a GOAt tier player, at least ability wise if not career resume. What he did in 2007-2008, especially in the playoffs, was amazing. Haven't seem that level of court awareness in terms of reading defenses since Jordan.
    Was just gonna say this. Dude was only 22-23 during those seasons, if he stayed healthy he could've kept getting better for 5-6 more years. Who knows how good he could've been..

For players 6'1 and under, U got Zeke, AI, and Tiny for sure. Those three could dominate a game scoring and passing wise like the bigger perimeter players. And they can SCORE AT WILL on any style perimeter style defender big or small. So it has to be players like that for 6'1 and under players. If it wasn't for injuries, KJ, Tim Hardaway, and Mark Price could have been up there. For this era, I would say CP3 potentially down the road. He's still building his resume.

If u consider 6'3 a small stature player, then West would be your guy. But I hear debates about West height from 6'2 to 6'4. I think Monroe had the ability but not quite on West's level or resume. The next players down the pike who might be up there with West are Curry, Rose (if he can get healthy) and Westbrook.
    Last edited by bizil; 01-23-2015 at 09:53 PM.

1) Zeke
    2) AI
    3) Tiny

And CP3, especially before his knee injury. Closest it has got right there.