Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Whats easier, 1foot or 2 foot take off for dunking?

I was never a great 2 footed dunker. The best I could do really was a reverse, or just two hand power dunk.

1 footed was my thing. Could reverse pump, windmill and do a pretty ugly looking 360.

I think it's a preference thing. Human's are creatures of habit, so I guess what you grow up watching and practicing becomes more efficient. I never practiced 2 footed dunks since I was better from a one footed take off from the get go. The first time I ever tried to touch the ring I ran up and took off from one foot. Other kids ran up and powered up off two.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    i think 1 foot dunks are for taller guys with long arms. my wingspan is only 2 inch longer than my height so i think thats why 2ft is easier for me
    I guess that makes sense. I was more of an explosive leaper, but I'm short by basketball standards (5'9"), so I required 2 legs. If you are tall, you may not need as much explosiveness to your leaps and practice the 1 legged dunks.

I am 6'2 aswell, barely can dunk of two feet, but of one feet quite easily including reverse and some other stuff. And yeah might be right about long arms = 1feet dunkers, I have quite big wingspan.
    Last edited by Sakkreth; 05-31-2014 at 06:07 AM.

NBA Superstar

Like what PlowKing suggested, I think it's preference in a lot of regards. There might be a predisposition to a particular dunking style, but I think the general ease of one foot dunking versus two foot is relatively habitual.

Personally, it seems most beginning dunkers I know (including myself back yonder) attempt to do so while jumping off one foot. Perhaps it tends to allow for the most seamless transition between a momentous build-up and explosive takeoff.

That said, as I've mentioned before, there was a time where I discovered jumping off two feet (leading with my left foot forward), so I was hammering off two with a powerful windup. However, I somehow got so interested in two foot takeoffs that I more or less lost the ability to dunk off one foot for my junior and senior years of high school. As a result, my in-game dunking opportunities evaporated.

Long story short, I think a lot of the ease is, in fact, about habit. Once I re-committed to one-foot dunking post-high school, I began jamming in games all over the place. I like the feeling of two hand dunks (now a right foot forward two-hand dunker) but they're tougher for me to pull off on the run. Much better to be able to sprint and seamlessly rise off one.

I also say don't count yourself out of in-game dunking. I am just 6'3'' or 6'4''-ish. Depending on your age, you could still have a fair amount of strength development remaining.

2 feet if you're right under the rim since you're gonna need power.
    1 foot if you're away from the rim and need distance.

that's how it was for me anyway.

one foot dunks allow for more forward momentum because you aren't required to slow down as much as when you dunk off 2. Dunks off 2 feet have a higher vertical potential.

This is why guys with longer arms are usually 1 foot dunkers in the NBA. They don't depend on their vert as much to get the ball to rim level.

BG=short arms for his size as an NBA player.

Bigs who spend a lot of their time in the paint tend to go off 2 because they don't always have a runway to gather forward momentum.

I can get fingers over the rim off 2 (5'11 6'3 wingspan) and I'm not close off 1 with a running start.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I was never a great 2 footed dunker. The best I could do really was a reverse, or just two hand power dunk.

1 footed was my thing. Could reverse pump, windmill and do a pretty ugly looking 360.

I think it's a preference thing. Human's are creatures of habit, so I guess what you grow up watching and practicing becomes more efficient. I never practiced 2 footed dunks since I was better from a one footed take off from the get go. The first time I ever tried to touch the ring I ran up and took off from one foot. Other kids ran up and powered up off two.
    How tall are you?

Do you have vids? Because there is no way I can't believe you could dunk unless you were at least 6'5''

Quote Originally Posted by Bandito
    How tall are you?

Do you have vids? Because there is no way I can't believe you could dunk unless you were at least 6'5''

I see white dudes 6'2"-6'4" dunking at the outdoor courts nearest me and they aren't even good.

I believe plowking

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    Im 6'2 and i can only grab the rim. Thats off 2 feet tho. i can touch but not hang off of a 1 foot take off. I feel like it would be easier to dunk off 1 foot because i can barely get high off it but i can still touch rim. Any advice?
    Uh, stop being a beta and work on jump training mabye? At 30 years old 6'1 I could dunk off 1 foot. At 6'2, if you do some air alert you will be dunking over people like it's nothing.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    one foot dunks allow for more forward momentum because you aren't required to slow down as much as when you dunk off 2. Dunks off 2 feet have a higher vertical potential.

This is why guys with longer arms are usually 1 foot dunkers in the NBA. They don't depend on their vert as much to get the ball to rim level.

BG=short arms for his size as an NBA player.

Bigs who spend a lot of their time in the paint tend to go off 2 because they don't always have a runway to gather forward momentum.

I can get fingers over the rim off 2 (5'11 6'3 wingspan) and I'm not close off 1 with a running start.
    Hmm, I'll have to think about the long arm/one-foot correlation. I haven't really seen a real deal connection up to this point. I understand I'm only one instance, but as a short-armed 6'3'', I always felt one-footed dunking was easiest, simply because it was what worked for me.

Love Live Life

I used to be able to dunk both ways but 1 ft always seemed easier to me

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    Uh, stop being a beta and work on jump training mabye? At 30 years old 6'1 I could dunk off 1 foot. At 6'2, if you do some air alert you will be dunking over people like it's nothing.
    you are way too old to be trolling on this forum

1 foot usually is easier, most people don't stop to do a layup while driving or doing fastbreaks unless it's against a defender. Just more natural imo, but do whatever feels more natural to you.

1 foot running, 2 feet standing. Also, two handed dunks seem more natural off a two foot take off

Also you don't need to be able to palm the ball to throw it down with one hand. For some reason some dummies think that you have to