Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Default Re: Kobe Bryant

Kobe had the benfit of being coached by a man who coached JORDAN. I mean, how much more of an adavantage do you need?!?! People blame Kobe for emulating Jordan. He was only doing what his coach told him to do much like Pop told Duncan, "hey, go out there and be fundamental...that's your game."

Phil: Hey Kobe, Jordan use to do this on this play. Here's how you do it.
    Kobe: OK, let me give it a try that way this time.

Instant success.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    And Duncan got smashed by the Lakers (2nd round).

If your team can play defense, you can get a solid regular season seed with one star player.

But you will get exposed as one dimensional when they face real competition the PO.
    That's the point I'm making: the '01-'03 Spurs were mediocre as ****. Robinson missed half the Lakers series as well, which obviously didn't help.

Shaq and Kobe beating Duncan and a rookie Tony Parker should come as no surprise.

But look at what happened in '03: no other star player, beats prime Shaq and Kobe, wins title. Did Kobe ever do something like that? Of course not. He's never won without another star by his side (with one of them being clearly better than Kobe himself).

Besides, this is all moot. The main reason the '05 Lakers were so shit was because of Kobe. He gives the ball to Shaq in the '04 Finals, they win, Shaq and Phil don't leave, another year of contending.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    That's the point I'm making: the '01-'03 Spurs were mediocre as ****. Robinson missed half the Lakers series as well, which obviously didn't help.
    Right, both Kobe's and Duncan's teams were mediorce, but Duncan had a great defensive team around him that could stack up regular season wins (and get him easy opponents in the first round).

And don't try to slip in 2002-03. Parker and Manu had already raised their game and Jackson, Bowen and even Kerr made them a dangerous sharpshooting team. AND THEY PLAYED DEFENSE.

Shaq/Kobe after 3 championship runs >>>> NO Dirk >>>>>>> The Nets.

Besides, this is all moot. The main reason the '05 Lakers were so shit was because of Kobe.
    Last edited by Magic 32; 05-31-2014 at 03:22 PM.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

TLP you need to quit acting like Duncan's gay lover his wife was talkin about.

Basketball Genius

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    someone please tell me if duncan is really bi. i keep hearing rumors and jokes but idk if it's true or not

serious question.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 16X
    Because Kobe = ratings and profits if he's playing, no matter how much the team sucks. I know he hasn't been playing, but you pay the man and take that risk when he's such a money maker for the organization.

I'm not worried about winning titles. The Lakers have just been in 7 Finals. I'm not a greedy fan. I'm fine with sucking for a while. The Lakers are going to be like Jordan's Wizards next season, and that's actually not such a bad thing in my opinion. There's a very good chance Kobe goes down again and is out for the season, so if he's surrounded by sh*t teammates, at least we can tank hard once he goes down, and get an even better draft pick next year.
    Lakers dont have a pick next year

Why, because I'm making a valid point?

Refute what I said and then make that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LiftHeatCurse
    You have reading comprehensions issues.

Kobe's personality is in fact a reason why Phil left.

In 2004. Stop posting until you read posts and understand them.
    Relax. I was responding to this:
    Kobe, you would have had Phil Jackson from 99 through at least 11 and then likely 13 and beyond if you were the kind of selfless person and teammate Duncan was.

One Mizzou.

College superstar

But look at what happened in '03: no other star player, beats prime Shaq and Kobe, wins title. Did Kobe ever do something like that? Of course not. He's never won without another star by his side (with one of them being clearly better than Kobe himself).
    Let's not forget, the Spurs won 60 games while the Lakers won 50.

Personally, I don't think Kobe played that well vs the Spurs in '03, but aside from Shaq, that Laker team was pretty poor.

Rick Fox was injured and didn't play in the series and his backup, the great Devean George, missed a game with an injury. While Robert Horry also couldn't hit a shot to save his life. He shot 26% from the field, 57% at the line and he was 0/18 on 3s.

Brian Shaw was getting 21 mpg for the Lakers that series and he averaged just over 3 ppg and he shot 27% from the field, 20% on 3s and 50% from the line.

The Spurs were a better team. They had the best player in the league, home court advantage, Parker, Jackson and at times Ginobili were scoring threats, Bowen was the best perimeter defender at the time, they always had a solid big man next to Duncan whether it be Rose or Robinson and they had one of the great coaches of all time.

And despite that, if Horry's 3 doesn't rim out at the end of game 5, they go back to Staples Center with a 3-2 lead.

I think Kobe deserves blame for that series, but it's not like he had some huge advantage vs the '03 Spurs. The Lakers were very, very weak outside of their 1-2 punch by the time of that series.
    Last edited by Ne 1; 05-31-2014 at 08:26 PM.